What qualifies as a "Land Yacht?"

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Does this qualify as a land yacht or does the Land Yacht Club require four doors. The 57 will not fit in most garages
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0737.jpg (57.6 KB, 30 views)
Old December 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM
in love with a '71 98

i would say that your beautiful 57 is part of the club for sure! to me it doesnt matter if the car is 2 or 4 doors. my dad's 76 coupe deville was a 2 door, obviously, but it was just as big as my 98 hardtop sedan. so yes, as far as im concerned, youre in! haha

-Bob
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Does this qualify as a land yacht or does the Land Yacht Club require four doors. The 57 will not fit in most garages
if fitting in your garage is a problem, mine could accommodate it !
Beautiful auto
mike
Old December 25th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Mike,

Could not part with my baby.
Old December 26th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Should the Toronado line be included?
I'm with Oldsguy on this. If you could get a 2 door 88 or 98 and that classifies as a yacht also... why not the Toronado, especially up to 1977? After all it also doesn't have a "meager" engine.
Old December 28th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Talking

My '66 98 convertible sits in the carport along side my wife's '00 Suburban. The 98 is a tad longer, I found this to be so hilarious the first time I pulled in, I instantly declared the Olds our official Land Yacht!
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:46 PM
2 '66 98's

I have to back my '66 98 convertible into the garage in order to fit and get out of the car. Just enough room to close the overhead door. Taped it once, I think it measured 18 feet 9 inches. Aside: A friend of mine in Milwaukee is keeping a registry on '66 98 convertibles. If yours is not included and you would like it to be, just answer back and I will give you his e-mail for contact.
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Ahoy Mates! I have my own fleet. I also have a solid 1966 Dynamic conv. that needs redone but it's on the back burner. So busy plus other interest. I have kinda lost interest in Olds. I bought the house of my dreams but no buildings for my cars, yet. I have three buildings full of Olds but when they are 5 miles away one doesn't work on them much. Later, Ken
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Past Administrator

Kenny, I still like that 4 door.
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM
2 '66 98's

Kenny, Nice looking rides! You know, I really have to feel sorry for a man who has so many toys and just can't seem to get around to them. I have three myself but I do use them all at least a time or two during the nice weather months. (Of course, the house projects don't always get done in a timely fashion) Get to work and build a nice six bay garage and bring the babies home! Good luck. Bruce
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:50 PM

My Super 88 is big, but i looked it up and its just under 4200 lbs. But i can fit about 8 bodys in the trunk. LOL
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Big is better. The for door qualifies as a land yacht for sure
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM

I can fit about 8 bodys in the trunk
It is sort of scary that you know that.
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Your obviously not familiar with how to get your buddies into a Drive-in Movie for free.
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Your obviously not familiar with how to get your buddies into a Drive-in Movie for free.
I told him about that before, he must have just forgotten.
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
IDK I live outside Chicago, and thats what the guy said when i bought it.
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Dan,

The young don't always listen when you tell them something. Olds64 you can fit more then 8 in your trunk, from the looks of it you could fit the all of the girls from a hooters bar in there
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
in love with a '71 98

i can lay across the trunk of my 71 98...and im 6'5"! if you needed to, you could live in the trunks of some of these oldsmobiles, and i would before id get rid of mine!

-Bob
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM

I call my Olds my "money-pits." I'm joking but there is a lot of truth there also. One doesn't restore one of the "bigger" girls to make $$. I always say if one gets $.50 back on every dollar (labor means nothing) when they sell they doing good. I like to drag race, in the 60's I was into Chevy's,long story but after raising my Kids (Teacher & Lawyer) I got back into racing but with a Cutlass small block Olds 350. I should have stayed with that one an been happy. Mild built Olds 350's are near bullit proof. I got an Olds education the hard way. The first "big block" spun #5 rod bearing, I saw a "Mondello" ad and called. I said to Joe "do these 455's have an oiling problem?" "F**king A, they got an oiling prpblem!" said Joe. "Buy my book." I did plus a few thousand dollars worth of his parts. By this time my Brother and I had built a one ton car hauler with a 12 ton PTO(Big Daddy) that really started my down fall of the slippery Oldsmobile sloop. I figured if these "big blocks" were so fragile I better find some more since they don't make them anymore. I started dragging 88's/98's out of fields/hill-sides/gullies/small mountians in Ohio,Pa.W.Va. I would pull the engine/trans and scrape/sell the rest. Back in the 90's I could find them easily and cheap because no one wanted the big girls. Some where in decent shape and I started taking a likeing to them, big mistake. Thats how I got into the "Big Girls." I have 3 building on 5 acres where I keep them. I also have an area surrounded by pine trees where I have "parts" Oldsmobile cars. It is out in the country but they built some "mansions" near-by and a few years ago I had a zoning problem and I sold/scraped 9 Olds plus put up 800' of fence. Haven't had a problem since but it is only a matter of time. I still have 8 part cars "hid." I've had good luck with the big blocks since that first learning experience. The Turquoius 1967 98 has my old Cutlass (11:47/117 miles per hour)race engine with a smaller cam. Drove it to the Miller meet and ran 13:18@100mph and drove home. Not bad for 4680#. It has a 3:08 posi and I am just shifting into high the end of the 1/4 mi. At the end of the quarter she is really just starting to pull. I drive it on the street and have "surprised" a few Chevy's/Fords. Good Luck, Ken http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...14-2007-42.jpg
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Hey ken

Cool story. 13.18 with that pig. Must be a strong engine! keep up the good work!
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:32 AM

That is a bummer that you had problems with your new neighbors complaining about your parts cars. I would have told them to go take a hike. It is a shame the way people think these days...
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Sure you can email me with more info about your friend.

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
I have to back my '66 98 convertible into the garage in order to fit and get out of the car. Just enough room to close the overhead door. Taped it once, I think it measured 18 feet 9 inches. Aside: A friend of mine in Milwaukee is keeping a registry on '66 98 convertibles. If yours is not included and you would like it to be, just answer back and I will give you his e-mail for contact.
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Captain of my ship

Here I am looking for a 69 or 70 grill for a 98 convertible so it kills me to hear of parts cars being scrapped. Anyone got a set of grills kicking around? The guy I got my car from put in 88 grills which were different. Olds64 ... I think that most people consider late 60's and early 70's 88 & 98 convertibles land yachts. I remember seeing a 61 caddy convertible ..now that was huge!!!
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 69convertible
hmmmmm I wonder
Why any one would do that t a perfectly good car is beyond me. I had a 71 buick 225 4 dr hardtop. That ting was a land yacht! What a tank, fun but a wallowing pig at speed.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM

I think that most people consider late 60's and early 70's 88 & 98 convertibles land yachts. I remember seeing a 61 caddy convertible ..now that was huge!
I'm not most people, I am the Landyacht Club President. People asked me what a landyacht is and I consider 4 doors landyachts. Everyone wants a 2 door; therefore, 4 doors need something special to set them apart. Thus, I created the Landyacht Club.
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Captain of my ship

Question olds64 club president?

How many members are in your little club. Are only oldsmobiles considered land yachts? Only sedans and hardtops? You say only 4 door, did you consider the 61 Lincoln Continental 4 door convertible?When was the election held that made you land yacht club president? Personnally I think that it should go by size and not how many doors.There is another land yacht skipper with a 2 door 88 convertible , nice car but is it a dingy or what? All I really want to know is a valid reason for it being 4 door club only! Not just cause you say so or cause you don't like 2 doors or you have no large 2 door cars.
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by wolfman98
How many members are in your little club. Are only oldsmobiles considered land yachts? Only sedans and hardtops? You say only 4 door, did you consider the 61 Lincoln Continental 4 door convertible?When was the election held that made you land yacht club president? Personnally I think that it should go by size and not how many doors.There is another land yacht skipper with a 2 door 88 convertible , nice car but is it a dingy or what? All I really want to know is a valid reason for it being 4 door club only! Not just cause you say so or cause you don't like 2 doors or you have no large 2 door cars.
I'm not sure it has to be a four door. But don't start a mutiny here. We'd have to make ya walk the plank.

Elections, We don't need no stinking elections.

Olds 64 is like Idi Amin "President for life" Only in this case it's "Comadore for life" and I hope he makes it longer than Ole Idi did.
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wolfman98
They won't let me in their "little club" along with countless others so don't feel bad. My Vista Cruiser has four doors and is just as long but not wide enough. The rejection is hard to take but I think I can handle it with support from family and friends.
Old January 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Sorry for the Normesque answer, but...

How many members are in your little club
1 as far as I know. I never really recruited anybody.

Are only oldsmobiles considered land yachts?
Those are the only ones I am concerned with.

did you consider the 61 Lincoln Continental 4 door convertible?
No, why would I consider a Lincoln, this is an Oldsmobile website.

When was the election held that made you land yacht club president?
I took me about 5 minutes to decide on "Landyacht Club President" as my member description in the User Control Panel. I like J-Chicago's member description of "Seasoned Beater Pilot" so I decided to come up with my own.

Personnally I think that it should go by size and not how many doors.
Cool.

There is another land yacht skipper with a 2 door 88 convertible , nice car but is it a dingy or what?
2 door 88s are very cool!

All I really want to know is a valid reason for it being 4 door club only!
Only 4 doors can be land yachts, remember?

Not just cause you say so or cause you don't like 2 doors or you have no large 2 door cars.
I did say so, but just because I did doesn't mean that you are anyone else can't call their car a land yacht. Unfortunately, the only two door car I own is a VW Beetle. It definitely doesn't qualify as a landyacht.
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Captain of my ship

Well ok then you can be president of your 4 door land cruiser. The guy I got the 69-98 convetible had a little dash plate on the ashtray with his name and title as captain of his land yacht. Now that I own his land yacht then that now makes me captain of the ship , and I don't mind if anyone else proclaims themselves as captains of their ships as long as they are long enough and wide enough to be considered. I wish I also had a 61 Lincoln Continental because they are rare to find but I love my Olds and will keep her. She spent most of her life on the prairies so I have never found a car like this with such a solid frame and undercarriage. The motor needs lots of cleaning up and that is what I am working on this winter. Would you know what original colors would be for the 69 455cid. Currently has chrome but it's peeling so I wanted to get them redone. Were they black or blue or does it depend on which 455 that it came with.
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM

I believe the 69 455 was red. You can check our Oldsmobile Junction link at the top of the forums. They should have that information. You must post pictures now!
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Captain of my ship

Thanks jess
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Land Yacht Skipper

Cool

wolfman any pics of your 69=98
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:14 AM

Wolfman98

Is that a continental I see on the back of your car?

How about a pic of it?
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Registered

Hey, my 89 year old mother-in law has a '61 Lincoln Continental sitting in her garage she uses as a table for her flower arranging, it's a door stop for the screen door too.
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Captain of my ship

Figured out how to add pic to my title so you see the car as of 2 weeks ago. There are a few less pieces conected to the engine , hoses, tubes,belts manifolds, pumps brackets . Soon it will be all cleaned up and painted Olds red-orange. You think the intake manifold should be done the same color? It probably was originally I need to find color for the valve covers (now chrome and peeling) and the air breather with heater pipe that runs from passenger exhaust to breather. I mat not put that back on since I only plan on driving car when I can enjoy the open top. It has a new top and it works so if I get caught in sudden rain that"s ok but I really love the convertible. The original radio and the speaker in the back seat works! It had an 8-track when I got it this summer , the first thing I removed.
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Past Administrator

Who did that song with the verse "I'm your captain, I'm your captain, so return me, my ship. Listen to me, listen to me..."? Cool song anyway.
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Who did that song with the verse "I'm your captain, I'm your captain, so return me, my ship. Listen to me, listen to me..."? Cool song anyway.
Grand Funk Railroad. The Blues Image did "Ride Captain Ride". I think both songs were about the seizure of the USS Pueblo by the North Koreans.
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Captain of my ship

to 69 convertible
just the one that is under my name. If you click on the wolfman98 highlighted in blue it opens up bigger. I just got a new computer cause the other one crashed and took all pics I had. There is one more I can scan and put in if I could figure out how to add to my profile gallery. It just keeps switching photos , any ideas?
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Captain of my ship

Really , is it a convertible?

Quick Reply: What qualifies as a "Land Yacht?"