'72 Tiffany & Co. 'Special Edition' Ninety-Eights?!

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:27 PM

great cars. those cars rode better than any new car can. the new cars don't have enough weight to ride that good.
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM

Oldsmobile 98 1972

Here is one for sale in Sweden
http://www.blocket.se/jamtland/Oldsm....htm?ca=15&w=3
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey guys, I just found another '72 Regency on Ebay. This one looks like it's in beautiful condition. Although the color looks a little bit on the green side vs the Tiffany Gold...maybe it's just the lighting? Anyway, it's a beauty and I wanted to share it with you guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/57K-O...5bc3d430#v4-35
Here is the place selling that Olds...... http://www.streetsideclassics.com/sh...ile-Regency-98
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by wixom61
haha, what terrible slogan wording.

it makes me think "Oldsmobile: Our moms tell us our cars are kind of good."
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Land Yacht Captain

It would be extremely easy for a modern vehicle to handle like that. Auto OEMs would rather their vehicles handled safely.

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
great cars. those cars rode better than any new car can. the new cars don't have enough weight to ride that good.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM

He wasn't referring to the handling of the car though Craig -- he meant how it RIDES...(SMOOTHLY down the road...oblivious to bumps etc. "so to speak")
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
According to Setting the Pace, the Regency Brougham first appeared in 1982. Beginning in 1983, every 98 was a "Regency" something. That year there was the 98 Regency Coupe, Regency Sedan, and Regency Brougham Sedan. 1984 was the same. 1985 saw the addition of a Regency Brougham Coupe. 1986 was the same as '85. In 1987, things were cut back to three models, a Regency Sedan, Regency Brougham Sedan, and a Regency Brougham Coupe.

In 1988 a new version was introduced, the Regency Touring Sedan, along with a Regency Sedan and a Regency Brougham Sedan. All 98s were sedans in 1988, no Coupes. Those three models would stay the same for 1989 and 1990. For '91, there was the Regency Elite Sedan and a 98 Touring Sedan (no Regency in the name). For '92, '93, and '94 there was both a Regency Elite Sedan and a "plain" Regency Sedan along with the Touring Sedan. For the last two years of 98 production, 1995 and 1996, there was only a single model, a Regency Elite Sedan.

Yes, I know, that ran long, but, hey, once I got started, I couldn't stop!

By the way, 1984 was the last year that 98's came with a V-8 engine. After that, it was only V-6's for the rest of the model's run. This, of course, violated the car's name as "98" originally, going back to 1941, stood for a 90-series Oldsmobile with an 8-cylinder engine.

Beginning in 1985, the standard engine in a 98 was a 181 cubic-inch V6 putting out 110 hp. Optional engines were a 231 cubic-inch V6 at 125 hp or a 263 cu-in diesel putting out 85 hp. V-8s could still be had in an Oldsmobile after 1984, but only in a Cutlass, a Delta 88, or a Custom Cruiser. The last year that you could get a V-8 in any Oldsmobile was 1992, when one was available only in the Custom Cruiser, and 1992 was also the last year for the Custom Cruiser.
Just brought back some memories for me so I had to reply...

I've always loved the Ninety Eights

Back way way back when I was just a punk kid a friend had a 71 Ninety Eight 4 door that left an impression on me cause it could keep up with my first Olds, a 73 Cutlass Supreme with the 350 4 barrel...

We both went to work at the "Oil Express", it was around 87-88...

I can remember as clear as day changing oil on brand new BOP's and Caddys in the big platform with a V6 in em

I remember just laughing at the fan shroud that was 2 foot long and the dumb *** owner that bought the car

It also made me mad and sad because I new we were just getting started on the path to where were at now-
Old September 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Thumbs up

I'm WITH you 'Steve O!' The truly 'Golden Era' of GM is sadly long gone! (I rarely even visit their showrooms anymore...you can't even get Brochures anymore practically for God's Sake!) But, yeah the Ninety-Eights were IT for the Big Olds' NO question.
Originally Posted by Steve O
Just brought back some memories for me so I had to reply...

I've always loved the Ninety Eights

Back way way back when I was just a punk kid a friend had a 71 Ninety Eight 4 door that left an impression on me cause it could keep up with my first Olds, a 73 Cutlass Supreme with the 350 4 barrel...

We both went to work at the "Oil Express", it was around 87-88...

I can remember as clear as day changing oil on brand new BOP's and Caddys in the big platform with a V6 in em

I remember just laughing at the fan shroud that was 2 foot long and the dumb *** owner that bought the car

It also made me mad and sad because I new we were just getting started on the path to where were at now-
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM

'72 Regency

I just acquired a 1972 98 Regency. Got it for $1500 in St. Louis, IL (the guy didn't really know what he was selling). It's in decent shape, albeit the dry cracked vinyl top, some paint chipping, a tear in the seat, and a 455 that sounds like "shot guns and a heard of tractors with bullet holes shot in the exhaust" (quote from a buddy of mine). I love the big land yacht how it floats down the highway, but I am wanting to put a little bit more get-up to it (heads, intake, cam, exhaust) to make it a strong cruiser. The problem is that I'm young and stupid, so should I mess with the engine or keep it stock since its a rare car? I'll get pictures of it soon.
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Scott,

It is your car. If you plan on keeping it, do with it what you want.

If you plan on selling it any time soon; I would recommend make changes that you can un-change easily (exhaust, carb, rims, etc.) or make changes that do not alter the car (take out back seat and add hot tub, take off doors to make Fantasy Island car, etc.).

Wait, you are young...you may not know about Fantasy Island or fine Corinthian leather.

For now, enjoy the ride,

Dan
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Here is my 72' Regency. I absolutely love this car. It drives like a champ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72' 98.jpg (59.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
72' 98 Back View.jpg (61.7 KB, 32 views)
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:00 AM

Thumbs up

COOL!! I LOVE mine too!! (I call mine the BEAST!! enjOY! What part of Iowa are you in?? Bring yours to the Olds Club of American national Meet 4th of July week/weekend in Des Monies this year!! I'll be there with ONE of my Ninety-Eights at least!
Originally Posted by 455rocketfanatic
Here is my 72' Regency. I absolutely love this car. It drives like a champ.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:16 PM

Thumbs up I THINK I wound up buying one of these off Ebay!

Hey Fellas, I'm "BACK FINALLY!!" (Sorry, I'm Active Military and they moved me cross-country last spring and I've not had time to come on here and "play around!") GOOD to be back! I THINK I wound up buying one of the beauties you guys posted on here off Ebay. I'll have to post pics of it one of these days!!
Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey guys, I just found another '72 Regency on Ebay. This one looks like it's in beautiful condition. Although the color looks a little bit on the green side vs the Tiffany Gold...maybe it's just the lighting? Anyway, it's a beauty and I wanted to share it with you guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/57K-O...5bc3d430#v4-35