Looking for parts for a 67 olds 98

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Looking for parts for a 67 olds 98

Hi, I'm not sure if this would be the right area to put this but.

I was wondering if Anyone would happen to know where I could find a replacement Fuel Sending unit or just parts for a 98 The unit is a 56 - 86 unit (it looks like a soda can with two straws sticking out.) The gas tank that was on the car when I got it appears to have been taken apart before, the person took the float and filter out, either that or it's not the original tank on the car. I've looked around the internet and I could only find parts for 442s, tornados, and cutlasses.

thanks
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Speidy
Hi, I'm not sure if this would be the right area to put this but.

I was wondering if Anyone would happen to know where I could find a replacement Fuel Sending unit or just parts for a 98 The unit is a 56 - 86 unit (it looks like a soda can with two straws sticking out.) The gas tank that was on the car when I got it appears to have been taken apart before, the person took the float and filter out, either that or it's not the original tank on the car. I've looked around the internet and I could only find parts for 442s, tornados, and cutlasses.

thanks
Hey, I just went through all this with the gas tank my '67 Delta 88, which has the same sending unit. First off, you won't find an aftermarket unit for the '67 full-size cars. I've seen NOS units on ebay VERY occasionally and often at an exorbitant price. One guy wanted $300 for his, claiming that having this will make your car absolutely original. He's right, but who looks INSIDE the gas tank when you're at a car show?

Anyway, the sending unit for a '72 Buick LeSabre, while it doesn't look the same, is a drop-in replacement, assuming you have an original gas tank. It has two tubes coming out of the top instead of just one, but you just have to cap off the one you're not using. The '72s had a fuel vapor return line which was something that wasn't a feature of the '67s. I bought mine at Rockauto for about $70.
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Oldsdruid

If he has a factory a/c car that sending unit might work without capping the return line.

Or if you have the sender, it can be rebuilt. Several companies do it. Here's one I've used: http://www.autoinstruments.com/

The website doesn't mention sender repair now, but they did a good job on a 66 Starfire unit for me several years back. Plus they're only 30 miles up the road from me...
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
If he has a factory a/c car that sending unit might work without capping the return line.
Thank you. You're actually quite correct. The sending unit out of my car had only one pipe coming out the top (photo below).

However, the factory service manual does show the sending unit having two pipes, so I assume that if your vehicle had one with two pipes, that's what you'd replace it with back in the day (while I would have replaced mine with a single-pipe unit), and the unit I mentioned that fits the '72 LeSabre would be an even better drop in replacement for Speidy than it was for me as he would have a line to connect to that second pipe and thus no need to cap anything.
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the info, also jaunty mine is the type with 2 pipes, so a 72 Lesabre would work as a stand in?
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Speidy
Thanks for the info, also jaunty mine is the type with 2 pipes, so a 72 Lesabre would work as a stand in?
My guess is that it would work perfectly.

The link below is a picture of the unit from the Rockauto website. This is what I put in my '67 Delta 88.

http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...I/m_fg106a.jpg
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:21 PM

Ok thanks, THat seams like it would fit/work, I just need to save the money for it now.

Thanks again
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:05 AM

I also have had good luck with usapartssupply.com
They will send you a catalog and/or you can view the catalog online. They have many parts. They're a bit expensive, but the parts are available and can be shipped.