How to Install New Wind Lace???

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 05:46 PM

How to Install New Wind Lace???

I just got the new wind lace for my 69 Cutlass for the rear 1/4s behind the doors. It says it is for a 69 Chevelle on the package but I think that is right because the catalog list the same number for both cars. The new units are the same as the old style in my car except the new pieces are several inches longer on top. should I just trim the new piece to match the original units? There is no cap on the top of these in the 69, or at least there weren't in my car so I think trimming is the right thing to do. My old units just were cut off at the top of the 1/4 panel skin and didn't wrap around the top and go to the window. Does anyone have any information on this or suggestions for me?
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:30 PM

I just removed one of the old windlaces and found I was wrong. The old unit is different on the bottom from the one I bought. The new wind lace is straight on the bottom and the old one has a 90 degree sweep at the bottom and has a corner piece sewn at the back of the bottom corner where the windlace bends down under the Fisher Body door sill plate and the corner goes behind the 1/4 panel skin. I have attached some pictures. I can make the new one work by just bending it in a sweeping 90 and pinching it under the sill plate, or can even snip the back flat part protruding from the round spline of the corner in several places so it bends better and does not kink. Has anyone replaced these and run into this problem. Now I am wondering if these are right or not. I bought them from OPGI and they are part No. 68AWC RD for a 68-69 conv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
117_1721.jpg (85.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg
117_1723.jpg (108.0 KB, 75 views)
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:18 AM

Smile Shorty

Hi, nice car; I always found that the windlace was always too short so if your new one has more stuff then let it follow further along at the bottom before trimming and the same thing at the top; if you trim first it is hard to stretch!!
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM

That is a good point, I will lay them in full length first and then trim to length. I was also wondering if I should remove the corner pieces from my old windlaces and sew them on to the bottom corners of my new ones so they would be the same. Don't know if I need to do that though?
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:25 AM

Smile Pack Rat

If you don't use the corners on your new windlace then put them away in a safe place, not like me where my places are all secret and it takes me two weeks to find out where the hell I put something!!
Old July 14th, 2021, 09:34 PM
OMC

How to install wind lance.

Originally Posted by Doug69Cutlass
I just got the new wind lace for my 69 Cutlass for the rear 1/4s behind the doors. It says it is for a 69 Chevelle on the package but I think that is right because the catalog list the same number for both cars. The new units are the same as the old style in my car except the new pieces are several inches longer on top. should I just trim the new piece to match the original units? There is no cap on the top of these in the 69, or at least there weren't in my car so I think trimming is the right thing to do. My old units just were cut off at the top of the 1/4 panel skin and didn't wrap around the top and go to the window. Does anyone have any information on this or suggestions for me?
I have new wind lanes also but my car never had any so I’m kinda lost on how the connect to the car behind the panel. You think maybe you can post a video or photo of how or where it is connected. Where the cardboard goes? It would sure be a help.
Old July 15th, 2021, 06:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OMC
I have new wind lanes also but my car never had any so I’m kinda lost on how the connect to the car behind the panel. You think maybe you can post a video or photo of how or where it is connected. Where the cardboard goes? It would sure be a help.
This thread is over a decade old. You don't need to post the same question in multiple threads. You'll get a better answer sooner if all responses are kept in a single thread, as this allows incorrect info to be identified more readily.