I just bought a 64 98

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2014, 05:29 PM

I just bought a 64 98

I just picked up a 64 98 4dr with the Olds 394 in it. Its a bit of a jump from the 87 Cutlass I had that got totaled.

I have lots of questions. Some of them I know have been done before. Probably a lot.

The car has the Olds wire wheel cover from the 80s on it. They look bad on this car, and need to go. But I'm also interested in upgrading the front brakes to discs. So I need to figure out all of that at once, so i can only buy wheels once and still be able to upgrade the brakes. I'm thinking of keeping the steel wheels with the same-era type wheel covers. As for the brakes, I would like to keep it simple and upgrade using stock-type parts, if available.

I'll do some searching, but if anyone has a direct line to stuff about the brake upgrade and what wheels would work, feel free to direct me there.

Thanks
Adam
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:53 AM

well done mate , i have a 64 olds 98 as well however im in sydney australia , all i know stuff for this model is bloody hard to come by , anyway drop me a pm if i can help you
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:36 AM

"Scarebird" has disc brake set-ups for a lot of these cars/years. He makes brackets so you can use your existing spindles and newer/available rotors, pads, etc. They sell on ebay a lot. All the 60's cars are getting scarce in Ohio/Pa. Good luck, Ken
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:15 AM

Welcome to the forum and the BIG Oldsmobiles. Here's my opinion:

Don't be so quick to jump to front discs. The power drum brakes on these cars do a great job of stopping if they are properly rebuilt. All the parts are readily available except original drums, if yours are reuseable you are good to go. Between NAPA and Fusick I found everything I needed. Replace all hydraulic parts and soft hoses, if the hard lines are rusty you can redo them in stainless. Stock brakes mean you can keep the stock wheels although there is plenty of room in the wells for wider wheels. I used a set of 15" cop wheels from a 95 9C1 Caprice with radial T/A's and 1960 Buick wheel covers but there are lots of choices.

Post some pics of your car and let us know your progress, good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF2152.jpg (71.8 KB, 44 views)
DSCF2158.jpg (63.4 KB, 52 views)
DSCF2156.jpg (73.2 KB, 49 views)
DSCF2162.jpg (72.7 KB, 43 views)
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:09 PM

Don, your Starfire looks great with those wheels!
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:08 PM

Don, great looking Starfire! Yes, the drum brakes stop good if one keeps everything in good shape. My turquoise 98 stops good, I put the larger wheel cylinders, "police apprehender" when I did the brakes. I have to redo the brake system on my Grey one. I'll probably stay with the drums. Good luck all, Ken
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:26 AM

I rebuilt the front drum brakes on my 63 with parts from NAPA around 4 years ago. No issues at all. Stops great.
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:57 PM

well, my 64 failed Delaware inspection because of the left front brake locking up. This state only checks the brakes on a skid pad, no inspection performed. The left front was almost 3x what the right was. Which would co-inside with the fact that the car pulls left when braking. So I guess I have some work to do. But that's all that it failed for.

I was doing some searching and found some 9C1 wheels on Ebay from an early 90s Caprice (like Don showed me earlier in this post!) and some wheel covers from a 56 Oldsmobile that I think would look awesome on my 64.

What size tire would be appropriate for this vehicle if I go with 15"? I am not looking to make it look like a hot rod, rather I was thinking of some white walls to get it "that" look I'm looking for.

On a different note, the state of Delaware wants over $600 to title this vehicle, because they use NADA classic/antique "average condition" car guide, which states that this vehicle is worth over $13K! Considering I only paid $5500 for it, I guess I did pretty good. They didn't want to hear that I only paid that much. I am looking to get it appraised sometime in the near future. So I guess that is a good and a bad thing.

I'll work on getting some pics posted.
Adam in Delaware
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1Fastolds
well, my 64 failed Delaware inspection because of the left front brake locking up. This state only checks the brakes on a skid pad, no inspection performed. The left front was almost 3x what the right was. Which would co-inside with the fact that the car pulls left when braking. So I guess I have some work to do. But that's all that it failed for.

I was doing some searching and found some 9C1 wheels on Ebay from an early 90s Caprice (like Don showed me earlier in this post!) and some wheel covers from a 56 Oldsmobile that I think would look awesome on my 64.

What size tire would be appropriate for this vehicle if I go with 15"? I am not looking to make it look like a hot rod, rather I was thinking of some white walls to get it "that" look I'm looking for.

On a different note, the state of Delaware wants over $600 to title this vehicle, because they use NADA classic/antique "average condition" car guide, which states that this vehicle is worth over $13K! Considering I only paid $5500 for it, I guess I did pretty good. They didn't want to hear that I only paid that much. I am looking to get it appraised sometime in the near future. So I guess that is a good and a bad thing.

I'll work on getting some pics posted.
Adam in Delaware
Adam, if left is locking up, right side wheel cylinder is probably all gunked up
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:14 PM

According to the DMV skid pad, the left front was 3x what the right was, and the right seems in specs. Hopefully in the next couple of days, I'll be able to take it apart and see what's up. I haven't done anything to it since driving it home 4 hours last weekend.
Thanks!
adam
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:04 AM

Adam in Delaware

I have 235-70-15s on my car. Whitewalls of any kind are not easy to find these days without going to a specialty company. You could use 235-75-15 or 225-75-15, I wouldn't go any smaller.
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Oldsdruid

If you have a bill of sale stating you paid $5500 for it, that should end the discussion. $13k for a 64 Olds in #3 condition is getting into Starfire territory, and I have been fooling with 1964 full-size Oldsmobiles long enough to have a better idea what they're worth than a DMV lemming does, no matter what kind of price guide they use.

An independent appraisal on it would probably cost close to what they want in titling tax, but it should give you a more realistic value- and I think you'll find somewhere between 5 and 8 thousand bucks is realistic for such a car.

You have to remember these DMV wonks don't function in real world, they are intent on getting every dime they can from an old car owner (hey, if it's old it has to be worth a million bucks, right? Barrett Jackson says it is!), and NADA classic/antique is notorious for overvaluing everything in favor of taxing authorities.

On brakes- it's either a frozen right front wheel cylinder or a lot of grease/oil/brake fluid on the left front shoes. Might as well go thru the whole brake hydraulic system while you're into it and replace with all new shoes. Get old stock shoes if you can find them as those will still have some asbestos content. You will feel the difference in braking using them. I've said for a while now that the reason people think drum brakes can't stop these cars is because all the lining materials now are hard as bricks and don't have the friction CE the old materials had.
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:29 PM

They told me that an appraisal would be the only way to lower the cost. I checked on NADA site and it is the number that they came up with. I don't think that it is that much. I'm realistic about it.

As for the brakes, I was under the impression that they have been gone through already, but this weekend i hope to tear it apart and see what's up. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

As for tires, I have found that there isn't much in White wall anymore, unless you really want to pay. I did find that Firestone makes a Precision Touring tire with white walls. I think p215/70r15 would be a slightly bigger tire than the 205/70r14s that currently reside on it. I'm hoping to get some new wheels here within the next couple of days, after the money clears for some of the G body parts I've sold.

Thanks for taking an interest. I need to figure out how to post pics.
Adam
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:40 PM

3 pics of my "new" olds
Adam
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:41 PM

Adam, thanks for posting those pics. Your 64 looks cold in the last picture.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Adam, thanks for posting those pics. Your 64 looks cold in the last picture.
That pic was taken last night. The other ones were taken on Friday. 25 degree difference. I need to rearrange my garage so this long beauty will fit. The previous owner told me its a little over 19' long, and my garage is 22' long. I have to make some room at the back. Plus my wrecked Cutlass is still in there. They'll both fit with some finesse.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:34 AM
Oldsdruid

Looks like a Luxury Sedan- does it have door pulls on the inside door panels and a vanity mirror on back of the front seat?

If you stick with 14" tires wheelcover and tire options will be limited. Moving up to 15" you should be able to find decent 215/75R15 whitewall radials easy enough, but finding a suitable 15" Olds wheelcover may be difficult since Olds used 14" wheels on the big cars from 1957 thru 1969.

I would look into a set of 71-72 Super Stock IV Polycast wheels for this car as they are 15" with the large 5x5 bolt circle, and their design is VERY similar to the 1964-65 N93 Custom Deluxe wheel option. There are several threads and references to the SSIV here on CO if you want pics. Wild About Cars probably has a picture of the N93 wheel in either 64 or 65 sales brochures to compare the two.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:18 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Nice hope to see it in person sometime.

Larry
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:32 PM

Rocketraider:
I ordered a set of wheel covers from a mid-50s Oldsmobile. They are advertised as 15", so we'll see. I plan on using a suggestion from here and using early 90's 9c1 steel wheels. I think I'm going to go with 215/70r15 Firestones, unless someone else can point me in a direction for a different size with whitewalls.

Larry, when I get it registered and safe to drive, i'll bring it down to Easton and we can go to lunch.

adam
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:02 PM

Adam, have you looked at Diamondback tires for whitewalls? They make wide whitewalls in the size you need. They are priced better than Coker too.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Adam, have you looked at Diamondback tires for whitewalls? They make wide whitewalls in the size you need. They are priced better than Coker too.
I did look at them. I think I'm going to stick with tires that are easily obtainable, and far less expensive.

P215/70R15 Firestone Precision Touring tires are available in W/W. A hair wider and taller than the P205/70R14 that are currently installed.

Tomorrow evening, I am going to brave the cold and see what's up with the front brakes. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks
Adam
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:47 PM

Jack?

What kind of jack does this land yacht use? I'm missing everything, except the spare tire. I thought I looked for a bumper jack hole, but I'm not really sure what I am looking for.

Are all the bumper jacks out there the same?

I guess its time to get some manuals (owners, service, body)

Adam
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:40 PM

Adam, the 64 98 uses a bumper jack. I believe it mounts near the trunk locking mechanism (at least that is where mine was on my 64 98). I don't know if you can get replacement bumper jacks from Fusicks. I know they make trunk stickers for properly placing the bumper jack.

IMHO, bumer jacks are dangerous and shouldn't be used. The rear bumper of my 64 98 was bent because it fell off the bumper jack before I purchased it. The body of the bumper jack matched the dent in the rear bumper perfectly. I can understand the desire to get accessories for your vehicle though. Good luck searching for one.
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:01 AM

Thumbs up 64 olds

mate your car is a beauty!!!....... im interested in your wheel story , i have the same problem ,would like to put sum nice wire 15in caps , but like you i have 14in , so my option is to mod my rims use the centres and use a"step up 15in "outer rim ...other than that wot other "us cars" run 15 in rims that will fit the olds that i could find in down town sydney australia????????
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by aussie oldsmobile 98
mate your car is a beauty!!!....... im interested in your wheel story , i have the same problem ,would like to put sum nice wire 15in caps , but like you i have 14in , so my option is to mod my rims use the centres and use a"step up 15in "outer rim ...other than that wot other "us cars" run 15 in rims that will fit the olds that i could find in down town sydney australia????????
I used Don R's suggestion (thanks) and ordered some early 90's Caprice 9C1 rims from Ebay. I hope the mid 50's wheel covers I also won from Ebay fit those rims. I won't order tires until I make sure that I'll have a set of rims and wheel covers that fit my car.

Aussie, where in Australia do you live? My wife has a friend "down under". (sorry for the bad Australia pun)

So, do you guys think that the screw jack in my 87 Cutlass will jack up the big 'ole car of mine? I ordered 5 of those Caprice rims so that I'll have a matching set of wheels, so I won't have to rely on a 50 yr old spare (which I do have)

Thanks- adam
Old January 24th, 2014, 03:00 AM

Thumbs up more caps

I used Don R's suggestion (thanks) and ordered some early 90's Caprice 9C1 rims from Ebay. I hope the mid 50's wheel covers I also won from Ebay fit those rims. I won't order tires until I make sure that I'll have a set of rims and wheel covers that fit my car.

Aussie, where in Australia do you live? My wife has a friend "down under". (sorry for the bad Australia pun)

So, do you guys think that the screw jack in my 87 Cutlass will jack up the big 'ole car of mine? I ordered 5 of those Caprice rims so that I'll have a matching set of wheels, so I won't have to rely on a 50 yr old spare (which I do have)

Thanks- adam

mate , tell me those 50's wheel caps , are they wire?? and did you buy em in the last week on ebay??? i was biddin on a set and got outbidded and with our time difference i lost ...i will laugh if they are the same ones,
well Adam im in the outskirts of sydney , around 1hr drive on acreage (like say your ranch thing).... australia is a BIG peice of dirt..... and i havent found nobody else around here who has /seen or knows wot a 64 olds 98 is........as for findin parts here for it ...............forget it
Old January 24th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Adam, that is a real pretty GIANT piece of Lansing steel! Get a bumper jack for car show display if you want but never use it in real life. I wouldn't trust the Cutlass jack either with something that heavy. Buy a 2-ton hydraulic bottle jack with an adjustable top plus a heavy duty jack stand. Never put your body under the car unless the jack stand is solidly in place. Don't ask how I learned all this...
Old January 24th, 2014, 06:54 PM

Aussie-
No, the ones I won were not wire. I'm excited to get some new wheels on her soon!

Don-
I know about not crawling under a not-so-stable car. Is that a passage of life that every car guy has to go through? I wanted to find something to keep in the car in case of an emergency. In fact, I actually ordered 5 15" wheels, since the spare tire looks like it might possibly be original.

I got the big gal tucked away in the garage tonight. She didn't really want to start in the 18 degree weather tonight. But the 19' LY (Land yacht) fit in the 22' garage. I just had to move my toolbox, workbench and just about everything else. I currently have 2 oldsmobiles in my garage, although sadly, the 87 will probably never leave under its own power again. I'm hoping tomorrow that I can finally start addressing the brake concerns.
Adam
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:53 AM

Adam, my suggestion of the bottle jack and single jackstand IS for you to keep in the car for emergencies! I also have a 5th Caprice wheel spare in my trunk, unfortunately with the 235-70-15 tire it won't fit up on the shelf between the wheeltubs.

Good luck with your brakes...
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:32 AM

Well, I've got the front brake thing figured out- I think. The front shoes are worn, and the LF rear upper control arm bushing is gone. Wheel cylinders, hoses, etc all look new.

I'm not sure if there is another cut in those drums though. Can anyone tell me what the maximum diameter of the drums are after a refinish?

I ordered new control arm bushings (upper and lower) and sway bar bushings from Rockauto.com. Trying to find the best source for shoes and maybe drums. Kanter has the drums listed, but they apparently do not sell the shoes separately. Anyone have a good source for good brake shoes?

(I did start another thread on this, but I wasn't sure if everyone that was helping me on this thread was going to see it)

Thanks
adam
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:21 PM

These are the wheel covers I bought for my 98.

56ish I think. I have the 9C1 caprice wheels I got from ebay at Don's recommendation. Still need tires, brakes, and bushings though,

Adam
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:19 AM

Those are 1956 Olds !5" hub caps.
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:39 AM

Those will look cool on the car!
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Oldsdruid

The standard 1964 full wheel covers had that concentric ring design so these will look fine and should easily fit the Caprice cop wheels. When you said mid-50s I was afraid you'd got some that had to have clips to hold them to the wheel.
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:25 AM

If I am not too late on the wheel and tire discussion than check out this thread I started on The Stationwagonforum Forum. I have a '73 Custom Cruiser and I was struggling with wheels and tires too. The fine folks over there got me to the right vendor where I got a set of 235/75/15's at a killer price.

Chris
Wilmington, DE

http://www.stationwagonforums.com/fo...ad.php?t=28953
Old January 29th, 2014, 11:49 AM

1959 - 1964 olds full size

Happened to be in the library, and came upon this....
I have one last pair (2) of NEW N.O.S. ++ OEM KELSEY HAYES ++
Front "BIG BELLS" Brake Drums and some N.O.S. ++ ASBESTOS ++ Brake shoes, so you don't rip these up......also have the wheel cylinders, brake hoses, wheel bearings & seals -- ALL U.S.A. Made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam, call me tonight, or I'll call you......

Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... New York....
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by hullinger
If I am not too late on the wheel and tire discussion than check out this thread I started on The Stationwagonforum Forum. I have a '73 Custom Cruiser and I was struggling with wheels and tires too. The fine folks over there got me to the right vendor where I got a set of 235/75/15's at a killer price.

Chris
Wilmington, DE

http://www.stationwagonforums.com/fo...ad.php?t=28953
Chris, thanks for the input. I too, am concerned about the tire that has a name to go with the car. I looked at those, and others. That's why I'm getting the Firestones. Plus I know what kind of tire they are, as they are on my Subaru that I drive everyday. Right now, there is 205/70r14 on the car, so I think that the 215/70r15 W/W tires will be sufficient for it.
The wheel covers don't cover the whole wheel, there is approx 1" of black around the edges. I'm thinking of adding a pin stripe there to go with the look of the wheel cover.
Thanks for the love on them, btw, I'm stoked on how they will look. Better than the 80's wire wheel covers that currently reside on it.

adam
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:00 AM

Adam, I replaced my tires with Hercules Tires, 7/8 white wall, superior smooth ride, road hazard included. See pics of my 84 Ninety Eight. Can provide more info when I get home.
Rocketraider:
I ordered a set of wheel covers from a mid-50s Oldsmobile. They are advertised as 15", so we'll see. I plan on using a suggestion from here and using early 90's 9c1 steel wheels. I think I'm going to go with 215/70r15 Firestones, unless someone else can point me in a direction for a different size with whitewalls.

Larry, when I get it registered and safe to drive, i'll bring it down to Easton and we can go to lunch.

adam
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:02 PM
Oldsdruid

Hankook and Kumho have given me good service on the two vehicles I've run them on. Lot of people damn Firestones but I have gotten very good service from those too. Then again I keep them rotated and pressures checked.

On any of these larger size 14" and 15" passenger car tires it's probably a good idea to check date of manufacture when you buy. These sizes don't move off the rack like they used to and it's entirely possible to get a tire that, even though it's brand new, is already a few years old when you buy and install it. Keep in mind that most tire makers warrant their tires for about 5 years after date of manufacture.

Look for DOT code on the tire sidewall and you should see numbers after it. Most manufacturers follow a week/year format in which the first two numbers are the week of manufacture and the last two are the year of manufacture.

Find a chart showing the overall height of the original 8.50x14 bias ply tire for your Ninety Eight. Then match height of the new 15" tires as close to that as possible so your speedometer won't go way off. I think Coker and Lucas both have those charts on their websites.
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Find a chart showing the overall height of the original 8.50x14 bias ply tire for your Ninety Eight. Then match height of the new 15" tires as close to that as possible so your speedometer won't go way off. I think Coker and Lucas both have those charts on their websites.
Thanks for that tip Rocket!

Quick Reply: I just bought a 64 98