1968 Olds 98 Power windows/seats not operable

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2020, 10:32 AM

1968 Olds 98 Power windows/seats not operable

On my 1968 Olds 98 convertible, t

his morning when I tried to roll down the drivers side window, nothing happened. neither did the seats work. I checked the 20 A fuse, it was okay. I went ahead and replaced it, but nothing happened. On reading thru the Chassis manual it talks about a circuit breaker that is located on the left side front of dash in the engine compartment. I have attached a picture of the engine compartment. Could someone help me identify where the circuit breaker is located and how do I go about checking it if it needs to be replaced or repaired. Thanks
Old October 8th, 2020, 01:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dukeomer
On my 1968 Olds 98 convertible, this morning when I tried to roll down the drivers side window, nothing happened. neither did the seats work. I checked the 20 A fuse, it was okay. I went ahead and replaced it, but nothing happened. On reading thru the Chassis manual it talks about a circuit breaker that is located on the left side front of dash in the engine compartment. I have attached a picture of the engine compartment. Could someone help me identify where the circuit breaker is located and how do I go about checking it if it needs to be replaced or repaired. Thanks
The circuit breaker should be below and outboard of the wiper motor, so not visible in this photo. Of course, the more likely cause of your problem is the isolation relay. This relay disconnects power from the seat and window circuits unless the key is in the RUN or ACC position. The relay is located under the dash, near the center. The contacts on the relay get pitted and burned and it eventually stops working. This is shown in Chapter 16 of the Fisher Body Manual.
Old October 8th, 2020, 02:16 PM

Circuit relay

I took another picture of the firewall from the engine compt. is this the circuit breaker for the windows/seats/top?

Let me take a look at the dash underneath the center and see if I spot a relay.
Thanks for your help
Old October 8th, 2020, 02:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dukeomer

I took another picture of the firewall from the engine compt. is this the circuit breaker for the windows/seats/top?
Yes, that's it. All you have to do is pull the cover off and test for voltage on both terminals. It should be hot all the time.
Old October 11th, 2020, 12:00 PM

So I checked the circuit breaker and it was good. Both terminals were hot. From the output terminal two wires went through the firewall into the cowl. When I looked under the dash at the fuse box, I saw the pink wire was loose. I plugged the spade terminal into one of the terminals , switched on the ignition, heard the click of the relays and wallah the windows/seats/top were now functioning. This does not look like the factory wiring method. The previous owner must have done some changes it make it work.
Old October 11th, 2020, 02:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

The pink wire into the fuse box is correct. The Scotchlock connector indicates that at some time in the past there was an aftermarket accessory spliced into that power wire, since removed. Those Scotchlock connectors are crap and should be illegal.
Old December 3rd, 2020, 12:10 PM

The relay in my customers was behind the carpeted panel beside the parking brake assembly. It was the issue with is seat and windows not working. I had to wire in a replacement as I couldn't find an original.