66 98 Non-A/C Gas Tank - what interchanges?

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2021, 04:45 PM

66 98 Non-A/C Gas Tank - what interchanges?

So my '66 98 gas tank has a loose internal baffle that squeaks going over most any bump and is prominent at low speeds.

As far as I recall the tank is original to the car with no return line as an A/C would have. I'm sure 65-66 88's, 98's and Starfire tanks would interchange, but I don't know if 67 and later years would interchange. Cutlass tanks have to be different though they are reproduced.

The big question is repair my otherwise good tank, or get a boneyard one which might be worse. I know of a few places to call here in CA and thought I'd get to smilin' & dialin' tomorrow, but it'd be great to know if 67-70 or so might interchange.

The repair isn't terrible, but if I can find a good used one, I'd rather not have my guys open mine up just to repair a squeak. Tank integrity and all that, but 55+ years later boneyard ones are often pierced, bent and rusted or the filler neck can be busted off, or other problems. I recall seeing many pierced ones when the cars are lifted by the forklifts by the tank...

In short, do any of you know what big car tanks will interchange with my '66 98, or maybe have a good one to sell? Guessin this is a pretty rare item these days and shipping won't be cheap. I can drive most anywhere in CA, so shipping is not necessarily needed either, if some has one, uh "locally".

Thanks in advance
Chris
Old May 24th, 2021, 05:04 PM

Just checked in with GM Sport Salvage. They report that this tank is 65-66 98's only according to Hollander's.

But then we both agreed that sometimes the differences are something really stupid and don't actually prevent interchange.

Thinking about it, if I had to guess, I'll bet the 98 tank filler neck is longer than the 88/Starfire filler neck.
Old May 25th, 2021, 05:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just FYI, the return line is part of the sending unit, not the tank itself. The tanks are the same for A/C and non-A/C applications. It's the sender that's different.
Old May 25th, 2021, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the reminder. These parts go wrong so rarely I forgot about the A/C vs. Non-A/C difference fuel sender being the difference.

In 40 years, I’ve only ever replaced the fuel senders one time per car. I kept my old ones as spares just in case.

Am I following the right path going for a better used tank rather than cut and repair my known almost-good one?

Not sure what my odds are all these years later on finding a good used one in a reasonable length of time. Of course I could always live with the squeak until I find a good used…

Thanks again for your guidance.
Chris