Header Panel interchange

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
Hangin' out...

Header Panel interchange

Hi all,

I've got an opportunity to pull some body parts from a 1981 Olds 98 in a wrecking yard. I've got my eye on the header panel for my 1983 98. It's clean and crack-free. The grill is different.

I'm guessing a Delta 88 would also fit, but if it's got a split grill, I wouldn't be able to use it.

Does anyone know what the interchange is for the big 80s cars (B/C/Wagons)?

Would the `81 Header panel fit the `83? It sure looks like it would.

Thanks!
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

The header panels will interchange. BUT there are 2 different styles as you mentioned earlier. Base model Delta 88s and wagons got the split grille style, and the 98's and optioned out broughams got the 1 piece grille style.

You cannot put a 1 piece grille on the 2 piece style and vice-versa, but the height and width dimensions will be the same. The whole front clips are interchangeable dimension wise. The pitfalls involved are the fact that 98's have cutouts in the fenders for lights and fiber optics.

So you can use a 98 fender on a base model delta, if you weld up the holes. or vice versa if you make the cutouts in a base model fender to make it correct for a 98.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Another thing to note, avoid the the wagon fenders, as they have a big flare above the wheel house, and If I remember correctly, (I THINK...) the door profile on the wagon fender is also slightly different since the olds wagons may have used Chevy doors.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'm looking for 80-85 2door hardtop chrome trim. If you spot some at the yard while you're there, let me know ASAP. Good luck.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Oldsdruid

Pretty sure all the B wagons are identical from cowl back, with differences in taillights and trim to make them marque-specific. The CC wagon front fenders have the wheel arch flare to match the generic wagon body shell.

I know this is true for 77 and maybe for other Buick Estate Wagons- to mate the Buick front fenders to the corporate body, there is a filler piece that runs about a foot back from the front upper edge of the door and matches the door line to the front fender line. Looks a little weird, but I would guess Buick couldn't see their limited wagon production justifying tooling up wagon-specific front fenders. I haven't seen that filler on other B wagons, only Buicks.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hangin' out...

J,

As always, you are the man! I'd love to help you find those pieces, but don't know what I'm looking for! Can you send me a link to a picture? I'm gonna go back on Thursday morning, so I'll see what they have.

Thank you so much!
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:14 PM

88/98 header panel

the 88 header panel not only has a split grill but the front edge is rounded where the 98 edge is sharp.i think the 1985 88 header panel and grill is the same as a 98 and the grill looks like a 1980 98.the header panels will interchange but i never liked the look of a 98 with a 88 panel.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
the 88 header panel not only has a split grill but the front edge is rounded where the 98 edge is sharp.i think the 1985 88 header panel and grill is the same as a 98 and the grill looks like a 1980 98.the header panels will interchange but i never liked the look of a 98 with a 88 panel.
1985 88 split grille header panels are the same as the 80-84, it just depends on the trim level as to what you received. You are correct about the angular difference between the 2 styles, AND about the 1 piece 85's looking like the 1 piece 1980.

The main difference is the emblem. 1980 got the oldsmobile crest, and the 85 got a gray rocket emblem instead. Here's a pic of the 80/98.

AND the 85:
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by henryk8398
J,

As always, you are the man! I'd love to help you find those pieces, but don't know what I'm looking for! Can you send me a link to a picture? I'm gonna go back on Thursday morning, so I'll see what they have.

Thank you so much!
I posted an ad in the parts wanted section with all the pics you'll need. Thanks!!
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:42 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Pretty sure all the B wagons are identical from cowl back, with differences in taillights and trim to make them marque-specific. The CC wagon front fenders have the wheel arch flare to match the generic wagon body shell.

I know this is true for 77 and maybe for other Buick Estate Wagons- to mate the Buick front fenders to the corporate body, there is a filler piece that runs about a foot back from the front upper edge of the door and matches the door line to the front fender line. Looks a little weird, but I would guess Buick couldn't see their limited wagon production justifying tooling up wagon-specific front fenders. I haven't seen that filler on other B wagons, only Buicks.
Great insight on the Buick wagons. I've never had one come through the shop out here. Had a Safari here, caprices, and of course Olds' .

ALSO... since you brought up 1977. BE VERY CAREFUL with 77-79 wagons. The header panels and fenders are specific to wagons only unlike the 80-85 counterparts. You CANNOT put a 77-79 wagon header panel on a 77-79 Delta or 98.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I posted an ad in the parts wanted section with all the pics you'll need. Thanks!!
Got it. So you are looking for the trim that goes over the pillar (aka sideburn )? Do 88 submodels other than the Holiday use that?

Also, how do you suggest I pull the header panel? I'd like to avoid pulling fenders as my junkyard time is limited.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
This is correct. ALL B-body wagons from 1980-1990 use the Chevy sheetmetal from the firewall back. I believe that this is true for 1977-1990, but I don't know that for sure. The Custom Cruisers use the Delta 88/98 header panel, core support, hood, and inner fenders, but the outer fenders are unique to the Olds wagons. The issue isn't the wheel arch, it's the body feature line. The sedans have a feature line about 3" down from the fender peak. The Chevy doors do not, so the Custom Cruiser fenders don't have it either.

FYI, the metal part of the dash inside the car bolts on, so all the various divisions' dash boards can be interchanged (along with wiring and HVAC ducts). In fact, it's very easy to turn a Caprice wagon shell into a Custom Cruiser - especially one with a factory-installed Olds motor.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by henryk8398
Got it. So you are looking for the trim that goes over the pillar (aka sideburn )? Do 88 submodels other than the Holiday use that?

Also, how do you suggest I pull the header panel? I'd like to avoid pulling fenders as my junkyard time is limited.
Correct. I need the chrome sideburns, and the thin chrome strips that run along the roof over the doors and on down around the rear windows.

I also need the rear windshield chrome trim. My cardboard tube full of trim somehow disappeared when it was stripped down for paint. Base model royales were available with hardtop trim as well. It doesn't have to be a holiday. It's just a holiday style scheme. Most of these damned things came with the vinyl tops however unfortunately.

As far as pulling the header panels goes.....it's going to suck a bit. You will need a small profile 1/4" ratchet with a 10 or 11mm socket. You have to lay on your back and jam your hand up into the inside of the fenders to get the nuts off of the studs. Maybe working it 3 clicks at a time and slapping it back and forth. The middle ones are easy. Just unbolt the brackets from the core support. I believe those are 10mm and 13 mm bolts. The header panel studs bolt THROUGH holes in the front of the fenders. Don't pry until you're sure everything is off, because the fiberglass mounts will break.
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Hangin' out...

J,

I was thinking, how difficult is it to pull the entire front clip? From the CSM, it looks like a bolt underneath each side, one behind each door, two on the rad support, and a couple by the hood.

Is it harder than it looks?

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

It's not easier than just a header panel, if that's what you were hoping.

Off the top of my head, There are 2 in each wheel house that bolt to the firewall behind the front tires, 2 in each door jamb that bolt to the shell tabs, 2 that travel through the core support & frame, 1 near each hood hinge, the fuse block bolts, (that will allow the harnesses to disconnect from the firewall) all of the fuel lines, cables, and vacuum hoses that connect to anything mounted to the plastic inner wheel houses, The a/c lines have to come off of the condenser, radiator hoses and transmission lines, as well. You can't pull the plastic wheel houses off of the inner fenders until the clip is removed. The AC/heater box blocks access to the rear bolts that are sandwiched between the tub and the firewall.

I'm sure I forgot a few minor bits, but you get the gist of it.
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hangin' out...

Yup, I'll just go for the header panel. Since I don't have any help, it's going to take too long. Besides, the salvage yard car has cornering lights and mine doesn't. I'll run around the yard and check for any 2-door Deltas as well.

Thanks!
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Hangin' out...

J,

I got the stuff I needed off the car. The header panel wasn't much fun, but didn't take too long to remove.

Unfortunately, not a single Delta in the yard today. I'll keep an eye out, though.

Thanks for all your help!