The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Im new needing help rebuild my 455 for 71 olds cutlass s

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2013, 08:16 AM

Im new needing help rebuild my 455 for 71 olds cutlass s

I recently traded my dirt bike for a 71 olds cutlass s with a 455 engine and a 350 rocket. I want to start with rebuilding the 455. I don't have much money, hoping to spend only about 2500$ max on the engine. Where and what parts should I get for my engine? I would like to increase performance a bit but not spend too much cash. Thanks I'll also be posting pics of my progress through out the years. If I figure out how to post pics that is ha
Old November 10th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hercules
...with a 455 engine and a 350 rocket.
Welcome. Unfortunately, I'm confused. Is it a 455 or a 350? Or did you mean a 455 with a TH350 trans?
Old November 10th, 2013, 08:26 AM
NJ OLDS

I'm new also

Hey Herc..

I just joined here today and I also have a 455 that I'll be needing to rebuild in the future.

I'll be watching your thread for any information that you get from this incredible site.

Good luck!

J
Old November 10th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Welcome to both of you. I would first do a compression and leak down test on your engines to see what condition your rings and valves are in. I would also monitor oil consumption. Check your tune and see how it runs overall.
Old November 10th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Justin

Welcome ! If the car has a engine installed currently I like to get them running the best I can with simple maintenance
Then do compression and leak down tests.

Also depending on what you want to do 2500 is doable in a stock build with some upgrades
Sadly the down side to olds motors are parts are a bit more expensive and make sure any machine work that is done that they are familiar with them
Old November 10th, 2013, 10:26 AM

I have both engines. But I'm going to be working on the 455 and the engine is already taken apart right to the block. I was thinking of getting a rebuild kit for the piston heads, bearings, gaskets, etc. I'm just wanting to know what kind of heads to use and carb and distributor etc to get more up to date performance
Old November 10th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Does the engine need machine work? That will take a bite out of your $2500.
Old November 10th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Justin

I think you should sit down and figure out what you want out of the car nice weekend car or a street /strip or a drag car

With this said I was quoted 1k for basic work and assembly of the short block keep in mind with pistons and cam lifters that's around another 1k and that's not going top notch

And I was quoted 750 for my heads to be rebuilt with light port and polish job
Edit : also if you get to around 800.00 in head work then start looking into the pro comp heads but once again then your looking at Brackets and roller rockers.

Then add another 700 for gaskets intake and carb depending once again on what your needing

Then stock manifolds or headers rang from 300-1500 puls another 400 for exhaust all the way back

These have been basic quotes for my area and can change due to location as well as inflation

Last edited by oldstata; November 10th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old November 10th, 2013, 01:48 PM

I just want a street weekend beauty with good response. It doesn't need boring.
Old November 10th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I just want a street weekend beauty with good response.
Then why not keep the 350 that's in it and save a few grand?

- Eric
Old November 10th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Im a big fan of the small blocks., both the 455 and 350 will cost about the same to build. I have built strong runners in the mid 2k, low 3k and low 4k range I have gradually spent more as the desire for hp has gone up lol. On my current build I have 2k into the shortblock alone then add 1500 for the complete top end , then the cost of carb , dist, wires plugs , etc etc. Although my current 355 started live as a swap meet build banking on the fact it was already bored with forged pistons the block was junk and I broke even on that and spent the same as I where to start from scratch.
Old November 10th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Then why not keep the 350 that's in it and save a few grand?

- Eric

Or get it driving with the 350 and build a very nice 455 that you could drop in almost turn key ready
Old November 10th, 2013, 05:16 PM

Well my twin brother has a 81 vette with a 350 and he redid his top end and it doesn't have enough power so I'm thinking the 455 is the way to go.
Old November 10th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Justin

Well my twin brother has a 81 vette with a 350 and he redid his top end and it doesn't have enough power so I'm thinking the 455 is the way to go.
Have a shop look at your pistons,rods,crank ,and block it will cost you a few hundred and see what you can use in your build if you built it stock I bet you could keep in in the 2k range

Than again I tend to be the maw king lately
Old November 10th, 2013, 07:54 PM

first thing you should do is to be absolutely sure what you are really going to do with the car. this will save you a ton of money in the long run! good response from a motor can be very different from person to person. the 350 will be better on fuel mileage and can be fun. but if fuel mileage is not that big of a concern because its a weekend car I would not waste my time with the 350. if you build the 455 it will feel much faster due to the torque they produce at low rpm = fun! even a novice can tear motors down as long as you keep things organized and take a couple pics to help you remember a few things. then you can bring everthing {blocks,heads,cranks,rods/pistons} to the machine shop and see whats good and bad. that might help you make a decision. if you have a few basic tools assembling the short block is not that hard at all. and you can get all the help and direction for this right here. remember to ask questions here when you start buying/picking parts. so everything works together!
good luck Charlie,,,
Old November 10th, 2013, 08:28 PM

Thanks Charlie, that's exactly how I feel about the 455. Ha and I don't think I have a machine shop here. But I'm certain the block is good and I was just thinking of getting new heads anyway. Better performance and life for the engine.
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:22 AM

So is there any type of heads I should be looking into? and carb and distributor to make this all work together? Or if I look up parts that will fit an olds 455 engine will that just work?
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Justin

Stay away from j heads if you can get a set of c is said to be the best iron head but any thing is better than j heads I am using a set of ka heads I think depending on your pistons if there low compression it won't matter if it's big valve or small but if you run high compression I would go for big valve , small valve can be made to big valve but once again any more than 800 into iron heads I think I would look into pro comp heads
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Justin

Also I think 507olds had a set of g heads for 150.. Might want to check with him and see condition and shipping quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Justin

Check and see if you can make a deal here g heads

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/showthread.php?p=614065#post614065
Old November 11th, 2013, 04:35 PM

no offense and im new to this site but god dam dude you sign on to this web site and expect everyone else to do all the research for a build you want to do. why not google your questions and look through old threads and post. you would be amazed at what you can learn by looking into something your self and then you can ask questions that sound better and more accurate. but like i said that i am new to this forum and i know the other forum ive been part of you would be told to look it up your self before you ask simple questions.

if you are looking for parts you can look into summitracing.com or jegs.com or ebay.com. good luck with your new car.
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

FWIW I only take any advice online with a grain if salt. I would not google for advice. This site is here to help each other out . Everyone has to start somewhere.
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:02 AM

I have been looking on that site bit there are too many choices and I don't know the difference so that's why I'm asking more experienced ppl what they suggest.
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Justin

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...065#post614065

Not sure why the link wasn't working trying it again

I think he is looking to sell a rebuilt set of g heads
Old November 18th, 2013, 01:07 PM

How much do 15" factory rally rims go for?