Possible newb with 1968 98 Convert

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2022, 05:15 PM

Possible newb with 1968 98 Convert

Sorry to barge in with instant questions. Just figured I ask the experts BEFORE I screw up. So if I buy it I would be happy to be a member here. If no sale thanks in advance for any info.

Found a 68 98 convert I want to buy. So far I've found brake drums or rotors are only available used?

So what other parts/services can be tough to do or obtain for this model and vintage?

It's a very clean rust free car. Just don't know what items might be a pain to obtain, to keep it rolling in good health. Would also appreciate any tips on what to look for with these models.

The power seat is stuck but the motor runs. I've got experience with the GM system as I've fooled with Cadillac's seats of this vintage. So I know it could be a cheapie or a few bucks to fix.
Old June 28th, 2022, 05:40 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Thanks for stopping by; you will be glad you did! I don't know squat about a '68 98, but there are guys here that do know them well. Stand by.....
Old June 28th, 2022, 07:00 PM

Welcome! I love my 68’s… and have considerable experience with them. You noted brakes… yes if the car has the rare and optional front disc brakes, the rotors and brake booster are hard to come by. Drums not so much. The steering and most of the front suspension is Oldsmobile only so minimal aftermarket replacement parts exist. I’ve collected nos parts to cover my cars but it takes time to locate. Obviously trim and moldings are tough too. If it’s in nice shape you probably won’t have too much to chase. I’ve found weatherstripping for mine from various sources but sometimes have to experiment as listings don’t always include Oldsmobiles. Good luck and post pics once you have her! Hope this helps, Dave
Old June 29th, 2022, 05:05 AM

Hope you can work a deal with the current owner. Be aware that you'll have to get an aftermarket driver's exhaust manifold to put dual exhaust on it if it doesn't already have duals. Reproduction manifolds are available from Thornton's.

https://www.thorntonmusclecars.com/p...aust-manifolds
Old June 29th, 2022, 09:01 AM

Sorry to say I ended up squashing the deal for a variety of reasons. No land yacht for me. At this time.

Thank you for the replies. My brief time here was very nice.
Old June 29th, 2022, 09:20 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Land Yachting
Sorry to say I ended up squashing the deal for a variety of reasons. No land yacht for me. At this time.

Thank you for the replies. My brief time here was very nice.
Feel free to stick around. You never know when you might trip across another Olds!