Got me a 62 Ninety Eight

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2024, 03:40 PM
Mikeyt

Got me a 62 Ninety Eight

Where is everyone sourcing parts?
Feel free to post what you bought and where if you don't mind.
I'm needing suspension bushings, steering parts, radiator, fuel pump, the list goes on.

I figured I'd make a post and hopes it gets some responses and keep it all in one place.

Thanks,
Mike

Old April 23rd, 2024, 08:09 PM

American Front End parts are available through me, and a Fuel Pump Repair Kit ---
Always best to simply call me --- 516 - 485 - 193five......Craig......
Old April 24th, 2024, 02:41 AM
Mikeyt

Originally Posted by mpolds
American Front End parts are available through me, and a Fuel Pump Repair Kit ---
Always best to simply call me --- 516 - 485 - 193five......Craig......
Thanks Craig I will be in touch.
Old April 24th, 2024, 06:20 AM

Awesome Oldsmobile, gotta love a 4 door hardtop!

Here are 2 specialty salvage yards.

http://www.ctcautoranch.com/

https://www.dvap.com/
Old April 24th, 2024, 06:56 AM
Mikeyt

Originally Posted by Olds64
Awesome Oldsmobile, gotta love a 4 door hardtop!

Here are 2 specialty salvage yards.

http://www.ctcautoranch.com/

https://www.dvap.com/
Thank you!
I'll be honest and say I'd never thought to own a 98. The thought never crossed my mind.
Then scrolling the interwebs one day she pops up in my search and I was in love.

I'd never seen a 62 98 before. Had no idea how cool they were.
She's in good hands now.

Tomorrow she goes on the rack to get a proper inspection and grocery list of parts.

And I'm ripping the leaking axle dumped glass pack off and putting a proper Thrush on her.

Thanks for the links also!
Old April 24th, 2024, 07:15 AM

Be aware that your car has a Slim Jim Rotohydramatic transmission if it hasn't been swapped. If it drips ATF I suggest you get it PROMPTLY fixed. There's plenty of info on our website about the Slim Jim. The throttle valve adjustment from the back of the driver's side valve cover to the carburetor is CRITICAL!
Old April 24th, 2024, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mikeyt
Where is everyone sourcing parts?
Feel free to post what you bought and where if you don't mind.
I'm needing suspension bushings, steering parts, radiator, fuel pump, the list goes on.
Very nice car. You'll find that there is no single source for parts for a car like this, and you'll also find that some parts, such as perhaps the radiator, are not made new at all because there is not sufficient demand. Many times you'll be looking to get what you have rebuilt. Don't throw anything away.

Craig above is a good source for suspension/front end parts and whatever else he has. I see a fuel pump can be had new from Rockauto. You should check Rockauto.com for most any part you need. If they don't have it, it's probably not made. They have a power steering pump as well.

I find that Rockauto is often a good place to look because they often list multiple brands, and you can jot down brands and part numbers. Then you can do what I do, which I'm sure will result in me rotting and burning in hell, is search for those part numbers on Amazon. I have Amazon Prime, so most everything is free shipping, and that can add up. For example, I needed a new gas tank for my '73 Delta 88. Rockauto had it. So did Amazon. Both about the same price. Same tank. Except Rockauto wanted about $30 shipping while Amazon shipped it for free. Of course, you have the upfront cost of joining Amazon Prime, but that has paid off for me many times over, and I get the other benefits of Prime, such as the streaming TV service, which we use frequently.

Also, never forget your local auto parts store. They're fine for the everyday stuff (oil, oil filter, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, air filter, etc.), and they can often get items that you see at Rockauto and other online sources, but they'll have to order it. That's not an issue, and, if you have it shipped to the store and then go pick it up instead of having it shipped to you directly, you usually don't have to pay shipping. This could be an alternative to joining Amazon Prime.

While it looks like your car doesn't need any, body and trim parts are not made at all in the aftermarket for these cars. You need a piece of molding or bumper or something, it has to be getting yours fixed or finding good used from a parts car, and that's getting more difficult every day as these cars get used up.

Old April 24th, 2024, 07:53 AM
Mikeyt

Originally Posted by Olds64
Be aware that your car has a Slim Jim Rotohydramatic transmission if it hasn't been swapped. If it drips ATF I suggest you get it PROMPTLY fixed. There's plenty of info on our website about the Slim Jim. The throttle valve adjustment from the back of the driver's side valve cover to the carburetor is CRITICAL!
It still has the Slim Jim.
I ordered the service manual and will be checking the throttle valve adjustment asap.
It does look a bit wet under the trans. It is full and doesn't smell burnt.
I'll have it on the lift tomorrow so I'll be able to see more.
I've never driven one of these cars so not sure how these transmission act but it seems a bit off to me.
Shifts way too early into 2nd and 3rd takes a bit too long to slide in gear.

That's all part of the fun. Learning how she ticks.

Thanks for the reply
Old May 7th, 2024, 07:45 AM

Nice car! I'm new here too. Just entered the big old american car club after playing with little euro engines since I could drive. Got myself a '61 sport sedan. Glad to see a little movement in these forums and new content. I've learned a lot lurking around the last couple weeks. Hope to see more of this car in the future.

-Jordan.