350 olds to 455

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2008, 10:46 AM

350 olds to 455

ok so im about to start the rebuilt on my 350 old this weekend.. it already has headman headers, edelborck intake manifold.. this guy is selling me a 455 for $400/... what u guys think.. go ahead and rebuilt the 350 or get the 455.. the 455 is not rebuilt yet...
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Depends on your budget, and what you would like to get out of it performance wise. If you just want to get a stock rebuild, I'd use the 455 because it will have more torque on the street.

If you have a lofty horsepower goal, plan on the 455 costing an extra $1000
the 455 parts are more expensive
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:33 PM

if i get the 455.. do i hve to get a bigger tranny..??? i dont have alot of money.... because i want to give my car a good paint and interior work...
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Your trans should hold up fine. How much horsepower are you trying for? Or do you just plan on a stock rebuild?
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM

im having kind of doubts.. the mechanic thats gonna work on my car.. he installed my headers, intake manifold and carb.. and eveyrhting has worked fine... but he has only worked with chevy engines... he told me this.. he was trying to convince me to put a chevy 350 on it.. but i dont want too... J chicago^^ what u think... i am supposed to take my car this sat?? should i just look for another mechanic?? or u think it shouldnt be that hard... i know he has experience with chevy engines.. alot.. he has a nova and a camaro with engines he has built...
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM

PLEASE DO NOT PUT A CHEVY IN, I think thats one of the reasons why companies dont offer as much parts because guys say " just put a chevy in it ". Personally if your going more for show with the car then stick with the 350 but if your going for power then go with the 455. As far as your mechanic goes if you dont trust him dont let him tough your stuff, but olds does has its diffrences from chevy, I would find someone who knows more about olds but thats just me. Also Im loving that paint scheme in that pic.
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:02 PM

Sure, you could put a Chevy in it; whether you love 'em or hate 'em, the Chevy small block is a great "bang for your buck" engine. However, you're going to have to change motor mounts, frame mounts and transmission (different bellhousing). That'll pretty much negate the relative inexpensiveness of the SBC. And God only knows what header clearance problems you might run into. You could probably just order SBC headers designed for a Chevelle, but even then I wouldn't guarantee an easy fit (the different A bodies are similar, but not identical).
As for the 350 or 455, I'll echo the earlier response; it depends completely on what your intentions are. If you want to embarass the local bigshot and his 383-stroker Camaro, you'll probably need the 455. If you just want a good, reliable crusier that can whip the punk and his Honda Accord with the four-inch fart cannon, a moderate 350 SBO should do it.

- GoldOlds
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:35 AM

I suggest you stick with the 350 olds for now, maybe buy the 455 in case you want more power in a few years you can rebuild the motor and take your time doing it .I don't like the idea of switching to chevy power.
Old January 30th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by GoldOlds
...(the different A bodies are similar, but not identical)...

- GoldOlds
While I'd never recommend installing a Chebby, the above statement is NOT correct. All 68-72 A-body frames are identical and interchangeable. For example, a 2dt HT frame is the same on a Chevelle, GTO, Cutlass, and Skylark. All have a 112" wheelbase and open channel rails. While the Monte Carlo and Grand Prix used a unique 115" wheelbase (Cutlass Supremes kept the 112" wheelbase), headers for the corresponding car (Chevelle and GTO) still fit.

Similarly, all 68-72 A-body convertibles use the same 112" boxed frame, all 4drs and wagons (except Vista Cruiser and Sport Wagon) use the same 116" wheelbase frame, and the latter two used a unique boxed 121" wheelbase frame.
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM

it just got even better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i called him and he told me he gives me 2 455 engines for 500 bucks.. he said One engine was rebuilt by a machine shop, and ran in a jet boat for less than an hour and needs the crank turned everything is new, it's bored .060 the other engine is a block and heads no crank.

both for 500.... im going to to see them today and take my friend just to make sure is true.. does it matter what car they came from.... because i forgot to ask him ..
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'd take the motors, thank him, and then find another mechanic.
People tend to do a crappier job on things they do not appreciate.

Make sure you know the block numbers of each one, and what letter heads they have, so you don't get taken.
10 minutes of homework on this website could save you a bunch of money. Especially if he tries to sell you 2 260 motors instead of 2 455s

To the untrained eye, all Olds motors look identical from the 260 all the way up to the 455.

Please let us all know what your goal is with this motor build.
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by 72CUTTY
.. does it matter what car they came from.... because i forgot to ask him ..
Only with bracket setups and exhaust manifolds
The motors in the Oldsmobile Toronados have different brackets and manis than the rest of the Oldsmobile motors, so use the ones from your motor instead of the mystery ones.
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:44 PM

^^^^ ok at first i wanted to do the candy paint, with the 26 inch rims.. i already had this guy that would sell me a 9 inch lift kit for a cutlass so i can be able to fit 26's... bu tthne after i joined this forum.. im kind of changing my mind... my friend has a nova with a 383 stroker .. we hopped in it on the weekend... and it was amazing... super fast.... so know... im kinna thinking.. of putting the 455 with a nice red with white stripes paint job and just keeping it muscle... no lift kit no big rims... i have some 22s in my house laying around that fit the cutlass... but right now i just want HorsePower!!!! i havent seen a decent 69-72 cutlass out here in LA...
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:16 AM

........ and needs the crank turned ........
Because it was not done right during the that rebuild. Have your guy check to see what it will take to clean it up, and report back.

........ everything is new, it's bored .060 ........
Everything needs to be checked, before it is reassembled. Everything.

the other engine is a block and heads no crank ........
That means, it is not an engine. It is a block, and 2 heads.

........ does it matter what car they came from ........
No. It only matters, that they are 455s.

Norm
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:06 AM
Past Administrator

Interesting thread. First I want to welcome you to our site. Second it looks like you are leaning away from the look that is described in the photo in your posts. Since you have more time than money (like most of us), my 2 cents are follow Norm's recommendation, get the 455s if they are good, and build yourself a fast "traditional" Cutlass.
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM

im kinna thinking.. of putting the 455 with a nice red with white stripes paint job and just keeping it muscle... no lift kit no big rims... i have some 22s in my house laying around that fit the cutlass... but right now i just want HorsePower!!!!
If I may throw in my 2 cents, I'm quite fond of the green/white paint scheme you've already got!
If you wanna keep up with your friend's 383 Nova, the 455 will obviously be the easier way to do it. Gobs of torque.

- GoldOlds
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Senior Moment

just keeping it muscle... no lift kit no big rims...
Can I hear an AMEN!!!!
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:33 AM

amen