The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to this forum

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2024, 12:56 PM

New to this forum

Hi all,New to this forum, but not to old cars. Got a handful to include a '64 Starfire convertible that's probably about 50% done. Car was found in San Simone Arizona and has been in my family for close to 40 years now.Not sure if this is going to post correctly, so bear with me. Rick  Just tried to post a picture here and everything went fine until I hit upload and it converted the picture into this OBJ box you see now. if the picture appears here while making the post, are you still supposed to hit upload?​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Last edited by Cadman-iac; April 21st, 2024 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Attach picture
Old April 18th, 2024, 01:16 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Cadman-iac
Hi all,New to this forum, but not to old cars. Got a handful to include a '64 Starfire convertible that's probably about 50% done. Car was found in San Simone Arizona and has been in my family for close to 40 years now.Not sure if this is going to post correctly, so bear with me. RickThis is the Starfire in it's current state. I haven't been able to work on it for 20 years, but one day I'll get back to it. Got too many irons in the fire.​​​​​​​
Hey, Rick. Welcome. You can start your own thread here in the "Newbie" or maybe one of our vigilant mods can set you up. When that happens, I'm sure we'd all like to see some pictures of your car!
Old April 18th, 2024, 01:24 PM
Running On Empty

Hi all,New to this forum, but not to old cars. Got a handful to include a '64 Starfire convertible that's probably about 50% done. Car was found in San Simone Arizona and has been in my family for close to 40 years now.Not sure if this is going to post correctly, so bear with me. Rick​​​​​​​This is the Starfire in it's current state. I haven't been able to work on it for 20 years, but one day I'll get back to it. Got too many irons in the fire.​​​​​​​
Welcome...

How To Post Pictures/Images
Old April 18th, 2024, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Hey, Rick. Welcome. You can start your own thread here in the "Newbie" or maybe one of our vigilant mods can set you up. When that happens, I'm sure we'd all like to see some pictures of your car!
. Thanks, yeah, I'm not sure if I've posted in the right place or not, and this is the first time I've visited this site, so I'm a total newbie here. ​​​​​​​ I just posted a picture, not sure why it didn't show up in my post, but I did find it in the gallery.
Old April 18th, 2024, 02:05 PM
Administrator

I moved your posts to its own thread. Welcome to the site.
Old April 18th, 2024, 02:56 PM

Welcome. Can't wait to see your Starfire.

​​​​​
Old April 20th, 2024, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I moved your posts to its own thread. Welcome to the site.
Thank you for your assistance on this, I appreciate it. I'm still figuring out how to navigate this site, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. ​​​​​​​ one question though. I posted a picture of my car in my first post, but it doesn't show up there. I found it in the gallery, but in the post all that shows is a small square with some letters in it. What did I do wrong? ​​​​​​​ another question, what is this option for "mobile three, or classic next generation or next generation 3.0? ​​​​​​​ Rick
Old April 21st, 2024, 04:57 AM
Running On Empty

I'm still figuring out how to navigate this site, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. ​​​​​​​ one question though. I posted a picture of my car in my first post, but it doesn't show up there. I found it in the gallery, but in the post all that shows is a small square with some letters in it. What did I do wrong? ​​​​​​​ another question, what is this option for "mobile three, or classic next generation or next generation 3.0? ​​​​​​​ Rick
With some sleuthing I found the images/pictures you posted. Obviously, something is wrong. I have my suspicions. I am not a Moderator/Administrator therefore I cannot make adjustments to any Threads/Posts on the forum; but, I'll provide some guidance.

(1) Very important to thoroughly read the URL link I provided in Post #3 (above). When providing information to help resolve this issue, be more specific - "...a small square with some letters in it..." doesn't provide any useful information. What are those letters (exactly)?
(2) It's possible the image/picture format is not supported by the forum (which makes me wonder how they managed to get posted to the Gallery - but glitches do/can occur). NOTE: Read in the URL link (Post #3) the supported file formats for posting images/pictures. My suspicion is you may have posted an image/picture which is not supported. I mention this because in another thread you state you see the letters OBJ in each box. Might these be the same letters you're referring to in this post? OBJ is an old file format which is not supported by this forum. The fact the images posted to the Gallery but not to the Threads/Posts makes me suspect the images/pictures you uploaded are the old .obj (OBJ) file format. Validate if this is true. If you posted images/pictures (files) w/ the .obj they will need to be converted/changed to an acceptable file format.
(3) Again, follow the directions exactly as provided in Post #3. Check back. We'll get this figured out.

Here are the images/pictures I found in the Gallery you posted. There might exist other reasons they posted incorrectly, but let's start w/ the possibility they're of the incorrect format.
These (below) are the only supported image (file) formats allowed.

Images/Pictures I found in the Gallery (are these the images you attempted to UPLOAD into your threads?)

Old April 21st, 2024, 05:19 AM
Running On Empty

Examining your member username it occurred to me "if" Cadman has a reference to CAD programming s/w there's a chance you might be uploading unsupported .obj (OBJ) file formats. OBJ (.obj) file formats are proprietary to 3D CAD programming/imaging s/w. Double-check you're not attempting to UPLOAD an OBJ (.obj) file format and use a file format acceptable for this forum.
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:01 AM

Yes, OBJ is what shows in the square instead of my pictures. Not sure why, as I understood it, all my pictures are supposed to be jpeg, and I've not had any problems with posting on the Cadillac LaSalle club website. Now one thing that I get that does not show up in your instructions for posting pictures is a message on my phone for permission to allow the app to use my camera. I've always restricted this since I'm a paranoid schizophrenic, (kidding), but I don't trust these apps. I keep my pictures stored on my phone only, no cloud or whatever else is out there. So when this pops up i select "this time only" which should allow the upload. It worked for the pictures I've already loaded, but trying it now i don't get anything, at least not this time. So I'll keep trying here until I get it figured out. ​​​​​​​oh and I've been using the mountain view icon, but this last time it nor the paperclip icon showed my picture after I selected it from my gallery on the phone.

​​​​​​​ Rick
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:06 AM

ok. This is a test. Please bear with me.
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:07 AM
Running On Empty

Yes, OBJ is what shows in the square instead of my pictures. Not sure why, as I understood it, all my pictures are supposed to be jpeg, and I've not had any problems with posting on the Cadillac LaSalle club website. Now one thing that I get that does not show up in your instructions for posting pictures is a message on my phone for permission to allow the app to use my camera. I've always restricted this since I'm a paranoid schizophrenic, (kidding), but I don't trust these apps. I keep my pictures stored on my phone only, no cloud or whatever else is out there. So when this pops up i select "this time only" which should allow the upload. It worked for the pictures I've already loaded, but trying it now i don't get anything, at least not this time. So I'll keep trying here until I get it figured out. ​​​​​​​oh and I've been using the mountain view icon, but this last time it nor the paperclip icon showed my picture after I selected it from my gallery on the phone.

​​​​​​​ Rick
Very possible you've found the issue. You most likely need to approve the ability of this site to access your phone (camera/image) in order to post (permissions issue). All websites are different in how they manage user permissions. Give it a try see what happens.
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:08 AM
Running On Empty

ok. This is a test. Please bear with me.
That worked.
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:12 AM
Running On Empty

Allow me to mention something. Threads/Posts inherit permissions and share permissions. Entirely possible the image(s) posted to the Gallery but not into your Threads/Posts because the permissions aren't the same between the Gallery and a particular Thread/Post. So, it allowed the image to 'appear' in the Gallery (which has less security) but wouldn't allow it to post into a Thread/Post simply because the Gallery doesn't share the same user-level permissions between the two.
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:13 AM

Test

My convertible and my wife's Corvette in storage. ​​​​​​​ I'm confused. This picture uploaded exactly like the last one, but immediately disappeared and the obj box popped up. What's going on here?
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Allow me to mention something. Threads/Posts inherit permissions and share permissions. Entirely possible the image(s) posted to the Gallery but not into your Threads/Posts because the permissions aren't the same between the Gallery and a particular Thread/Post. So, it allowed the image to 'appear' in the Gallery (which has less security) but wouldn't allow it to post into a Thread/Post simply because the Gallery doesn't share the same user-level permissions between the two.
The gallery I was referring to is the one on my phone though, not the sites gallery. ​​​​​​​ I did everything exactly the same for both of my last test posts, the first one worked, but the second one didn't.
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:20 AM
Running On Empty

I see the OBJ object in you last Post. Most likely some incorrect configuration on your phone in establishing permission to Post into a Thread. Often times it's easier for a user to lock themselves out of some abilities when they increase security context. Not sure exactly what you need to do, but Post #11 worked. You'll figure it out.

Old April 21st, 2024, 08:23 AM
Running On Empty

Sometimes if you say Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice three times it works.
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Sometimes if you say Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice three times it works.
I'll give that a try, lol!
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:42 AM

ok, not sure why this one uploaded, but I'll take it.
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:42 AM
Running On Empty

My convertible and my wife's Corvette in storage. ​​​​​​​ I'm confused. This picture uploaded exactly like the last one, but immediately disappeared and the obj box popped up. What's going on here?
Can only suggest it's a permissions issue most likely on your phone. Found your image though.

Old April 21st, 2024, 08:44 AM
Running On Empty

Need to figure out why it uploaded so you aren't worrying about this every time. Just remember not all Internet Websites are configured with the same types/forms of security permission(s)/configuration(s). Thus, what works on one site isn't necessarily going to apply to all sites on the Internet.
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:52 AM

My learning pace is equal to this guy's. Lol.
I did notice that if I allow the first picture permissions, that sometimes the next one doesn't ask for any permissions. Then when I go to my phone gallery and select a picture, it doesn't always want to upload to the site.
I will figure this out!!
Old April 21st, 2024, 08:57 AM
Running On Empty

It's most likely the setting(s) you have configured on your phone. Since there exist many phones, and far more permissions & security settings than we have time to discuss, the one I've seen which confused some (not on this forum) is the Control Center settings on an iPhone. If this is de-selected, almost any application which requires access to the camera will fail or will require additional individual select permissions if the application cannot access the Camera. Just a guess. You'll get it. Is Access Within Apps selected or de-selected?

Old April 21st, 2024, 09:15 AM

So i just tried to post this picture to another thread about this part, and everything went exactly as expected, until I hit upload and the picture disappeared and the obj box appeared in its place. I don't get this. One time it works, the next time it doesn't, and I was watching that I followed the same steps each time. What is going on here? I have noticed my pictures are in jpg format, which is one of the accepted formats for this site. does putting a description in the picture make any difference?​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​ Edit: When I quoted my earlier post here initially it showed my picture in the text just like in the quoted text, but I just noticed that it changed that to the obj box after I posted it. Why?​​​​​​​

Last edited by Cadman-iac; April 21st, 2024 at 09:21 AM.
Old April 21st, 2024, 09:18 AM

I guess I should have said what type of phone I have. It's a Samsung Galaxy S10. I had issues posting on the Cadillac site when I first joined and we figured out it was a setting, unfortunately I don't remember which one now.
Old April 21st, 2024, 09:34 AM

so here's what I've got for permissions on my phone for my gallery and the Samsung internet app. The first picture is a screenshot of an uploading picture file showing the type of file. Am I missing something here that you can see?

​​​​​​​ Well that didn't work either!! I give up.
Old April 21st, 2024, 09:37 AM
Running On Empty

Sorry, there are just so many variables here I won't be of any assistance. This type of interplay is dependent on several variables....I will mention (in particular) where & how your photos are (1) stored on your phone, photo (Gallery) storage you employ (Google, Cloud, etc.) and (3) the Browser you use. Each has very specific settings. As said earlier, often times easy to lock yourself out when you attempt to increase security settings.

I did a Google search for >>>"Samsung Galaxy S10 can't post pictures" - try it, maybe something you configured will refresh/jar your memory.
Old April 21st, 2024, 09:39 AM
Running On Empty

I am completely clueless on Samsung internet app. No idea what it is.
Old April 21st, 2024, 09:40 AM
Phantom Phixer

Here's hoping that you can find the time to get it cleaned up and roadworthy again.
Come join the "Darksiders" ( '61 thru '70 big car owners) at this thread.
61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite ! - ClassicOldsmobile.com
Old April 21st, 2024, 09:48 AM
Running On Empty

Rick - Attempting to address your issue(s) review this video...I believe you'll better be able to garner the interplay which may be a SNAFU for you. Good Luck!
Old April 21st, 2024, 10:56 AM

here's the first test since the update. Let's see what happens.
Old April 21st, 2024, 11:10 AM

Well that one worked. Let's see if I can duplicate the process. ​​​​​​​ok. Here's what happened. When selecting from where I want the picture from, as usual I chose "my device", only this time I didn't get the pop-up window to select "this time only" or "always", but every other step was exactly the same. The picture loaded just like the first time, and it displayed just like the first time, but when I hit upload it converted to the obj box. So somehow I'm not getting the option pop-up window to select from once it's popped up the first time. Any ssubsequent upload attempts don't bring up that window for whatever reason. ​​​​​​​ any ideas as to why?
Old April 21st, 2024, 11:57 AM
Running On Empty

You're in a pickle for sure.
(1) You have the latest/greatest s/w update for iPhone? Validate
(2) You have the latest/greatest s/w update for this thing you call Samsung Internet App? Validate (I have no clue what it is.)
(3) I'm assuming everything you're trying is via your mobile iPhone device? Have you tried uploading from a desktop/iPad/laptop (if you have one)?
(4) What Browser are you using to upload? Have you tried a different Browser. Are you using Safari or something else?

Check/Validate your mobile device settings. Did you change something in either the Website configurations or the Mobile vs. Desktop configuration parameters? Tap the two 'A' letters to view the dialog box.

Old April 21st, 2024, 12:14 PM
Running On Empty

Well, I had to lookup what the Samsung Internet App was. It is NOT an application. It is a Browser. There exists many Browsers i.e. Mozilla (Firefox), Safari, Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Chromium (which is what the Samsung Internet Browser employs). You need to validate your security/permissions configurations. You have another s/w program loaded on your iPhone which requires an update or is possibly incompatible with the Samsung Internet Browser?
Old April 21st, 2024, 12:20 PM

My phone is a Samsung galaxy S10 with the android operating system I guess is what you call it. The browser is "Samsung Internet" app on the phone. I checked for any updates for the Samsung Internet app but it's up to date, no new updates available. The gallery app had an update available so I ran that. It doesn't seem to have made a difference.
I tried switching from the paperclip icon to the mountain view icon but that didn't make any difference either.
​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​
Old April 21st, 2024, 12:25 PM
Running On Empty

Plot thickens. You're running Android and using a 3rd-Party 'Gallery' application. This is not necessarily the defacto default configuration of many users. But, I am suspecting this remains a configuration "issue" on your non-iPhone Android employing Gallery. Something is amuck (obviously). I don't use Gallery, but to be honest, that's where I'd suspect resides a configuration issue which warrants further investigation. Can you UPLOAD with no issues from a desktop/PC/laptop, etc. if you have one?
Old April 21st, 2024, 12:28 PM
Running On Empty

BTW, many times (especially on mobile phone devices) running an update for a 3rd-party app (Gallery) it's best to completely shut-down and restart the phone.
Old April 21st, 2024, 12:30 PM

Unfortunately I only have the phone. Since these have gotten so sophisticated, I haven't had a computer for years now.
Old April 21st, 2024, 12:36 PM
Running On Empty

Unfortunately I only have the phone. Since these have gotten so sophisticated, I haven't had a computer for years now.
OK. Let's deal w/ what you have. I just did a quick overview of Gallery. Rather a nice 3rd-party 'feature' but, I can see where the locking of any Album might pose issues w/ select/certain Browser interfaces and the "calls" (if you will) in negotiating security/permissions for websites (which I still believe is the issue).

I wonder....can you create and store an image "outside" Gallery? Then, try to upload that image (not stored in Gallery) to see if that works. I'm hesitant to say "move" an image outside of Gallery to a different location on your phone since often times files (images) retain security settings. So, if you can create/take a picture/image, store it outside of Gallery and try to upload that image it would tells us sumpin.

Quick Reply: New to this forum