The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

What's up from Georgia

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2023, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
93 at minimum. It might grumble but long as you're not full throttle all the time you can get by with 93.
Exactly.

Jackhammer0312 my Supreme has same compression ratio as the W34. My car is set to factory spec on the timing. So 93 minimum like Rocketraider recommends. And I also try to put at least one octane booster with MMT on every fillup.

She still pings slightly from time to time. Especially if I am at highway speed on an extended incline. I believe 2000 RPM and up is the initiator for audible pinging...

100 octane which I have used from time to time at the track makes for a flawlessly running engine. But pricey and tough to come by in general ...

Old December 28th, 2023, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by schlitzguzzler1
.... hope it still has the high nickel 1969 block ...)
Hasn't this been hashed to death as "no such thing?"
Old December 29th, 2023, 07:44 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Jackhammer0312
I read somewhere that the FWD engine/transmission were extensively tested and tortured to make sure they'd be ok
They were. I've never heard of a drive chain failure. Torque converter and transmission, yes, just like any other car. But never a drive chain.

I think that's what chapped a lot of us when Jay Leno's German car builder converted Leno's 66 to rear wheel drive. Claimed the GM front wheel drivetrain wouldn't hold up to supercharged V8 power.

Guess he never met Hairy.

Hairy had TWO 1000hp supercharged 425s. One driving the front wheels, one driving the rear wheels, thru Toronado drivetrains.

So his argument that the Toronado drivetrain couldn't handle a supercharged LS is, quite simply, bullshit. Maybe a European FWD couldn't, but the GM unit could.

Hairy had a habit of bending his front steering tie rods under boost and taking off where Hairy wanted to go, but his transmissions stood up.
Old December 30th, 2023, 10:25 AM

Rocketraider, you sent me a PM, but I can't respond because the site says "rocketraider has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."
Old December 30th, 2023, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
They were. I've never heard of a drive chain failure. Torque converter and transmission, yes, just like any other car. But never a drive chain.

I think that's what chapped a lot of us when Jay Leno's German car builder converted Leno's 66 to rear wheel drive. Claimed the GM front wheel drivetrain wouldn't hold up to supercharged V8 power.

Guess he never met Hairy.

Hairy had TWO 1000hp supercharged 425s. One driving the front wheels, one driving the rear wheels, thru Toronado drivetrains.

So his argument that the Toronado drivetrain couldn't handle a supercharged LS is, quite simply, bullshit. Maybe a European FWD couldn't, but the GM unit could.

Hairy had a habit of bending his front steering tie rods under boost and taking off where Hairy wanted to go, but his transmissions stood up.
Awesome! Proves how awesome and well built they still are till this day!
Old December 30th, 2023, 08:25 PM

Some sad news, a big expense came up and I'm gonna have to save up a bit more before I can go and bring the Toronado to my driveway, hopefully its still available within a couple of months 🙏
Old December 30th, 2023, 08:58 PM
Banned

That could be a good blessing. These cars don't sell. Let the seller sit on it. And they will. Cars like this really don't have many people that care. That car is not worth seven grand to any Oldsmobile person that has a clue. That car is 4500 max.
Old January 1st, 2024, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
That could be a good blessing. These cars don't sell. Let the seller sit on it. And they will. Cars like this really don't have many people that care. That car is not worth seven grand to any Oldsmobile person that has a clue. That car is 4500 max.
Kinda good to hear then! I'd love to have this thing in my driveway and now I have gained more things too haggle about when/if I do go see it!
Old January 1st, 2024, 06:53 PM

Rocketraider, please review this post at your convenience.

"There were only 111 or 124 (depending on the source of info) 1968 W-34 Toronados ever produced." Doc Hubler https://toronado.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1590

6th post on the provided thread.

I guess my question is how accurate and if so are these the most rare Toros of all time ?
Old January 1st, 2024, 10:16 PM
Oldsdruid

111 1968s is the figure Olds historian Helen Earley supplied from the factory records. She had access to all of those and had a reputation as a stickler for accuracy. So I agree with the 111. I don't know where the 124 number came from but I suspect some cars have been counted twice. 111, 124, or whatever still a scarce car.

I also don't know of anything on the body data plate that indicates a W34 car. Not like a Hurst/Olds that was built in a specific timeframe or color.

Bottom line, except for the 1970 GT neither Oldsmobile nor GM really promoted the Toronado W-machine so most people never knew it existed. That's why they were scarce new and more so now.

Murky water on the Toronado W-machines, for sure.
Old March 14th, 2024, 06:46 AM

Good news, its still up! Life got in the way for a bit again but now I'm in a position to hopefully get it within the next month or so if all goes well. Thanks again for all the info guys and will update here again if I do end up getting it.
Old March 14th, 2024, 03:20 PM
Oldsdruid

🙂👍

Let us know how things go. TOA folks are aware you've found it so they're anticipating it finding an appreciative home.
Old April 30th, 2024, 09:35 AM

Long time no see to anyone who sees this, looks like I may not get the Toronado as another cool car has come up that would be cheaper but also unique (not as unique as the Toronado though!). Here's the link to the Toronado if anyone's interested:
Facebook Post

I'm sure it'd prolly be the best if someone here went and got it as much as that pains me to say because I will most likely never see another Toronado like this for sale gain unless I travel to the middle of the country lol.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 04:30 AM
Banned

Welcome