how to mount on-dash tach (1966, 442)

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2010, 10:42 AM

how to mount on-dash tach (1966, 442)

just finishing restoration, i am trying to figure out, how the on-dash tachometer for the 1966 442 has to be mounted correctly.

yes, i have the body manuals and all other literature and factory drawings (thanks to OPC @ wildaboutcars), but in real-life, the tach is just screwed through the "soft" part of the dash-pad on the outmost left.
as the tach is quite massive and heavy, i have the fear, that the dash will "wobble" during cruise and also the dash-pad will brake after a short while.

the tach i am referring to can be seen on that picture for example (no, not mine) http://www.secondchancegarage.com/ar...bile-442-9.jpg

i have all the correct and original material, i just need some advice, if that is a good idea at all or if that tach was just an optional gimmick and ruined the dash in the end.

thank you, alex.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM

The tach stayed in place just fine, but it is better to use the second design inner bracket (near the speedo cluster) because it had a bigger base. I have a piece of an old dash but won't be able to access it for a couple weeks; it might help as a template but I have never had a problem just lining up the tach and the base bracket and then cutting a hole through the dash pad where the tach would be in a reasonable location. The base has studs cast into it so you won't crush the pad when you tighten the screws.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:50 AM

ok.. thank you, but - no wobbling while driving ?
it just holds onto the pad and this place has no stiff structure..?!
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:31 AM
"me somebody" site member

It shouldn't wobble; if you have the complete setup (moutning "flange" at the base of the tach, plus the inner bracker (esp. and Rund pointed out, the larger, later version).

The tach shown in this recent Ebay auction has the smaller, earlier inner bracket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...Q5fAccessories

I've attached a pic below in which you should be able to make out the size and shape of the larger inner bracket, a reproduction item made out of aluminum I had bought from Curt Anderson ("kmblflash" on Ebay).

I believe someone on this site did post instructions some time back (maybe you can search the "archives") from the assembly manual detailing how to properly mount the tach; you could eyeball it as Rund suggested, but it takes A LOT of courage to start poking holes in the dash, instructions or not!

Here's what happened when I tried this some years back (those padded dashes can be VERY brittle):

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tach2.jpg (35.1 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; May 6th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:06 PM

thank you, i have that inner bracket, like on your pic - it is the complete set of pieces, i have.

ok, i will mount it, but i still wonder, how a soft dash-pad will carry that heavy load with just 2 screws and some plates...

i will post some pics after finishing the job.