Body parts for 1978 88 Royale

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:38 PM
RpR

Body parts for 1978 88 Royale

Gents, first post, for a bad reason.

Some snot faced little boy on his phone just rammed into the right rear of my formerly unblemished Delta 88 with 35,000 miles, earlier today.
Fifteen years ago, finding parts of old cars seemed to be a lot easier.
I repaired fully a 1968 Fury III that some dork did the same thing to in the right front with little trouble, but finding the trunk lid, rr fender, bumper assembly etc., I am sure it need more, isn't as easy as finding parts for that old Plymouth.

Any junk yards you gents search regularly.
Sorry for such sad first post, but que sera, sera.
Bob

Last edited by RpR; May 23rd, 2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site Bob. Sorry for the unfortunate accident and wish you luck in finding the necessary parts. I agree as cars get older parts get more scarce. A lot of these cars were crushed. Post a list in the parts wanted classifieds, one of the members might be able to help you out. Make sure to include your location.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:41 PM
Olds Fever

Hi Bob, welcome to the group... Sorry to hear of your incident... A list of parts needed and a location would be helpful as previously suggested...
Old May 24th, 2017, 05:23 AM

Bummer.
Old May 24th, 2017, 10:55 AM
RpR

I am in Sauk Rapids, Mn, across the Mississippi River from St. Cloud.
Up here, as most places the cars from the seventies in junk yards are rare.

Last year I needed a RR tail-light bucket for 1984 Delta 88, and by the grace of God, found one in junked car same year at Cotton Pickers Junkyard only a few miles from me.
Car was not even in bad shape but when I went back for the gas tank, car was gone.
My 1978 replaced the 1984.
Old August 16th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Olds Collector

Hi Bob: Those are such nice cars. Yours at 35K is likely a nice car with a long way to go. I hope you know about the plastic toothed cam timing gear that needs to be replaced with a steel chain. Mine broke at 150K miles, but that was 35 years ago. Your gear has 40 years on it. We had a tan and cream colored 78 Royal Brougham 4 door way loaded from about 10K miles and one year old. That was such a nice car and started a long chain of full size Olds in my family. First question about your car, 2 door or 4 door? Then how about a detailed list of parts? Do you need a complete quarter panel? Do you know how much work it is to cut off a 1/4 panel? I was recommended on this site to use Greyhound Package Express some years ago and have now used them with good results for shipping large items. I wish you luck with your project. It will be worth the effort to repair it. Maybe you could post some photos of your car, don't forget the good side and interior as well!! Folks on this site like photos. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles.
Old August 16th, 2017, 04:28 PM
RpR

Originally Posted by vistacruiser1971
Hi Bob: Those are such nice cars. Yours at 35K is likely a nice car with a long way to go. I hope you know about the plastic toothed cam timing gear that needs to be replaced with a steel chain. Mine broke at 150K miles, but that was 35 years ago. Your gear has 40 years on it. We had a tan and cream colored 78 Royal Brougham 4 door way loaded from about 10K miles and one year old. That was such a nice car and started a long chain of full size Olds in my family. First question about your car, 2 door or 4 door? Then how about a detailed list of parts? Do you need a complete quarter panel? Do you know how much work it is to cut off a 1/4 panel? I was recommended on this site to use Greyhound Package Express some years ago and have now used them with good results for shipping large items. I wish you luck with your project. It will be worth the effort to repair it. Maybe you could post some photos of your car, don't forget the good side and interior as well!! Folks on this site like photos. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles.
Thank you for the reply.

My car is a 4 door, I have located all the parts.
The hardest to find was the bumper.
I got the quarter, trunk lid and tail-light from Quality Auto Parts but what started as a simple order turned into a belligerent exchange due to dealing with different people there rather than the one who took the order.
I got the bumper from Larry Camuso on the West Coast.
775 with shipping, he used to use Grey Hound but they moved the depot 40 miles away from him.
Quality Auto Part called me after I ordered it but they wanted 750 plus shipping.
The other parts I ordered from them were shipped free.

I just discovered I erased the e mails with the receipts so I will have to ask for new ones but total cost so far is about two grand plus or minus a couple of hundred.
I went to the body man and asked if I had to get an other parts and he did not think so.

Some thing I do need, not related to kid hitting me is that wide chrome trim on the bottom. I lost the one on the rear of the right front fender and they are extremely hard to find.
Some one bought a hole set on E bay a week before I started looking.
I will take pics if I get my digi camera running but I am still a film person as I have over eight thousand dollars in film cameras.

I am having them use lacquer paint as I do not like the shiny cars nowadays and if I scratch it, it will be easy to fix and not need major paint work.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:53 AM
RpR

I hate to come here only in need but a U.S. Army Tank hauler hooked the left rear tail-light on my car a week ago.
I need a left rear tail-light housing and probably a left rear quarter panel.
Sadly I did not save the part peoples web sights and find parts this time seems even harder though the damage is far, far less.
Any good links would be helpful.
Thanks for any help you might give.
R. Riebe
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:19 AM
Olds Collector

1978 Delta 88 Royal

Hi: Welcome back, but sorry for the reason. Same request as before, please post photos to help our members see what you need. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Old May 31st, 2019, 11:30 AM
RpR

Well , surprisingly, there appears to be a lot , lot more parts for the left rear side of an 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 that there are for the right side.
I found one site where I simply put in my E mail address and have gotten a large number of replies.
Now dealing with the Gov. an Army Tank Hauler clipped me, is another pain in the buttocks.

On one of your other topic threads, there was discussion of springs for 1977-79 Delta 88s and when I get my car fixed again, I will be sending a few questions there.
Thanks for your reply
RpR