72 Olds 98 Fuel Tank Sending Unit Repair - Hopeful

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2023, 01:37 PM

72 Olds 98 Fuel Tank Sending Unit Repair - Hopeful

Found a Vendor that can rebuild our existing odd canister type sending unit:
If you have the time to wait it is an option.

Canister Type Sending Unit

Filter Sock

Tri-Starr ( sendingunitguy@gmail.com)
The correspondence I had with them:

Hello there.
I am in search of a New NOS or can you service and rebuild or refurbish my existing sending unit.
It seems to be a one off thing for Oldsmobile 98’s in 1971/1972.
See images attached.Car is a 1972 Oldsmobile 98 LS with a 455 4bbl and A/C.
The existing tank was cleaned and sealed and painted on the exterior.
25 US Gallons or 20.8 CDN or UK Gallons = 95 Liters.
Temporarily we installed a 72 Chevy Caprice sending unit but it’s a bit short and doesn’t quite read in the best possible way.

Please let me know.
Thank You so much.
Eugene

Response:

Hello Eugene. Samantha here. This is what is called a "canister"-style unit. They were used by GM between the years 67-72 in many of their cars. Yes, we can rebuild them. They will not look original because the float inside is not produced anymore. It is unique to this style unit. What we do with them we call a retro-fit. We cut off the unit under the top plate and build a standard pivoting float arm style unit below it. For this we charge $225.00 and we warranty all our work for 1 year.

This issue currently is our turnaround time. We are running 6 months from the time we receive the unit. As a result, we are not currently accepting any units for rebuilding till we have been able to catch up to a more reasonable degree. We are asking people to contact us again in 3-4 months time. We are hoping to have that turnaround time cut back to 2-3 months by that point.

I am sorry we cannot be more helpful at the time. ~Samantha

Thank you for your understanding Eugene. I appreciate it.
The 72 Caprice does use the same ohms readings as your Olds unit (0-90) so the gauge will match up but as you said it is a little shorter unit so the float swing will be slightly off. In addition it sounds like the fuel level sensor in the Caprice is going out as well.
Hopefully in the spring we will be able to get your unit turned around within a much quicker time period.

I will be seeking out their service in the spring on 2024 unless I strike an NOS unit someplace in unobtanium.
Cheers
Eugene
Old November 1st, 2023, 02:03 PM

I'm not familiar with the company, but if you want to avoid aftermarket replacements that might be the way to go. Just make sure you do any transactions with a credit card for your protection. None of that Friends and Family PayPal baloney.