I know you hate my Ninety-Eight...

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2009, 08:24 AM

I know you hate my Ninety-Eight...

Ya, sorry, I know the Public Enemy thing is cliched... I just couldn't help it. Glad to be here. FYI - I'm in Canada. I have a '74 98 in pristine shape - 2 doors, the toothless 455, but all the same, one of the sweetest rides I ever had. My dad actually owned one just like mine when I was a kid. I remember it 'cause it has a plush white leather (vinyl?) interior, and I slammed my fingers in the door. Didn't lose any, thank goodness. Anyhow - Greetings one and all!
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

We love all Oldsmobiles You're a candiadte for the Land Yacht Club

Post some pics pronto
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/peterv/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/98.jpg[/IMG]

Attempting to upload my pic. Hmm - I hope this works...
FYI - In case you hadn't noticed, it' rides a tad low in the ***. The coils are new back there, so I'm installing a set of airshocks to hike it just a bit. I hope it works. If it doesn't, well, I'll have the new shocks, and then I'll be looking for a set of springs. I'll let you know how it works out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
98.jpg (85.1 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by baronsass; October 27th, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Registered

You hates Nine-Eights

Originally Posted by baronsass
Ya, sorry, I know the Public Enemy thing is cliched... I just couldn't help it. Glad to be here. FYI - I'm in Canada. I have a '74 98 in pristine shape - 2 doors, the toothless 455, but all the same, one of the sweetest rides I ever had. My dad actually owned one just like mine when I was a kid. I remember it 'cause it has a plush white leather (vinyl?) interior, and I slammed my fingers in the door. Didn't lose any, thank goodness. Anyhow - Greetings one and all!
Welcome.

Cliched?
Never heard that term before around these here parts, what does Public Enemy know anyway calling it a Ninety-Eight?
They've been called a "Nine-Eight" in the hood for as long as I can remember.
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Cliched, and other obscurities

Ya, Dre and D from back in tha' (!) day... The moment I got this rig, my buddies started spouting those lyrics - suckas to the side - and all that. I was never much into Public Enemy - i guess it was that gold grille and the ridiculous clock that I couldn't relate to. In any event, thanks for the welcome guys, oh and what's all this about the "Land Yachts"? If my 98 qualifies, hook me up!
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome!! She looks beautiful to me!!! My sister had one of those boats!! I loved driving that car!!
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Thanks!

Ya, she really is a beaut'. It's funny, I also have a '58 T'Bird, and I get more looks in my 98 than I do in that. I guess it's the sheer mass of the thing - bloody impressive. As you can see, the original cream-tone top has been repainted a metallic gray. A little more sinister, and just all-round cooler.
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:24 AM

Welcome to classic olds from another Canadian.
Where do you hale from in this vast country?
I am also a ninety-eight man only from the 63s for the same reason as you,my dad had a blue one when I was growing up.
Nice ride and I think you qualify for the land yacht club even if you are a two door.
Steve
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:24 AM

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/peterv/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/98.jpg[/IMG]

Attempting to upload my pic. Hmm - I hope this works...
FYI - In case you hadn't noticed, it' rides a tad low in the ***. The coils are new back there, so I'm installing a set of airshocks to hike it just a bit. I hope it works. If it doesn't, well, I'll have the new shocks, and then I'll be looking for a set of springs. I'll let you know how it works out.
The rear looks fine. I'd lower the front and call it good.
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Alberta bound

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
Welcome to classic olds from another Canadian.
Where do you hale from in this vast country?
I am also a ninety-eight man only from the 63s for the same reason as you,my dad had a blue one when I was growing up.
Nice ride and I think you qualify for the land yacht club even if you are a two door.
Steve
Hey Oldskeeper,
I'm out west in Calgary. Been here since the late 70's. Can't say I love the weather...
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Local Hero
The rear looks fine. I'd lower the front and call it good.
Really? See it's funny - I agree with you - I like the "low n slow" look. But according to the my suspension guy, it's the butt that's dragging. Any recco's on what to do about that front end? New springs? Shocks? I was gonna airshock the back end beacuse the coils are about 2 years old, but I think it's still running the original shocks! Barring that, i was simply going to do it all - shocks, springs and be done with it. Let me know what you think...
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM

x2 on lowering the front, let the rear slide as is.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:40 AM

x2

Then it may well be down to that. Sooo, new coils, or just cut what I got?
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM

If your rear coils are only two years old, shocks aren't going to do anything. Shocks don't control the height, unless they're air shocks or load-levelers. They only control the bounce. If you're shocks are original and the car wanders and floats all over, then they're probably gone.

I would cut a coil out of the front and leave it at that. I cut coils on ALL my cars. Even the daily drivers.

Once you get it where you like it, get a front end alignment.

Last edited by Local Hero; October 27th, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:50 AM

I would go new coils personally being you will have them out anyway. New coils are cheap enough and granted you most likely end up cutting them as well.
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Local Hero/Nilsson

Thanks guys,
Since it's going to be apart anyhow, I think I will just do the whole thing. I found a full set of coils just now, locally - $200 for all 4. They're off an 88, but as I recall from my manual, they're identical to what's needed for the 98. Shocks - well, I believe the rears at least are still the originals. Being somewhat obsessive, I figure just eat it and go new all round - again, it's all gonna be up and apart, so why not. The engine was rebuilt just 10K miles ago - now I'll have the suspension to match. Thanks for the alignment tip by the way. I'll follow up with all in the repair forums next week when it's all done. She's gonna ride smoother than glass! CAN"T WAIT!
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM

ONE LAST THING!

Shocks - Monroe 5801 front/5802 rear - Can anyone confirm that these are the right ones? I'm pretty sure they are, but you folks are the gurus. Get back to me if/when you can.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Captain of my ship

Welcome to CO from the far east. I love my 98 and was very glad I found this site , great info and advice has helped me do work getting her back on the road. Unfortunately we have too much salt around here especially in the winter so she only sees the garage for almost half the year but I really love the hot summer days.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Great looking 98. Gotta love those big cars
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Shocks - Monroe 5801 front/5802 rear - Can anyone confirm that these are the right ones? I'm pretty sure they are, but you folks are the gurus. Get back to me if/when you can.

That is correct for Monroe, shocks are a personal preference. The 442 had Monroes and I replaced with KYB GR2's allot less harsh. Never have cared for Monroes and I believe they are on every 40 year old car out there. Then again every car I have owned with them on it could have been just plain old worn out.

Check shocks at Rock Auto if you have not already.
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Wolfman, Cittcapp - thanks for the welcome! Nilsson...

Thanks for the comnfirmation on the Monroes. The local parts warehouse had a sale, so I picked up a set at significant savings. They pack a lifetime warranty as well so I'm pretty happy. I'll get back to this forum once she's re-sprung and let you know how things are running.
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM
The Tin Man

Come on 98s are low but not slow!!! mine was 2 inches off the ground and I felt every stone in the road. GOD I LOVED THAT CAR!!! I say eat asphalt. Hey man in the end its your car so make it yours. Tin man
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
zed

Great looking car. I like it low too.
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Welcome from a fellow Canadian 98 lover!!!
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Oh Canada!

Well, as if to spite our winters, the 'Nucks are driving Olds'. Killer. Thanks for the greet.
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Zed, Tinman

Thanks for the tag guys. good to be here, low, and slow (remember - it is a '74...). That Having been said - is there any way to bring some snarl back to my stock, heavily emissions (and hence HP) controlled 455? This thing's been rebuilt - to original spec though - about 200 HP. Previous iterations were well over the 300 mark as I've read it. Can the same be done with this motor, or would I have to replace it altogether? Let me know what you think folks.
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Sure all it would take is money & time. It wouldn't be hard to pull more power out by opening up the intake & exhaust. Maybe installing a mild cam. You have the displacement already now you just need to let it breathe
Old October 29th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Hmmmm...

Perhaps a project for another time. Thanks anyhow - back to the suspension!
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:26 AM

What are your state emissions laws? You might be able to remove the emissions equipment, especially if you register it as an historic vehicle.
Old October 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Captain of my ship

Canadian law

Well I know that if it's pre 1990 you do not need catalytic converter and if the motor has been rebuilt you don't need the anti pollution stuff in a "classic car" I know you can do that in N.S. but don't know about Alberta. I am sure it is the same there. B.C. and Ontario may have tougher laws but when it comes to classic cars 30 years old then the laws are usually different.
Old October 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM

I haven't heard that song in years lol
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:37 PM

I love your 98. "I'm sailing away...."
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:39 AM
Captain of my ship

Being in Canada and the car being a 74 you should be able to strip off that pollution crap and give your 455 some teeth.
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM

Talking

I dont hate you Ninety-Eight, I like Ninety-Eight!
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:39 AM

Nice 98 . My all-time favorite car. The only thing bad I can possibly say about them is the mileage is not too great (understatement). About the shocks: I've got a '64 and it rides kinda low in the back, I've seen a lot that are like that. They look sharp that way (IMO) and plus, remember these things are supposed to feel like you're riding in a hovercraft.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM

Thanks for all the greets guys. Here's a brief update...

She's in the shop right now. The coil set I picked up (original with the spacers) looked rough and quite rusty, but totally intact and solid. Since they are correct, my hopes are high they will work out. Anyone out there have any reservations about rusty coils? IMO, a little rust is no big deal, especially given the sheer heft and thickness of these springs - they are frickin' huge and solid. Apart from that, she's getting a full set of brand-new shocks. I should have her back in a couple hours. I'll drop back in here after my first "resprung" ride.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM

Buying coils that are rusty could be ok, it depends on if they were already installed on a car or not. If they were on a car for 30+ years then they are going to sag. If they are NOS coils that sat on a shelf for 30+ years and got a little rusty then you will probably be ok.

BTW, Fusicks and Kanter are good sources for full-sized suspension parts.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the reply Olds64

They were off a car, but they've been sitting in a barn for the last 20 years or so, earning their patina, so to say.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:40 AM

Was the car sitting on the ground or was it on jack stands for 20 years? IF the car was sitting on tires/wheels with the suspension bearing all the weight then those springs aren't going to be any better than the ones you had on the car originally (unless of course your original springs were broken).

Leaf springs can be re-tempered, coil springs cannot. Once the "strenght of the spring" is gone out of a coil spring it can't be repaired.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:00 PM

they were actually out of the car...

...sitting on a backshelf at a wrecker in neighbouring BC. The spacers that came with them are barely used.

Quick Reply: I know you hate my Ninety-Eight...