Wanted: Light blue steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM

Wanted: Light blue steering wheel

75 76 88 98 Custom Cruiser Toro trim code 260

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wagonsteeringwheel.jpg (61.9 KB, 121 views)
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Have you thought about having this wheel professionally restored? I don't see them come up for sale very often, and most aren't in as good a shape as you have. You'd probably pay less for a resto than a new wheel. And the other thing about a "new" NOS wheel is that it's bound to crack too. Sooner or later, after all think about how old it is.
I found that if you Google "Steering Wheel Restoration" it gives lots of good resources. Damn! I even found one right here in Edmonton that I didn't know existed. Guess who I'm gonna go visit for a quote on a wheel?......

I hope this information helps. I'm really glad you asked the question or I probably wouldn't have thought to look up this stuff.

Here's a pic of one of the restorations - looks like a 70 Delta?? Very nice fixit job.
Attached Images
oldswheel.jpg (81.4 KB, 12 views)
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM

thanks Allan, I have, $600+, just can't do that right now
Old July 4th, 2009, 06:35 AM

I haven't tried it, but have heard others talk about using a kit from Eastwood. Try a search to see if you can find other threads that describe their do-it-yourself kit. John
Old July 4th, 2009, 06:49 AM

my biggest problem is not the wheel, it is getting it off and what to do with the car while it is being refinished (I work for a boatbuilder and my guys can refinish it but it would take a few days)
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Oldsdruid

The cracks in the wheel itself will be easy to repair. What's going to kill you is the foil inlay with clear strip over it.

What I'd do is find a 77-80 two-spoke sport wheel as used in Delta 88 and Cutlass Calais. The blue color for those is identical and believe it or not they look good in 71-76 cars. I've had them in my 76 CC and my 73 Royale ragtop, and a buddy put one in a 76 Ninety Eight LS. The wheel and a set of SSIV's changed the character of that car into what a high-line Ninety Eight was in the mid 60s- elegant, but sporty.

Another option would be to find a Salon wheel, which used same horn pad but had soft rim and no foil inlay.

As mentioned, about any NOS wheel you find is going to be expensive at best, and outrageous at worst.
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I think once I con my mechanic out of his wheel puller for a few days I will have the guys at work do it and just fill in the missing walnut and foil area with filler and paint the whole wheel with Imron, cheap and easy, like me

or I may never do anything to it because it really does not bother me THAT much with the blue ghetto cover
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM

One last option... I have a cracked faded blue wheel on a 1978 Toro column. I'd be willing to give it to you if you cover shipping costs from Oregon. You could put it on for a driver while yours is being repaired. John
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM

that sounds awesome John, will do, thanks! will PM you my address
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:07 AM

well after 7 months and a half dozen steering wheels I finally have a new (to me) steering wheel. went with a Pontiac (I liked the 3 spoke, which only came with tilt & telescope wheels on Olds) so I got a 70 something wheel, and changed the emblem. The wood grain got hand redone as well. Looks pretty good! Hope it fits!
Attached Images
303654890373_0_0.jpg (76.9 KB, 13 views)
303654790277_0_0.jpg (56.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by jeffreyalman; December 4th, 2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
well after 7 months and a half dozen steering wheels I finally have a new (to me) steering wheel. went with a Pontiac (I liked the 3 spoke, which only came with tilt & telescope wheels on Olds) so I got a 70 something wheel, and changed the emblem. The wood grain got hand redone as well. Looks pretty good! Hope it fits!
Jeffrey,
Well done! That wheel looks really awesome even if it is an Oldsmotiac Maybe Ponmobile? I'll bet that most people wouldn't know the difference between stock and what you've done on this. Should be absolutely bolt in without any issues. Again, nice work.

BTW, I really like how your woodgrain came out. What's the secret?
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM

thanks Allan. Our painter at work did the woodgrain. He did an awesome job and would love side work, I will talk him up. I have a few peeps that need some woodgraining done and they were waiting to see how the wheel turned out. It's excellent. (He used to refinish furniture now paints boats)

It was all rubbed away in the corners, about an inch of silver on both sides of all 3 spokes was showing. It worked out well because the rocket did not cover the Pontiac emblem so it needed a little woodgrain base.

Already got it installed, and it's cool. My mechanic said it's a little lighter than the old one but you know what? All the blue has faded differently, seats, dash, etc, so I say it blends just fine.
Attached Images
wheel2.jpg (52.1 KB, 6 views)
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
thanks Allan. Our painter at work did the woodgrain. He did an awesome job and would love side work, I will talk him up. I have a few peeps that need some woodgraining done and they were waiting to see how the wheel turned out. It's excellent. (He used to refinish furniture now paints boats)

It was all rubbed away in the corners, about an inch of silver on both sides of all 3 spokes was showing. It worked out well because the rocket did not cover the Pontiac emblem so it needed a little woodgrain base.

Already got it installed, and it's cool. My mechanic said it's a little lighter than the old one but you know what? All the blue has faded differently, seats, dash, etc, so I say it blends just fine.
Pics a little on the blurry side, but I get the general idea. Looks positively awesome. Sooooo, do you mind me asking, what kind of $$$ did this work out to? Did you also have to repaint the wheel? I know there's either R&M or Dupont special paints and prep that can be used on these old wheels. I'm thinking of re doing the wheel in my 98, and that means I'll also need some leather dye.
Old December 4th, 2009, 04:49 PM

nope, I bought the wheel blue. Paid $5 on eBay (but I bought 3 or 4 others for like $20 - $30 ea) Cost me $20 for some clearcoat + whatever I am going to give him ($50 or so???)