Coolant reservoir 72

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2020, 04:35 PM

Coolant reservoir 72

Coming home today in backed up traffic, Isla (1972 Ninety Eight Luxury Coupe) overheated and the top blew off the coolant reservoir. Is it possible to get a new top or do I need to replace the entire thing. Will address the possible causes of overheating as well.

Isla.

Bottle after blow

Top found on the shroud
Old August 12th, 2020, 08:43 PM
Oldsdruid

That's an aftermarket setup. They're cheap enough. Replace the whole thing but get a good pressure cap.

Any idea what caused the overheating?
Old August 13th, 2020, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
That's an aftermarket setup. They're cheap enough. Replace the whole thing but get a good pressure cap.

Any idea what caused the overheating?
there was a wreck that closed the expressway all day and I got stuck in it with the car having to idle pull forward a few feet and stop for about 45 min. Will send her to the mechanic to investigate. The have done a lot of work on the engine, suspension and transmission. She runs great but will have to get this gremlin resolves.

I am finding lots or replacements for 72 445 Cutlas models but no 98’s. Any tips?
Old August 13th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Oldsdruid

You can find another aftermarket recovery system at any auto parts store, and they're universal fit. With that 455 get a large capacity one. May be advertised as for a truck or RV.

Now if you want the factory setup... The ones you find for 442 will fit and work. Coolant recovery systems didn't appear till early 70s and even then were not standard equipment, but part of an extra cost heavy duty cooling option.

Nov 73 Olds parts book indicates:

Group 1.240 p/n 981766, coolant reservoir pkg, 71-73 except Toronado. Means it will work on Cutlass and big cars. Included tank, radiator cap, mounting bracket and installation parts for $10.20 plus installation.

The OPGI repro kit is what, $120? and some of the reviews are less than flattering. Doubt you'd find a new old stock GM kit for less than $500. These things fit Cutlasses you know.

If you get the OPGI kit or other aftermarket, do yourself a favor and get an AC Delco radiator cap or at least a Robertshaw or Stant.
Old August 13th, 2020, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You can find another aftermarket recovery system at any auto parts store, and they're universal fit. With that 455 get a large capacity one. May be advertised as for a truck or RV.

Now if you want the factory setup... The ones you find for 442 will fit and work. Coolant recovery systems didn't appear till early 70s and even then were not standard equipment, but part of an extra cost heavy duty cooling option.

Nov 73 Olds parts book indicates:

Group 1.240 p/n 981766, coolant reservoir pkg, 71-73 except Toronado. Means it will work on Cutlass and big cars. Included tank, radiator cap, mounting bracket and installation parts for $10.20 plus installation.

The OPGI repro kit is what, $120? and some of the reviews are less than flattering. Doubt you'd find a new old stock GM kit for less than $500. These things fit Cutlasses you know.

If you get the OPGI kit or other aftermarket, do yourself a favor and get an AC Delco radiator cap or at least a Robertshaw or Stant.
I was hoping to get something that had the mounting holes in the right places but I guess that may not be in the cards. Will replace the radiator cap as well. Then get to work on "why" it overheated.

Old August 13th, 2020, 11:30 AM

Might be able to adapt , at least Olds GM Parts, see coolent overflow tank

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-parts-144890/
Old August 13th, 2020, 11:41 AM
Oldsdruid

There should be dimples or holes in the radiator support to mount the OPGI kit bracket if you go that route. I think the 72 Olds Chassis Service Manual covers the coolant recovery system mounting. The aftermarket you have is mounted neater than most I've seen.

1st thing I'd check is the fan clutch. But if you were stuck in that mess in 100 degree temps with a/c running, that was taxing your cooling system pretty hard.
Old August 13th, 2020, 11:46 AM
Oldsdruid

If bigdooly has the overflow jug and the mounting hardware you should be able to adapt it to the 72 car.
Old August 14th, 2020, 11:16 AM

Thanks folks. I found the reservoir but need the correct brackets. Checking around.

Old August 14th, 2020, 03:39 PM

Thank you!
Old August 17th, 2020, 08:08 AM

Found Brackets

Originally Posted by TexasDahlgren
Thanks folks. I found the reservoir but need the correct brackets. Checking around.

I found original brackets in California so I can put her back correctly. Will have the radiator cleaned and rodded. Will replace thermostat and the fan clutch while everything is apart And have the block cleaned as well.
Old August 17th, 2020, 10:58 AM
Oldsdruid

Sounds like a plan and glad you found parts to do a factory setup. It will add to an already very nice car.