Cam magnet

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM

Cam magnet

Hey everyone. I got a 1990 Olds 98 Regency Touring 3.8
I put a new timming chain and gears in and as I was removing bolts from cam gear I guess I got my ratchet to close and magnet came out of holder and not being sure how it goes back in I just stuck it back in holder and finished the job.
When started it ran but my service engine light is on and after I scanned it I got a cam position sensor failure.
My question is could I have gotten my magnet in backwards? I know they have a different polarity on each end.
The magnet is still sitting in the holder.
It is a new cam position sensor.
Thanks for any help.

Nash
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Cacel previous post. I figured it out. Went to dealer and bought new cam magnet. Glad I did because from looking at it the old one should not have came out that easily. The new one is incased in plastic and can't come out of holder.
Now just to be on the safe side I am going to pull oil pan to be sure no pieces of old casing are in it.
Thanks anyway.

Nash
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Hey Nash tell me how you knew it was still there?
Also how did you put in the new one?

Someone posted that you can remove the outer cam sensor rotate the crank until you see the internal magnet. I can't figure how you could get an eyeball down there to look in the hole.

I have the big manual for the same model and cannot find instruction for removing or replacing or even how to determine if the magnet is still where it belongs.

Is it possible to put the plastic encased magnet in backwards?

Wonder if a loose magnet would make it to the oil pan? seems it would stick to something, course if it got into the chain or sprocket I guess it would shatter and then all the pieces would stick to things ???

Your reply will be helpful and appreciated.
Stay on board the forum, not many of us 90/98ers here I'm afraid.
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM

Hey Jaco.
The way to see the magnet is to remove cam sensor then take a small mirror on an extension angle it and take a flashlight and point it on mirror and turn the crank over with a ratchet. When you finally get it lined up you can see the magnet.
Only way to remove magnet and casing is to remove the cam gear since there is a lip on the magnet casing and it has to slide in from the rear of cam gear so it can't be put in backwards.
On mine the casing was busted on the end and that let the magnet slip out toward the front.
I was also hoping I could fix without taking off the gear but no such luck.
It is a very strong magnet and it will stick hard to any metal so I doubt it could make it to oilpan but like you mentioned it may get caught in the chain.
To be on the safe side I removed the pan and cleaned but all I found was a little sludge.
Hope this helps. I will be around now that I have the link again.
Thanks

Nash