The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Electrical problem on a 4th gen trofeo

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM

Question Electrical problem on a 4th gen trofeo

My Toronado just recently shut down on me. All power is gone, and i do mean ALL! But my battery shows 12.3 volts at rest and all fuses are good. I read voltage at the power distribution block, the starter, and across the fusible links. I didn't check the one at the starter yet, cuz of clearance, but, how could that cause a whole car to loose power? I've even cleaned off all the corrosion that's gathered on the positive terminal to no avail. This car has more wiring and modules than Microsoft, so it's kind of daunting trying to figure out which direction i should go with it, especially with such a widespread electrical failure. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Winglessflight97
My Toronado just recently shut down on me. All power is gone, and i do mean ALL! But my battery shows 12.3 volts at rest and all fuses are good. I read voltage at the power distribution block, the starter, and across the fusible links. I didn't check the one at the starter yet, cuz of clearance, but, how could that cause a whole car to loose power? I've even cleaned off all the corrosion that's gathered on the positive terminal to no avail. This car has more wiring and modules than Microsoft, so it's kind of daunting trying to figure out which direction i should go with it, especially with such a widespread electrical failure. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
The large post on the starter solenoid is often used as a junction block. If it's loosened up, you could lose all power. Also, did you check voltage with a voltmeter or a test light? The problem with the voltmeter is that there is no current draw, so if there's resistance at the battery cable (or in any other joint in the wiring) the voltmeter will still show adequate voltage but if you try to actually draw current (like using the starter or the headlights) you'll get nothing. This happens occasionally on my 99 Chevy truck, and it's always corrosion on the battery terminal.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:58 PM

I appreciate the ideas. I did check all the points with a test light and across the battery with a voltmeter to get the number. I guess i should look at my manual to check for distributed power off of my starter. I knew an electrical problem on this car was gonna be a nightmare. Also, would a bad BCU, starter interupt, or bad ignition switch cause something like this?
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Do use the manual to your advantage - this is where it will really help you.
Start checking from the power distribution, on.
Check the grounds from the battery, to their terminations, too.
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. After you find the problem and get the car running again and the battery fully charged, double check the voltage. 12.3 is actually a little low without any load on it.
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Winglessflight97
Also, would a bad BCU, starter interupt, or bad ignition switch cause something like this?
Those would not affect the headlights, so if you don't have power to the lights it's a more basic power distribution problem. That part of the power distribution circuit really isn't that complex, though parts may be very difficult to access. You need to get the factory electrical manual and just start tracing the power distribution circuit. What I sometimes do is simply use a set of jumper cables to bypass a particular piece of wire to try and isolate the problem. At least it's not an intermittent electrical problem. Those are often impossible to find.
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:59 AM

batttery cables

Wingless, you said you checked the positive lead, but did you check the negitive? It's got to be somthing some what simple.Of corse easy for me to say as I relax here with a cool one.... Tedd
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
easy for me to say as I relax here with a cool one.... Tedd
Rub it in now...

Old June 24th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Wingless, you said you checked the positive lead, but did you check the negitive? It's got to be somthing some what simple.
I checked voltage straight across the battery, positive to negative. I haven't checked resistance to ground yet. I'm probably gonna check all of my grounds first, then start chasing voltage through the harnesses. It still baffles me that the power just quit like that though the battery shows decent voltage. It does sound way too simple, doesn't it? Now if only i could convince the car of that.
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:43 AM

my mom and dad have a 90 Trofeo. there car did the same thing. this may not be your problem but it is what they found. they took it to a GM service department that had a reputation for doing good work. they changer the BCM and did not fix it, then they changed the ECM and did not fix it. then they wanted to do other things and never got it figured out. my dad done some research and found another dealer that had a good reputation. they found that the dash panel had a bad circuit in it. they had to pull the dash and send it to GM to have it fixed. they told dad that it was something that happened on this model from time to time and that most dealer service departments won't figure it out. but yes there are tons of wiring and electrical in theses cars so it may turn out to be simple but there car was dead like you mentioned.
Old June 25th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Yikes! To be honest, i did hear a strange humming coming from the dash where the BCM and ECM are housed. I wonder if either one of them might have went bad on me? If checking grounds reveals nothing, i might just go on ebay and try those, since they're not too expensive now. Thanks for the feedback!
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM

We're scrapping an '88 Trofeo if there's something you need for yours let me know in the next week. Assuming you ever read this that is
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:52 PM

What color is the interior?
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:27 PM

Car is a deep red with red interior. Going to the scrapper in the next week or 2. It's located in Mansfield, Mass if your interested.

Here's a link
http://southcoast.craigslist.org/cto/1881625214.html
Old August 15th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Ahh... The parts that i need aren't compatible with a 1991, plus, i'd need to paint them black as well. Thank you though.
Old August 15th, 2010, 02:59 PM

did you ever figure out the electrical problem