Air conditioner control: help needed

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2020, 11:33 AM

Air conditioner control: help needed

Last year i had my 67 98 converted to the new refrigerant and they were able to make everything work with the exception pf the dash control. The compressor engages if the “normal” or “recirc” button is held down but the compressor disengages when the button is released. I removed the compressor switch from the back of the control panel and cleaned the contacts. I looks like this switch either needs to be mechanically held closed or perhaps relies on current draw to make the contacts latch together. Is this a mechanical failure of the control module or os the switch supposed to latch on its own? Any help appreciated. Right now i have the radio and clock out of the dash so i can see the switch in action.
Old March 8th, 2020, 03:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Does the button stay pushed in when you release it, or does it pop all the way out? If it stays in, the issue is likely just an adjustment of the switch. The buttons "over travel" when you press them, but even released (in the "in" position) the switch should still make contact. If the button is moving all the way back out when you release it, the problem is the control head. The buttons work with a mechanism similar to the one on the push button radio.
Old March 8th, 2020, 04:01 PM

Found the problem

I took the control head loose so i could see it better and i discovered that the vacuum control was stuck such that the switches could not travel far enough to latch. Everything works now. Thanks for the support here. It really helps.