Need advice on a stereo installation kit for my 1977 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Need advice on a stereo installation kit for my 1977 Delta 88

Alright, so, as you may know, the 1977-1989 Custom Cruiser, and 1977-84 Delta 88 used the same dashboard, with the same 1.5 DIN opening, except, sometime around 1989 they put in a standard 1.5 DIN GM radio, I have the panel from that radio from my 1989, the bolt pattern for the radio was the same as my 1977 that used a shaft **** radio, both bolted in with four side bolts, top corners. Except the shaft **** unit used a steel plate, the 1989 used side brackets on the radio, which I evidently will have to source if this kit has any chance of working.

Here is the difference between the 1989 Custom Cruiser (left) and 1977 Delta 88(right) dash panel:

So then, simply put, will this kit meant for a 1989 Custom Cruiser fit my Delta 88?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_003GMK1...eiver-Kit.html

For the record, I'm using this head unit:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...VH-X560BT.html

I already have a harness adapter made for power, dimmer, and ground, from the factory radio plug, and I know that I have to use the power from the cigarette lighter as a constant 12v source for the memory wire. I also know that I have to run rear speaker wires, since there are not any, and if they did exist, they would be wired as common ground. I will not be using dash speakers most likely. I will be surface mounting some 6x9 rear deck speakers.

Thanks for any advice you can give, I'm not certain if this will work, but here's hoping.
Old February 10th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

You need to find out EXCATLY what parts the kit includes/doesn't include.

If there are universal replacement brackets similar to the factory 88-90 ones included you would be ok.

However the more likely scenario is :

The kit was designed with the assumption one was going to use with an untouched & fully intact OEM setup.

If that's the case ... the kit would most likely have you re-using the OEM brackets.

Long story short :

I'd just get out in front of this & post a wanted ad for the 1988-1990 style brackets.

Old February 10th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
You need to find out EXCATLY what parts the kit includes/doesn't include.

If there are universal replacement brackets similar to the factory 88-90 ones included you would be ok.

However the more likely scenario is :

The kit was designed with the assumption one was going to use with an untouched & fully intact OEM setup.

If that's the case ... the kit would most likely have you re-using the OEM brackets.

Long story short :

I'd just get out in front of this & post a wanted ad for the 1988-1990 style brackets.

I can find the brackets, they're easy, I've got a few cars to rummage around in up at the junkyard when I get my E brake pedal assembly. I was just curious if the kit its self will fit, or if there is some strange incompatibility. I'm certain it won't come with the required brackets, and no kits do for less than $25 it seems.

Off topic, did you know that wearing tin foil on your head actually increases radio and microwaves your head receives? IE, in the modern day of cell phone towers everywhere, you are somewhat more likely to get a brain tumor wearing any kind of metal on your head than not. It basically makes your head an antenna. I personally find this contradictory fact to be quite frankly, hilarious.
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by Dead Reckon
I can find the brackets, they're easy, I've got a few cars to rummage around in up at the junkyard when I get my E brake pedal assembly. I was just curious if the kit its self will fit, or if there is some strange incompatibility. I'm certain it won't come with the required brackets, and no kits do for less than $25 it seems.

Off topic, did you know that wearing tin foil on your head actually increases radio and microwaves your head receives? IE, in the modern day of cell phone towers everywhere, you are somewhat more likely to get a brain tumor wearing any kind of metal on your head than not. It basically makes your head an antenna. I personally find this contradictory fact to be quite frankly, hilarious.
I haven't bought anything from Crutchfield in ages ...

But when I did would always doctor up what vehicle stuff was going in to try to maximize the included "freebies" so to speak ... if I thought I might need such things for something down the road.

In regards to the cranial RF signals & stuff .....

I'm not sure how much room there would be for that ... considering how much space the voices are already taking up.