Progress on the 62 Olds 98 engine bay/pictures

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM

Progress on the 62 Olds 98 engine bay/pictures

In the last few weeks when I've had time, i have been cleaning up the engine since its never been cleaned or painted like this since the car was produced, and painting in the 60's was horrible to todays standards. The paint color was close to what it was from factory.. I painted it red/orange. A little more orange than factory but i still think it looks great!! Alot of busted knuckles and flustration. But its starting to come together. Enjoy the pics and comments are welcome..good/bad/or whatever you thinking!

Old November 4th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Very nice, only comment I have is to lose that air cleaner. They have been very problematic over the years, I can't believe they still sell them!
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:39 AM

What has been the issue with those air cleaner??? I have clearence issues with the carb, having a 1 inch adapter plate on it. Any recomindations for air cleaners that are low enough to handle my clearence issues???
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by fasteddi
What has been the issue with those air cleaner??? I have clearence issues with the carb, having a 1 inch adapter plate on it. Any recomindations for air cleaners that are low enough to handle my clearence issues???
They like to catch fire and also crumble and fall in to the motor. Do you not have the stock one?
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:56 AM

The stock one(air cleaner) wont fit the aftermarket carb. and i dont like the rochester at all!!! This carb makes the car purr like a kitten! Even if the stock air cleaner would fit, i would have clearence issues because of the spread bore to square bore adapter, that measures almost an inch in added hight.
Old November 4th, 2011, 03:48 PM

Heres better updated pics of how well the wheel wells/engine bay looked after routine paint. Obvously the pluming and wiring/acc pulleys arent back on yet. Im taking my time, when i have time to play with the car. Next year I wont be embarrised to lift the hood at car shows since it was the only part of the car that was filfthy(engine bay)

Old November 4th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Looks good!
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:33 PM

The stock air cleaner will fit. Well somewhat. I used an edelbrock carb with electric choke and a stock '62 air cleaner. I bought the edelbrock air cleaner assembly. I also used a spacer due to the electric choke hitting the air cleaner. So it's the
edelbrock spacer -edelbrock air cleaner base -edelbrock air filter -and the stock '62 air cleaner top. And everything looks pretty good and fits well
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
The stock air cleaner will fit. Well somewhat. I used an edelbrock carb with electric choke and a stock '62 air cleaner. I bought the edelbrock air cleaner assembly. I also used a spacer due to the electric choke hitting the air cleaner. So it's the
edelbrock spacer -edelbrock air cleaner base -edelbrock air filter -and the stock '62 air cleaner top. And everything looks pretty good and fits well
Thats a Holley this guy is running though.
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM

The problem is that the carb opening is bigger than the air cleaners opening.. I dont see how the stock one would ever fit without another adapter of some sort that would cause even more clearence issues.

Who knows of a better air cleaner/assembly than i have that would accept the carb and the need for a short hight of the total air cleaner????
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:23 PM

I know that's a Holley. The idea would still work if the carburetor opening diameter is the same as Edelbrocks.
Old November 5th, 2011, 07:40 AM

Is there an adapter that they sell to make the opining in the carb fit the stock air cleaner? Without adding more hight??? This has mechanical secondarys and choke, the stock aircleaner does not hit the choke, it just doesnt fit the opening