A/C Help

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Exclamation A/C Help

I have a 1985 Toronado. Neither the AC or Heat works. If I set it to vent, I'll get a little bit of air, alot from the middle-bottom vent(sometimes). On any other setting there is no air at all. If on anything other than vent, I hear pressure escaping from the control box. Anyone know what the problem could be?
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Check for vacuum leaks from engine area to controls at dash
Old November 5th, 2007, 07:05 AM

ANy ducts disconnected?
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by sama87
I have a 1985 Toronado. Neither the AC or Heat works. If I set it to vent, I'll get a little bit of air, alot from the middle-bottom vent(sometimes). On any other setting there is no air at all. If on anything other than vent, I hear pressure escaping from the control box. Anyone know what the problem could be?
I had a problem with a 70 delta 88, first the heater didn't work because the vacuum line was plugged off. I didn't have any vent because there is a vacuum diaphram valve that opened the flapper inside the plenuim that due to age had fallen apart.
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Sounds like your problem is with the mode door which determines where the air will be directed (defr, htr, ac outlets, vent, etc). Some model have the mode door diaphragm open or closed with vacuum or the opposite of being spring lodaded and open or closed without vaccum. Probably a hand vaccuum tester to determine if the door is working and a vacuum diagram would be helpful which is usually printed in the Olds shop manual or thru MOTOR manuals or Chilton or Mitchell.

Good luck
Jerry
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:52 AM

PS you might be able to get a vacuum diagram thru MOTOR.com...they are suppliers for ALLDATA and their data base goes back to 1982. If no luck on the internet then go to a nearby shop of which most have Motor/Alldata, Alldata or Mitchell on their PC and you can probably get a printout of the diagram for a nominal or no fee.

Good Luck