64/98 windshield installation questions

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2014, 07:32 PM

64/98 windshield installation questions

Using the advice from this forum, I picked up a new windshield for my 64 at the Spring Carlisle show this past weekend. I found a shop that is experienced in installing windshields into older cars. He told me to get a new windshield gasket and new molding clips for the windshield as well.

I was looking for advice on where to get the new gasket for it and if my 64 has clips that I need to replace. I checked in Fusick's catalog, and they do not list a clip. I saw a gasket listed on Ebay, but I'm not sure if that is a good place to get it.

I'm still learning a lot about my 50 year old Oldsmobile, and still need help with it!
Thanks

Adam
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Oldsdruid

Steele Rubber probably has the gasket and is a reputable source. Not sure on clips, though the 1964 Body manual should tell you style and location. If you don't have the manuals it may be on WildAboutCars.

Keep in mind you'll need to order that seal by the body style number as there are differences in 2-door, Holiday Sedan and Luxury Sedan windshields.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:17 AM

I went through Rubber The Right Way. The guy knew his stuff and pretty much kept lists from when people ordered rubber kits for the cars. I got a windscreen seal also as well as a whole car rubber kit.

I was lucky to not need many clips, but when I was looking for the ones that I needed to replace, I found Fusicks online catalogue helpful, it is a different catalogue to the one on their website.

What I did have trouble finding were clips that hold my stainless strips to the fender, door and rear fender tops. I actually found them as they were used and listed under a 1958 Oldsmobile as mine is a 1959 model.

Maybe scout the years either side of your car, they might have carried them over from other years as well.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:28 AM

I ordered my gasket and clips from an ebay seller named Route66Cruisers. They were able to get me the correct gasket and clips. I haven't received them yet, as I just ordered them, so I can't comment on them any further at the moment. I know it's terrifying to have a windshield in my dining room with a dog and a 1 1/2 year old running around. So it'll get installed ASAP after receiving the parts.

Thanks
Adam
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:01 PM

Not to be a downer but there could be some rust issues under the trim and gasket, you may want to have a backup plan if repairs are needed.