Headlamp Switch

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2020, 02:29 PM

Headlamp Switch

On my 1968 Olds 98, when I pull on the headlamp switch ****

to the first position to turn on the parking/tail lamps, the **** comes loose in my hand. Then I have to pull on the switch rod to the first or second position. The **** is not a tight fit on the rod. Any suggestions?
Old August 25th, 2020, 02:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dukeomer
to the first position to turn on the parking/tail lamps, the **** comes loose in my hand. Then I have to pull on the switch rod to the first or second position. The **** is not a tight fit on the rod. Any suggestions?
The rod is supposed to be pressed into the ****. You'll need to pull the rod completely out of the switch, use some plastic epoxy to secure it back in the ****, and try that. I suspect you'll ultimately need to replace it with a new one. I assume you know that you need to get under the dash and depress the lock button on the switch to release the rod from the switch, right? Pull the rod out to the headlights on position, then hold the button in and pull the rod out the rest of the way. You don't need to hold the button when putting it back in, however.

Old August 25th, 2020, 04:03 PM

Joe thanks for your help. Is there any web site that I can browse to get the lamp **** and the rod. Are any new ones still available or would I be looking at used ones.
Old August 25th, 2020, 04:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dukeomer
Joe thanks for your help. Is there any web site that I can browse to get the lamp **** and the rod. Are any new ones still available or would I be looking at used ones.
I'm afraid good used is likely your only option. Any 1968 Delta 88 or Ninety Eight is the same. Good luck.