Vent window motor rebuild, power seat motors

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2021, 12:37 PM

Vent window motor rebuild, power seat motors

Has anyone rebuilt the vent window motors? I pulled mine out. They click, but nothing spins. I didn't know if there is something I can do to just rebuild these vs buying aftermarket or old stockers on Ebay since they are quite expensive.

I've also been trying to get the power seat motors to all work. They also click, but the seat doesn't move all the time. tilt up works great. Tilt backward doesn't work very often and forward and backward aren't working at all, but there is power going from the switch to the seat. I can feel the relay clicking with the switch movement, but the seat isn't moving. Haven't been able to unbolt the seat because it won't go forward or backward far enough to get in there.

Any idea are greatly appreciated
Old January 16th, 2021, 01:27 PM
Oldsdruid

Put straight 12v to the vent motors and see if they'll operate. You may have to "help" them get started. If you can get them going that way, good. I think they'll need a little more help to be reliable though. You'll have to take the gearboxes off the motors and disassemble them. Use electrical cleaner in the motors and gearboxes and see if it will clean out old dried grease. Then relube the gearboxes. I like modern synthetic grease for stuff like this. SuperLube has worked well for me.

This is why I'm glad none of mine have power vents. Friend has two 60s Pontiacs with them and they were a bear to get going.

Last edited by rocketraider; January 16th, 2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old January 16th, 2021, 01:32 PM
Oldsdruid

Does the seat motor run when you actuate the switch in all directions? Solenoids click in all directions? If it does the problem is in the seat transmission, drive cables, or jackscrews. Again, everything needs cleaned and relubed. Power seat can be a pain if it's been run too low down for access.
Old January 16th, 2021, 03:01 PM

Seat Motor doesn't seem to run in all directions, but the solenoid clicks in every direction. I've got tilt forward always, tilt backward sometimes, and no forward or backward, but the relay "clicks" with the button push. I'm sure its easy if I could get the seat our and clean it all up, but I can't get to the bolts with the seat stuck forward, lol.

The vent window motors I took out and connected to 12v. I get a click, but the motor doesn't spin. I took it apart and cleaned all the contacts with degreaser and sanded the metal contacts, but still nothing happens when I put it all back together. Nothing looks inherently wrong with them, but I don't know that much about electric motors.......
Old January 16th, 2021, 05:58 PM
4R5

You probably know this: The vent motors (& pwr window motors) have 2 terminals, 12V goes to either one and ground goes to the case. Hook 12V to the other terminal and the motor goes in the opposite direction. But I've seen several people hook 12V and ground to both the terminals and then say the motor is shot.
Old January 16th, 2021, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4R5
You probably know this: The vent motors (& pwr window motors) have 2 terminals, 12V goes to either one and ground goes to the case. Hook 12V to the other terminal and the motor goes in the opposite direction. But I've seen several people hook 12V and ground to both the terminals and then say the motor is shot.

That's good info. I did realize that once I got it opened up and looked at it. I'm trying to figure out the internals. There is a switch point in there that is on a spring arm. It looks like it should open and close with power application, but it was just touching all the time. I tried gapping the contact and it didn't change anything there.....Thanks for the help here
Old January 17th, 2021, 06:14 AM
4R5

That's a circuit breaker, it will open if the motor is stalled or shorted. It should be closed as you saw it. If you haven't, I would pull off the gear case and see if the motor spins, it should spin fast in both directions. As mentioned above if the motor spins then clean out the old grease in the gear box. Be careful - there are several special washers and bushings that can easily get lost.
Old January 17th, 2021, 05:56 PM

Success rebuilding one of the vent window motors and rebuilding the seat motor! The both work as of this moment out of the car. Hopefully once they are reinstalled they will still work. Need to still get the passanger side door apart to Dx that one. Probably the same thing.
Old January 17th, 2021, 09:06 PM
4R5

Curious, what did you do to get them running?
Old January 18th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Took them apart and light sanded the contacts. The brushes seem to be in pretty good shape still. I broke one of the lead wires inside and had to solder it back together. I didn't take any picture, but I guess I should have. I'll try and take pics on the second vent window motor when I get it apart. So far they are functioning still.
Old January 31st, 2021, 07:22 AM

Took some picks of the insides of the passenger side motor. I took sandpaper and cleaned up the contacts and then took a razor blade and cleaned between the separator lines all the way around. Put the brushes back into the slots and made sure the springs were still working and put it back together. Works like a charm now. Also had to weld on a new tang for the vent window because the old one was twisted off and broken.

Attached Images
Old January 31st, 2021, 08:52 AM
Oldsdruid

Damn gadgets...

You know, if you have the spare time to do it, this could turn into a side hustle. Airboddy who has these things needs them serviced sooner or later!

Last edited by rocketraider; January 31st, 2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old January 31st, 2021, 09:05 AM
4R5

Nice work! That gear that you pictured is easily stripped, that was by design, but there is a guy that sells repro gears. BTW, those vent motors are not cheap these days, easily $150 each.
Old February 1st, 2021, 05:10 AM

Glad you got it!