Heater Core Replacement 1976 98

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2021, 04:41 PM

Heater Core Replacement 1976 98

Working on replacing my heater core. I have removed the entire lower dash. I located three mounting screws for the heater box, info I have found says there should be one more hidden behind a plastic cap.
I can see what I think must be the fourth screw, but can't figure out how to remove the cap. It is near impossible to get to.
Where do I go from here? Does the upper dash pad need to be removed, and if so how does it come out?
I have a Fisher Body service manual on the way. Will it give the step by step I need to complete the job?
Did a search for threads on here and found little that was specific enough to be much help.
All advice appreciated.
Old April 28th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Oldsdruid

Do you have a 1976 Olds factory Chassis Service Manual? The heater core R&R info is in it.
Old April 28th, 2021, 06:07 PM

Yes I do have the chassis manual. All it told me was the location of the bolts, not how to access them.
I did find directions to remove the upper dash pad, will try that tomorrow and see if it gives me access to that hidden fastener.
Old April 29th, 2021, 09:41 PM

Ok folks, the end of the story for future reference.
After tearing apart my entire dash in search of the mystery plastic covered bolt, I found out it doesn't exist.
Instead there are 3 more speed nut fasteners on the outside of the fire wall. Two are to the driver side of the heater core tubes, and one is on the A/C housing.
All went fine after that discovery. Heater core should come out with just the removal of the lower dash trim and glove box. I cannot verify this because I had already removed the entire dash.