'63 Cruise Control Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM

'63 Cruise Control Disappointment

I recently won an auction on eBay for a factory cruise setup for a '63 full size Olds to put in my 98. Unfortunately, the dial and dial housing are both broken to the point where it is questionable whether I can repair them to usable condition. My question is whether anyone out there has the dial or knows where I could get it. I am guessing that the answer is no, but while I am dreaming, I also could use the cable going from the dial to the cruise unit, the speedo cable from the cruise unit to the front wheel, and the plug that goes into the cruise unit.

I'm not expecting much help here, but any port in a storm. Bummer.
Old April 8th, 2007, 04:22 AM

Paul, thanks for the response. I am thinking that I may see what I can do to repair the unit I have. I don't know whether the broken pot metal can be fixed but I am thinking that the plastic parts that work the cable could be reproduced by a machine shop, assuming I can get everything apart. It looks like the hooked end of the cable broke off, and the white piece into which that goes broke, as well as the black cable clamp part. I think I can heat the cable and add a new hook to it, and then lengthen the reproduction of the white interior piece to make up for the difference in length of the cable. So I think plan A is going to be to try to fix what I have.

I might be able to get the connector from Clark's Corvair Parts. They have a lot of those things. I'll hunt there.

Mostly last night I was really discouraged by the number of parts that need to be repaired or replaced. I am going to have to find a machine shop that is willing to do small jobs, so that will be a challenge. I think I know where I can send the housing, if it is repairable at all.

I'm curious, how well do these work when they are operable? I have heard this setup described as being pretty Mickey Mouse, but having seen it, I assume this derives from all the plastic in the control head. Does it do a decent job of actually controlling speed?

Also while I was on vacation, my dealer color and uphostery selector which I won on eBay came. What a cool thing that is!
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM

I'll try to describe all the broken parts. It's at the office and I am at home, so I am doing this from memory based upon a five-minute inspection last night when I was there to pick up the cat (long story).

First, there is a chrome housing that holds the dial. On a '63, this is located vertically on the left inside of the dash overhang. There is a set screw in the bottom of this, and a loop that goes to the left of the dial. That thin loop was broken off, apparently in shipping. That housing appears to be die cast, and will have to be repaired. The hoop on the top is what the set screw turns against, so I am doubtful that JB Weld will solve this one. I have to examine how the button that turns the cruise off attaches to this part, but assuming this can be removed without destroying it, I think my best bet here is to send it to a place that specializes in restoration of pot metal parts. Whether they can weld or otherwise reconnect these parts, I just don't know yet.

Second, the dial itself has a broken section. This I think I can repair--one of my four thousand hobbies is building plastic models, and I think this is one I can fix. By the way, the dial has an "OFF" position, and then just numbered settings going I think to 8, no speeds indicated. The lighting on it is a real sweet green. I like the look of this piece very much.

Third, the white nylon piece that attaches to the cable appears to be broken off where the cable goes into it. I think this part has to be reproduced.

Fourth, the black piece inside of which the white piece rides that clamps the cable sheath is broken off where it steps down to two sides from four. I think that I probably could repair this with some JB Weld and some reinforcing material. Plan B would be to have this part reproduced in metal, because, let's face it, plastic degrades over time and it will probably just break again.

Fifth, from what I can tell, there used to be a right angle bend in the end of the cable where it went into the white nylon part. Now, there is just the start of a bend in the cable. My current thinking is to cut off what is left of the bend, pull the cable out of the sheathing, scub it down with 0000 steel wool, coat it in WD 40 or maybe some graphite, slide it back into the sheath, clamp it in a bench vise with about 3/8 in. sticking out, heat it with a torch, and put a new 90 deg. bend in it. Hopefully, it won't be too short for the unit to work right. However, without lubing this cable, I don't see how I can make a permanent repair.

I really appreciate your experience with these units as it is all new territory for me.
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:46 PM

One other thing is I hope that the sensitivity to road conditions isn't an issue with mine as I live in Michigan and our roads are pretty cratered as a result of deterioration caused by road salt in the winter.
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM

I thought I would post some pictures of the parts I have been describing.

The first picture shows the broken control housing:

This morning I shipped this part to International Chromium Plating in Providence, RI. They were recommended to me by a Harley restorer here in town. They think they might be able to repair the part.

This next picture shows the cracked dial.

I was able to pry out the green plastic number disk. I think I can glue this back together using JB Weld. I will then sand down the flat side and paint it gloss black. I don't plan on painting the knurled side since that's the part you turn with your finger and I think I will be better off leaving it alone.

This picture shows the cable.

I originally said that I thought this had been cut. Looking at it more closely, I am not so sure. Is this all the hook that they put in this thing?

This last picture shows the control head itself, or what's left of it.

Unfortunately it's a little blurry, but you can see that the white part into which the cable hooks is broken, and that the extension of the black that clamps on to the cable housing is also broken off. I think I can JB Weld the black part back together, but the white part is going to be tough. I would love to locate the guy who reproduced these.

In doing further research I learned that these units were made by Perfect Circle, the same company that made piston rings. The inventor, Ralph Teetor, was the vice president of Perfect Circle. Ralph was blind from the age of five and was riding with his attorney, who would speed up and slow down while he was driving. From what I can tell, these units were used in many different makes of cars, including Chrysler products. I have been told that the control head I have was also used in '62 Oldsmobiles. Can anyone confirm this, or any other makes/models in which it was used? It might help if I can widen my search.
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Paul, thanks for the thorough response. I really appreciate it. I think I will be able to fix the housing and the ****, but the control mechanism is dicey. I don't have the rest of the white piece.

Does the push button turn it on or off?

Thanks.
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Paul, I gotta get a copy of that book. Another awesome illustration.

There appears to be a bracket that attaches to the firewall. Is that part of the stock throttle connection, or a cruise part? My car is in storage, so I can't go out and look.

There is a complete '64 Caddy setup on eBay right now. I asked the seller to send me more detailed pictures of the control head yesterday, but so far he hasn't responded. I wouldn't mind scoring this because I am also missing the speedo cable that goes from the cruise unit to the left front wheel.

As far as contacting the seller, he was contrite, but it's not like he can go back to the warehouse and grab another one. The damage was done. Candidly, he packed the thing into too small a box, but there's little to be done about it now and I am not one to make a huge fuss.

I think the chrome platers will be able to fix the housing and even though it will cost me some money, the up side is that I will have a very mint appearing housing. I have just about eliminated any trace of damage to the dial, so that will be fine. The other part I knew was broken going into this.
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Now I am a little embarrassed. I asked about the linkage on the firewall, which is circled in red on the right side of this picture.

Studying the picture further I realize now it is the accelerator lever coming through the firewall from the pedal. Silly me.
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Past Administrator

what is that green stuff in the picture that looks like christmans tree needles?
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:03 AM

The picture came from the seller. He sent me a CD showing how things were before he took them apart, which I greatly appreciated.

I think that this Starfire had been converted to a wilderness preserve for some time before my cruise came off.

I'm ok with Don, the seller. He's a nice guy and he had to spend more time than he wanted to dealing with me, I am sure.

I got some additional pictures of the Caddy unit on eBay, and it looks like it isn't going to do the trick. Well, I am in no hurry....