1979 Ninety Eight Regency - Rear sail panel reading light

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2023, 07:59 AM

1979 Ninety Eight Regency - Rear sail panel reading light

If you have seen my post in the "Newbies" Forum, you know I just acquired this pristine '79 Ninety Eight Regency, with just 2,600 miles.

Getting to know more about the car now. The rear sail panel reading lights were not working, so I removed them to find the passenger side just needed a bulb. However, the driver's side was totally missing, not just a bulb, but the entire socket. All I found was a bare wire sticking out. See photos. The first photo is the correct passenger side. The second photo is what I found when I removed the lens cover on the driver's side.

Any ideas to where to find the missing beige colored socket so I can attached the bare wire and then insert a new bulb? I am convinced the car left the factory with the missing bulb socket.

Many thanks!

Old April 29th, 2023, 09:10 AM
Oldsdruid

That wouldn't be unusual given GM quality control (or lack of it) in that era.

One thing I'd do ASAP until you get the socket is to tape the exposed end of that wire with electrical tape to prevent shorting it out against body structure metal.

The socket appears to be same as used in exterior side marker lamps. Try a NAPA or other reputable parts store. Show them the picture and see what they can find.

If no luck, I have a 76 Custom Cruiser wagon that's headed to the scrapyard. I've been salvaging exterior lighting plugs and sockets from it for my 76 Regency and it still has the rear marker sockets.

This is a case where you might need the FB manual. I'm not sure how the sailpanel lamps are mounted or what might have to be taken apart to access the lamp socket.

Here's two versions of this socket. You may need the right-angle version.

Old April 30th, 2023, 06:55 PM

That car looks brand new!
Old May 1st, 2023, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
That wouldn't be unusual given GM quality control (or lack of it) in that era.

One thing I'd do ASAP until you get the socket is to tape the exposed end of that wire with electrical tape to prevent shorting it out against body structure metal.

The socket appears to be same as used in exterior side marker lamps. Try a NAPA or other reputable parts store. Show them the picture and see what they can find.

If no luck, I have a 76 Custom Cruiser wagon that's headed to the scrapyard. I've been salvaging exterior lighting plugs and sockets from it for my 76 Regency and it still has the rear marker sockets.

This is a case where you might need the FB manual. I'm not sure how the sailpanel lamps are mounted or what might have to be taken apart to access the lamp socket.

Here's two versions of this socket. You may need the right-angle version.

Wow...fantastic information and photos. Local NAPA has these sockets in stock. But, you're right, the harder act is the installation...removal of the light itself will be part of the solution. Probably above my pay-grade, but at least it's a great start for my trusted mechanic.

Many thanks for post.
Old May 1st, 2023, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by vintagepne
That car looks brand new!
Thank you. With 2,600 miles, as you can see from the photos, it was perfectly stored and preserved. I am very fortunate to be the next care-taker. I have owner records and original documentation back to the original dealership and owner.
Old May 6th, 2023, 08:22 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

That's one sharp ride ... think I saw it listed online in the past.

Some of the best colors one could have in the 77-79 cars too IMHO.

The 77-79 Ninety Eights are some of my favorites as most years have fender skirts ... which are something I always look at & want to permanently remove, which is more often than not impossible without getting into major reconstructive surgery.

Always found it interesting someone skipped over the fiber optic lamp monitors being it has the moonroof & cornering lamps.

A set of later locking wire wheels would look real nice on there as well (sorry small scanned crappy polaroid pic from the mid 1980's).

I wonder despite that cars low mileage & the fact it was well cared for ... if it suffered from the drooping headliner most did.

Perhaps the headliner & sail panels were re-done & someone man-handled the lamp socket on the one side & boogered it up.

Last edited by ThePackRat; May 6th, 2023 at 08:28 PM.
Old May 15th, 2023, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the kind words, PackRat. I'm way ahead of you regarding the wire wheel covers. I found an OEM set online, and they arrived last week. They really make the car look sharp. Headliner is perfect on top, with just a few loose areas on the sail panels surrounding the pesky reading lamps. I can live with it.

Old May 15th, 2023, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by jasesquire
I found an OEM set online, and they arrived last week. They really make the car look sharp.
Inquiring minds need to know! Post some more pics, NOW!
Old May 15th, 2023, 08:35 AM
Oldsdruid

Wires?🤨 They make these cars look like a Florida retiree car.

To make a 77-79 Ninety Eight pop, you need these. The N82 chrome wheel option.