Olds Silhouette with Rotting Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Olds Silhouette with Rotting Chrome Wheels

Lets get this forum going with Olds Silhouette Drivers!
I have an 01 I bought new now has over 200k KM (130 K Miles), Canadian car. Still drives nice, it is still comfortable with original springs/shocks. My biggest beef is the chrome plated alloy wheels, had two sets replaced under warranty, due to chrome peeling off in large pieces. On my 3rd set now,which are doing the same, now out of warranty. No winters on these wheels, only summer driving and they continue to disintegrate.

Any one else have this problem? I am surprised there is no tech service bulletin on these. Annoying as it looks like crap and tires only hold air for a week before they need to be topped up.
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Oldsdruid

I've never heard of anything like this, and frankly it sounds dangerous if tires are losing air and you're sure it's not a tire or valve stem problem. That means the wheels are porous, and I'd worry about a total failure.

Orange, I don't know what to tell you. I doubt GM even supports these wheels thru the parts system anymore.
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by flameorange
Lets get this forum going with Olds Silhouette Drivers!
I have an 01 I bought new now has over 200k KM (130 K Miles), Canadian car. Still drives nice, it is still comfortable with original springs/shocks. My biggest beef is the chrome plated alloy wheels, had two sets replaced under warranty, due to chrome peeling off in large pieces. On my 3rd set now,which are doing the same, now out of warranty. No winters on these wheels, only summer driving and they continue to disintegrate.

Any one else have this problem? I am surprised there is no tech service bulletin on these. Annoying as it looks like crap and tires only hold air for a week before they need to be topped up.
Hi Flameorange! I up in the great white north too. A Chrome plated alloy wheel? Sure it's not the alloy wheel with the clear overspray? It does disintegrate over time. On the other hand, I also wouldn't want to be driving around on wheels that look like crap. Kind of makes the car look cheap, right?

3 things I would think about.
1. Is it the wheels that are causing the tires to lose air, or did someone just do a bad installation? I would be extremely leery of driving on tire pressures that could change without notice. Especially if you're doing a lot of highway.
2. How about getting a different wheel for your van? Lots of Olds aluminum wheels at the wreckers in pretty good shape can be had for a song.
3. I use nitrogen in my tires. They run cooler and I almost never have to adjust pressure (once a year if needed). I was told that nitrogen molecules are larger than air, so they don't leak down in summer OR WINTER. It also prevents moisture buildup inside the wheel.

BTW, I love your 72 vert picture. Post some pics of it???
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
3. I use nitrogen in my tires. They run cooler and I almost never have to adjust pressure (once a year if needed). I was told that nitrogen molecules are larger than air, so they don't leak down in summer OR WINTER. It also prevents moisture buildup inside the wheel.
At the risk of taking this off-topic, ya might want to study your chemistry again. First, air isn't a molecule, it's a mixture of gases, with 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and traces of other stuff. Second, nitrogen is atomic number 7, oxygen is atomic number 8. A nitrogen molecule is SMALLER than an oxygen molecule.

The reason that NASCAR teams use dry nitrogen is the "DRY" part. It's the water vapor in air that causes the expansion and thus changes the stagger of race tires with temperature. Of course, what's the first thing the tire gorilla,...er, TECHNICIAN does at CostoMart when installing your tires? He swabs the beads with a water/glycerin mixture. Ya think any of that water gets INSIDE the tire? Even a little far outweighs the amount of water you'll get if you inflate with air.

Sorry for the rant. Soapbox mode off....
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM

I've seen plent of chorme wheels that have peeling overspray. I think they can be damaged by certain chemicals. My buddy had a set of chrome wheels on his 81 Camaro and they looked bad after he used some Armor-All products on them.

The reason that NASCAR teams use dry nitrogen is the "DRY" part.
Nitrogen is also inert. Could that have some sort of benefit?
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Olds Silhouette Rotting Wheels

Thanks for the replies everyone, will try and get some pictures up of the rotten wheels.

Leaks are now from poor surface around rim bead, or around valve stem, as you will see from pics.

For Allen R, they are definately chrome plated alloy wheels, the 16 inch version on a Silhouette Premiere. I will post pictures of the plating just peeling off.

I am going to look for a set of the painted silver (not plated) to replace these. Anyone got any?

thanks

Steve
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I was curious and did some reading. Check it out! Makes me remember college.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen

I guess according to this website Nitrogen would leak out of tires more slowly than air. Still, I wonder what benefit you would get for normal cars? I guess you don't have to check the Nitorgen in the tires very often (almost typed air). Where would you get Nitrogen to put in tires anyways? Airgas suppliers?
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Past Administrator

All you fancy pants college types and your big words............
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Antidisestablishmentarianism!
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM

We have an 03 Silhouette Premiere and its a great vehicle!

Just broke 50000 miles - so she's just broken in. No major complaints. We have the Silver, clear coated alloys and they have some checking or spiderwebbing but no lepracy.

I wanted the chrome ones but cheaped out - maybe I am lucky I didnt spend the bux.

The Oldsmobile Silhouette - the Cadillac of Minivans!

GG
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
At the risk of taking this off-topic, ya might want to study your chemistry again. First, air isn't a molecule, it's a mixture of gases, with 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and traces of other stuff. Second, nitrogen is atomic number 7, oxygen is atomic number 8. A nitrogen molecule is SMALLER than an oxygen molecule.....Sorry for the rant. Soapbox mode off....
Hey, no problem.
Like I said in my reply, it's something i was told (course it was by a tire shop, naturally). As for Chem, I never liked it, and didn't do especially well in it. So, whatever the molecule stuff works out to, I expect you know way more than I do. And last time I checked, it was a free country, so I'm in no way offended that you offered your opinion.

BTW, for what it's worth I do notice that the tire pressures are really constant using nitrogen, no matter what the weather. And I do check them regularly because that's one of the biggest sources of poor mileage and handling by far.

About the wheels, How about if you get the tires taken off, bead blasted to get the rest of the crap off them, and have them quality plated? Might cost some $$$. On the other hand if you bead blast them, lightly sand and paint them, they would probably look good too. There's lots of special wheel paint colors out there that you could use.

I just was at the boneyard the other day and found an almost brand new set of Goodyear ICE RADIALS on a 1998 Olds 88 with alloy rims. Ready for this??? 25 bucks a wheel, complete. Heck I just paid 170 apiece for the same identical ice radial without any rims or balancing last fall. Groan.
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...nitrogen-.html

Yes, I'm a card-carrying cyinic, but:

...And while nitrogen will do no harm, manufacturers say that they don't see the need to use nitrogen, which generally adds $5 or more per tire charge."
Also:

We have seen a study by a major vehicle manufacturer which revealed most air pressure loss in tires does not take place through the sidewall of the tire but is due to tire bead to rim bead seat and flange leakage around the valve stem and valve core areas. I dont think any type of gas used would improve pressure loss in these cases.
And finally:

The Rubber Manufacturers Association has also issued this statement:

Applications such as aircraft, mining, and commercial/heavy use utilize nitrogen to help reduce the risk of internal combustion (fire) if the brake/rim/wheel components overheat. Also, dry nitrogen is used in professional racing to help reduce variation in inflation pressures (caused by moisture) where even small differences in pressure can affect vehicle handling at the extreme limits of performance.

For normal tire service applications, nitrogen inflation is not required. However, nitrogen inflation is permissible as its properties may contribute to minor reductions in inflation pressure loss. Nevertheless, several other sources of pressure leaks, such as punctures, tire/rim interface (bead), valve, valve/rim interface, and the wheel, may negate the benefit of nitrogen.

If the tire inflation pressure is below the pressure specified on the vehicle placard, the tire must be re-inflated – whether with air or nitrogen – to the proper inflation pressure.

RMA warns that depending on nitrogen alone to reduce the requirements for inflation maintenance may, in fact, lead to under inflated operation, which may result in premature tire failure.

“With the right amount of inflation pressure, you will achieve optimum tire performance,” RMA wrote. “This means your tires will wear longer, save fuel and help prevent accidents.”

And above all, the RMA bulletin strongly reminded motorists to check tire pressure at least once a month when tires are cold and to use the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended inflation pressure.

“Whether inflated by air or nitrogen, regular inflation pressure maintenance remains critical and necessary,” RMA wrote. “Use of nitrogen alone is not a replacement for regular inflation pressure maintenance.”

The RMA bulletin notes that nitrogen is an inert (non-flammable) gas – basically, nothing more than dry air with oxygen removed (air contains about 78% nitrogen). Because of its inert properties, nitrogen is often used in highly specialized service applications and/or demanding environments.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...nitrogen-.html

Yes, I'm a card-carrying cyinic, but:

...And while nitrogen will do no harm, manufacturers say that they don't see the need to use nitrogen, which generally adds $5 or more per tire charge."
Actually, when I got the tires installed, there was no extra charge for the nitrogen, in fact it's standard practice at this shop and some others to install Nitrogen instead of air. I guess it depends on where you buy tires. I do know that if I ask the tire store to change from air to nitrogen, they will charge $5.00 / tire to do it. Otherwise, where I live its a no charge feature. And free refills if / when you need them. Joe?? It's okay to carry your cynic card. I'm a member of the Optimist club so it all balances out in the long run. As long as my tires aren't flat, I don't really care what is used because I check them regularly. And the compressors just inside the garage.

Anyway, back to the Olds Silhouette wheels..... how ya makin out with them?
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Joe?? It's okay to carry your cynic card.
Well, since I'm an equal-opportunity cynic, I should also point out that I'm equally skeptical when the Rubber Manufacturers of America say you don't need nitrogen, since their purpose in life is to sell more tires...
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I've seen plent of chorme wheels that have peeling overspray. I think they can be damaged by certain chemicals. My buddy had a set of chrome wheels on his 81 Camaro and they looked bad after he used some Armor-All products on them

Yeah, don't use "Greased Lightning" on polished aluminium. Eats the shiny finish off in seconds and turns it a light yellowish color.
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Olds Silhouette with Rotting Wheels

Originally Posted by CutlassSalon
Yeah, don't use "Greased Lightning" on polished aluminium. Eats the shiny finish off in seconds and turns it a light yellowish color.
Thanks for the tip CutlassSalon, I didn't use anything on my wheels at all, except for turtlewax carwash soap a few times.

When I got my second set of wheels under warranty, after 3 months they were starting to go, got them in March and by June they were showing bubbles. Took em back and dealer said I was past original 3 yr warranty now, and would not replace.

I still owe pictures and will post some.
Old October 5th, 2008, 07:24 PM

Silhouette wheels

We have an 04, and ours has brushed aluminum wheels, so we have not had a problem, other than they do seem to attract the brake dust. Perhaps you can find something to replace them? Other Silhouette rims, or maybe even something from a Pontiac Montana or Chevy Venture? Unless you really love the wheels, I'd look for something else.
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:41 AM

I have heard of this before only thing you can do is replace them. I have a friend that a import that had same problem he had to buy new wheels. I go to the junk yard a lot I have seen a lot of cars with bad wheels just the way you explained. Sorry replacing them is the only fix and I replace them with different wheels.
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM
GM Enthusiast

I've seen plent of chorme wheels that have peeling overspray. I think they can be damaged by certain chemicals. My buddy had a set of chrome wheels on his 81 Camaro and they looked bad after he used some Armor-All products on them.
I agree, I have seen aluminum rims discolor and corrode from people spraying tire protectant on the tires and getting overspray on the rims. I would get another set of rims and either get one of those plastic covers you can put over the rim to spray protectant on the tires or use the wipe on tire protectant. Hope that helps.
Old December 19th, 2009, 06:39 AM

My 97 caddy is beginning to have corrosion issues at the bead sealing area. One tire had to be gooped with rubber cement to keep if from leaking. The guy at the tire place said many of the high end cars with AL wheels show this problem over time, Benz being the most common. I see the benefit of steel now!