Looking to increase bench seat adjustment range / putting it further back

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2023, 02:31 PM

Looking to increase bench seat adjustment range / putting it further back

Well i'm somewhat taller and on long drives i really wish i could set the bench seat further back
in my 1972 oldsmobile cutlass supreme.

I've seen there are brackets to relocate the bench seat 2" further back (which apparently was even a factory option):
https://www.opgi.com/interior-access...7/ch33907.html
https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964...46#prettyPhoto

I have to 2 problems/worries with that:
1. I do not want to loose the ability to use the backseat permanently
2. My dad is a smaller guy and for him the car is perfect as it is. He should also be able to continue driving it comfortably.

Since those brackets move the seat 2" further back will there be still enough "adjustment range" back and forth
so that the backseat is still useable and my dad will still be able to reach the pedals when the bench is set all the way forwards?

Are there other options that do not set the bench 2" further back but just extend the adjustment range?
What is the best product out there?

Thanks,
Michael
Old May 11th, 2023, 05:17 PM

Michael, I suggest using the OPGI seat extenders you linked. Especially if it was an OE option. The only problem I think you'll run into is that the back seat will be pretty much unusable once you install the extenders and move the seat back. Especially if your Olds is a 2 door.

I am 7ft tall and once drilled holes in the floor board of my 64 98 to give the bench seat more adjustment. The problem with modifying a car is that the floorboard is only designed to support the seat during a wreck in the OE configuration. If you decide to drill holes in the floor board to relocate the seat you should weld gussets into the floor board to add strength to it.
Old May 12th, 2023, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
The only problem I think you'll run into is that the back seat will be pretty much unusable once you install the extenders and move the seat back.
But if i move the bench all the way forwards the backseat is still usable i suppose?
Old May 12th, 2023, 01:36 PM

Is your Oldsmobile a 2 door?

I suggest sliding the seat all the way foward, then slide it back by 1.5 to 2 inches. That will be the new front position of your seat. Then you can test the back seat.
Old May 12th, 2023, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Is your Oldsmobile a 2 door?
Yes!

I suggest sliding the seat all the way foward, then slide it back by 1.5 to 2 inches. That will be the new front position of your seat. Then you can test the back seat.
Good idea.