The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Right Hand Drive 76 Olds 98 Regency In Australia

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Smile Right Hand Drive 76 Olds 98 Regency In Australia

G'Day! (haha thought you may find it funny)

I recently got a 76 98 Right Hand Drive that came from Japan as a embassey car the rego says it was last regoed there in 1982. Unfortantly the car had a tree fall on the roof but as i make video i traded a panel beater work and the roof is much better needs a vinyl roof which my gf got me xmas. But i have been videoing every step of the way from buying and plan in the next few months to have a few video to show the process its come.

But yea was looking for some 76 98 that are for wrecking as i need some chrome moldings and possibly some better condition red door trims and thus how i found this AWESOME forum. I have a good feeling im the only person in australia to have a 76 98 as we stopped getting Yankee cars around 72 and started producing pieces of ****!

Hope to speak to a few of you guys about olds as i have no one here haha
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:00 PM

It don't glow in the dark does it? Sorry.... maybe not a very funny Japan joke. We would love to see pictures of it. Welcome. you will find great info here.
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM

Pictures 76 Oldsmobile 98 Regency THE DAMM TREE

This is damange the tree did, the roof is straight now though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2790.jpg (80.9 KB, 101 views)
IMG_2791.jpg (73.3 KB, 78 views)
IMG_2792.jpg (76.2 KB, 84 views)
IMG_2793.jpg (82.7 KB, 83 views)
IMG_2794.jpg (53.0 KB, 80 views)
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Roof damage looks mininal

I would like to see a pic of the pedals. Are they the same as ours?

Oh yeah, welcome to CO
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nick - Welcome to C.O.
surprised to hear about a RH drive 98? Naw. Figured sooner or later one would pop up or pop down as the case may be.

I bet you'll be able to find a panel beater there who can fix that up. I'm more curious about whether it's got a standard or metric speedo seeing it came from Japan. I hear they're right sticky about the speedos registering in km/hr instead of mph.

There are several 98 "land yacht' captains on this site. If you want to talk 98's with someone who's got a passion for them? PM John - he goes by 76Regency on this site. He's got 2 of them and prolly forgotten more about 98's than I'll ever learn.

an, G'day right back at ya mate!
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:41 PM

No More Dents!

Here are some photos without any more roof dents and yes speedo is in Km/s

SO John is the man for parts?
Attached Images
IMG_3289.jpg (80.7 KB, 60 views)
IMG_3290.jpg (82.1 KB, 73 views)
IMG_3291.jpg (77.4 KB, 78 views)
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:42 PM

Pedals

Originally Posted by Redog
Roof damage looks mininal

I would like to see a pic of the pedals. Are they the same as ours?

Oh yeah, welcome to CO
Ill do that in the next few days!

Last edited by nickoff1; December 28th, 2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: they are the same, just taken from the left side to the right, your right foot does accelerating left does brake
Old December 28th, 2012, 04:46 PM

Here is a thread on the quarter fillers that go between the bumper and back quarters. He is having them made because there are no more originals out there.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ety-eight.html
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by nickoff1
SO John is the man for parts?
I don't know how much he has, but since he's got 2 76 Ninety Eights I'd think he would likely have some for them? He also knows a lot of guys who can likely source any parts you might need. Shipping to Oz might put a tear in the eye of your Sheila though.

Nice work getting the dent out. The thread John (2blu442) is referring to is for the tail light plastic filler that goes between the tail light and rear quarter. As of John's (76Regency) last info to us on this, the factory has corrected all the flaws. If you're interested in them, give him a PM and see what's up there.

Hmmm, There's waaaay too many John's in this thread..
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Hey ALLAN R,

thanks for the advice i messaged him, i actually have the two back fillers but a spare pare would be great so i leave in the land of **** cars, The Shelia (haha) i got her a XA coupe shell for christmas and we've been getting parts for that last few days so the cost from the states ain't gonna be a problem, she also got me a voucher for the vinyl roof for christmas to cover up the imperfection in the roof.

Thanks Again!
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:00 PM

Nice car! I'm sure it will look great when you get it done and be pretty unique over there---and anywhere for that matter being RHD! I feel your pain trying to do the resto overseas. I'm in the opposite situation as you though. I brought a LHD car to Japan Look forward to seeing it completed!
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck
Nice car! I'm sure it will look great when you get it done and be pretty unique over there---and anywhere for that matter being RHD! I feel your pain trying to do the resto overseas. I'm in the opposite situation as you though. I brought a LHD car to Japan Look forward to seeing it completed!
I was actually thinking of you when I asked about the speedo in the 76. Did you ever find the metric one you need for your 75? I'm thinking that the 76 RHD probably was built with export in mind, hence the metric speedo.

nickoff1 Any chance you know where your Ninety Eight was built? I'd love to see the cowl tag if you could post it.
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:12 PM

I did find a combination mph/kph speedo which is good enough, but I'm really chasing that elusive KPH only one. I've only ever seen one on a Hungarian car.

Nickoff1---do you know where in Japan that came from?
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:56 PM

YES the speedo is full KM's no half half, heres the details where it was made, it was an ex embassy car, oldsmobile wont give me any information about the car coz im not american, if some body will contact them from america to give them there address etc they will give them information regarding the car

Year:1976Division:OldsmobileSeries:Ninety-Eight RegencyBody:Hardtop SedanEngine:455 (7.5) V8 4BBLPlant:Lansing, Michigan
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:41 AM

You mentioned when it had been registered last. Do you know where in Japan it was registered? I'm just curious if it was the actual US Embassy in Tokyo or one of the several consulates around the country.
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck
You mentioned when it had been registered last. Do you know where in Japan it was registered? I'm just curious if it was the actual US Embassy in Tokyo or one of the several consulates around the country.
Actually got no idea???
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:14 AM

Hey guys, wow is this a new one even for me! Thanks for thinking of me as always guys...I love that I've become known as "The 76 98 guy"!.

Nick, I emailed you back and I am very curious about your car! I have NEVER heard of a RH drive Ninety Eight and now I can see why. Although I'm anxiously awaiting more detailed pics of the interior and engine compartment, I can see from Nick's pictures above what was done. The instrument panel on these cars is made up of 2 primary sections. The LH has all of the controls (lights, heat, A/C, wipers, etc), the speedo and radio. The RH is essentially all glove box. From what I can see in the pics, these sections were flipped. I can see the radio to the far right up against the RH door and the glove box is on the driver's side...VERY strange! I guess if you really love your car and the law requires it to be RH drive, you will get creative in making your own conversion. Trust me, I don't claim to know everything but this looks much more like a custom conversion than anything Olds would have done at the factory. These cars ONLY came from 2 plants, Linden, NJ and Lansing, MI. The firewall and/or frame have no provisions to mount a brake booster or steering geerbox on the right side so this would have to have all been fabricated.

Nick, please post some pics of the dash and engine compartment. I would love to see how this was done. Hopefully the conversion was done well and the car still drives like a 98!
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:30 AM

YES the speedo is full KM's no half half, heres the details where it was made, it was an ex embassy car, oldsmobile wont give me any information about the car coz im not american, if some body will contact them from america to give them there address etc they will give them information regarding the car

Year:1976Division:OldsmobileSeries:Ninety-Eight RegencyBody:Hardtop SedanEngine:455 (7.5) V8 4BBLPlant:Lansing, Michigan
Hi again. Unless some kind of custom speedo was made for this car, I would think there's something like a decal over the factory speedo showing KM vs, MPH but then again, what about the odometer? Unless the gearing was changed and calculated to convert the miles to kilometers, this wouldn't be accurate.

As for identifying the car, your VIN should start with 3X39T6M based on the details you gave and from what I can tell from the pics. The remaining numbers are the production number which I'm also a bit curious to know.

The car looks to be silver on the outside. What color is the interior and what color are you painting the car and what color top are you putting on? You may very well have the only '76 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight in Australia...you should be very proud! I know people in yet another far away land with one of these beauties....so cool!
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey guys, wow is this a new one even for me! Thanks for thinking of me as always guys...I love that I've become known as "The 76 98 guy"!.

Nick, I emailed you back and I am very curious about your car! I have NEVER heard of a RH drive Ninety Eight and now I can see why. Although I'm anxiously awaiting more detailed pics of the interior and engine compartment, I can see from Nick's pictures above what was done. The instrument panel on these cars is made up of 2 primary sections. The LH has all of the controls (lights, heat, A/C, wipers, etc), the speedo and radio. The RH is essentially all glove box. From what I can see in the pics, these sections were flipped. I can see the radio to the far right up against the RH door and the glove box is on the driver's side...VERY strange! I guess if you really love your car and the law requires it to be RH drive, you will get creative in making your own conversion. Trust me, I don't claim to know everything but this looks much more like a custom conversion than anything Olds would have done at the factory. These cars ONLY came from 2 plants, Linden, NJ and Lansing, MI. The firewall and/or frame have no provisions to mount a brake booster or steering geerbox on the right side so this would have to have all been fabricated.

Nick, please post some pics of the dash and engine compartment. I would love to see how this was done. Hopefully the conversion was done well and the car still drives like a 98!

Hey, your correct the sections were flipped but having the radio on the right isnt such a bad thing just means my gf can't change the music!

Yeah booster is on the left hand side, but then again i have a 71 galaxie/ltd that was put together in australia, and that also has booster on the left hand side. Ive driven the car around the block and seems to be allright, needs a service and all fluids changed i reckon.

Its got red interior, im trying to find some door cards, but the internet seems really hard to get bits i want, i got some parts from Chicago Muscle Cars Parts buts a bit expensive but i really don't have a choice.

Im making a video about the process of the car, video one should be up in a about 2 weeks. Heres a link to my page where the video will be in https://www.facebook.com/majcenfilms.

Ill take the photos over the next few days and send them to you, what would you like me to take them off?

Also i checked i didnt see your inbox message this is my hotmail nickoff1@hotmail.com

NIck
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by nickoff1: Ill take the photos over the next few days and send them to you, what would you like me to take them off?

Also i checked i didnt see your inbox message :( this is my hotmail [EMAIL="nickoff1@hotmail.com"
nickoff1@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]

NIck
Hey Nick,

I'll resend the email if you didn't get it. I'd really like to see pics of your car's dashboard/instrument panel and the speedometer. I'd also really like to see the engine compartment to see how everything was switched over. I've attached a pic of my black 98's dash so you can see how they came from the factory as a comparison.

John
Attached Images
Olds Dash.jpg (74.7 KB, 57 views)
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:56 PM
this is stressing me out

John, I love the black interior. That has got to be rare, as I have never seen it before.
Old January 1st, 2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by stressed1
John, I love the black interior. That has got to be rare, as I have never seen it before.
Thanks Scott. It's actually black leather and it is a pretty rare option. It was also only available in '76. I attached a shot showing the seats themselves and a couple of the interior of my other 98. The white interior is almost completely original. I had the lower door panels covered and I've rebuilt the dash and installed new carpets. The rest is original and all very nice still. The black interior is largely original but has been gone over top to bottom.
Attached Images
Olds Interior.jpg (61.1 KB, 49 views)
Red 98 Dash.jpg (78.4 KB, 20 views)
Red 98 Interior.jpg (62.5 KB, 44 views)
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Thanks Scott. It's actually black leather and it is a pretty rare option. It was also only available in '76. I attached a shot showing the seats themselves and a couple of the interior of my other 98. The white interior is almost completely original. I had the lower door panels covered and I've rebuilt the dash and installed new carpets. The rest is original and all very nice still. The black interior is largely original but has been gone over top to bottom.
That black interior is awesome looks so good! did that coupe come with factory black paint? thats what im planning to paint mine black and black, sorry haven't done the photos been busy pulling the motor from my 71 galaxie needs new rings so doing a rebuild, in Australia we have cars called valiants there by chrysler, bascially Australia stopped getting Yankee V8 from around 1972 so here holden(which is GM) ford and chrysler started there own, Holden Kingswood & Statesman, Ford Falcon Fairmont and Fairlane and Chrysler Valiant Regal And Charger i dont know where im going with this but thought you might find it interested as this is what mainly people have here im bit off the odd ball having yankee cars and especially being 24. i saw a another forum someone had some coupe thing convertible 442 and the forum were like yea for $3000 i might be worth they showed pictures! That here easily $12-15 its crazy!

Ill get you those photos and the email still didnt work, are you doing a private msg on this website or to my email
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:26 AM

That black interior is awesome looks so good! did that coupe come with factory black paint? thats what im planning to paint mine black and black, sorry haven't done the photos

Hey Nick,

My cars are the exact colors they came from the factory except that the black one is completely restored....frame-off restoration, new paint, etc. The red one is mostly original paint and the interior is mostly original as well. I'm lucky that those seats are so well preserved. The black front seats needed some work but the rear is completely original, as are most of the interior panels.

So you are going to make your interior black as well? I think you mentioned in another post that you needed interior panels...are yours missing or damaged? What color is the interior of your car now? Keep in mind, changing the color of the interior is very do-able but can be fairly difficult too depending on availability of certain parts.

Don't worry about the email I sent. It's all been summed up in here already
John
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:20 AM

I thought id better move this to the 98 forum

here is the link: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post493916

Hey John, ill keep the red interior and do black paint ill be happy with that.

Hey is it possible to recommend me places to get parts for this car unless you have parts your selling or friends.

Im after chrome, red trim, back right rear window regulator and back left door latch lock.

Nick