Fuel pump to Carburetor replacement:

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2014, 10:37 AM

Fuel pump to Carburetor replacement:

I am trying to find a replacement fuel line (metal) from the Fuel pump to stock Rochester 4BBL for a stock 1971 CS Rocket 350.

My carburetor is original and is using a stock gasket from Felpro, approximately ¼ inch thick.
The fuel pump is not original; however it does look similar to an original fuel pump.
My car has factory AC.

I have ordered two lines from two different companies. Neither line fit.
The first line from Company-A, had all of the correct bends, it’s just an inch or two too long.
It lines up perfectly with the carburetor, it just extends and inch or more too low to attach to the fuel pump.

The second line from Summit Racing, had a similar Length, however the existing bends in the line did not even come close.
Summit racing politely took back the wrong line and told me they do not have one for my car.

Questions:
I have heard that the 350 and 455 have different Block heights.
Do these engines required different metal fuel lines for the Fuel pump to 4bbl Carburetor connection?

Some parts sites indicate there is a different pump, depending on if you have AC?

I will attached a picture of my existing fuel pump.
Is this the correct fuel pump?
Yes, I did reinstall the clamp for the fuel hose.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC07250FuelPump.jpg (57.7 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by Miles71; March 31st, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Miles71
Questions:
I have heard that the 350 and 455 have different Block heights.
Do these engines required different metal fuel lines for the Fuel pump to 4bbl Carburetor connection?
Yes, the BBO has a taller deck to accommodate the longer stroke. The resulting difference in carb location is, oh, about exactly the extra length of your first line (meaning, that was a big block line you were trying to install).

Some parts sites indicate there is a different pump, depending on if you have AC?
The difference is that A/C cars (as well as most high-perf models) got pumps with fuel return, which would be a second rubber line from the frame.
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK, here's potential fodder for the "bad parts" sticky thread. Right Stuff Detailing only lists one fuel line for all 1970-72 Cutlii with 4bbl, which is obviously incorrect. Inline actually lists the 350 motors as different part numbers from the BBOs, so that's a good sign.

http://inlinetube.com/Preformed%20Li...es/OCC6802.htm
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The difference is that A/C cars (as well as most high-perf models) got pumps with fuel return, which would be a second rubber line from the frame.
Hi Joe:
Thank you for the information.
After hearing about the Taller block I has assumed I was sent a 455 Fuel line.
Some companies will list the same part number fuel line for both engines 350/455.

OPGI, does not indicate the actual engine sizes. Which in this case means 455.

Part Type: (R) = Authentic reproduction of the original GM product BB = Big-block engine

I think my car has always been a Single feed Fuel pump, no Return fuel line.
My car was made in Framingham MA and does have AC.
I will assume the threaded port is in the same location as the Return and Non-Return fuel pumps.

Last edited by Miles71; March 31st, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:08 PM
major noob

If line a is too long could you order a carb spacer to heighten the carb therefore taking up the slack?
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:47 PM

Good timing since I started to look at mine last weekend, also on a 350. I bought a hard line from Inline Tube that looks like it may the right height but was going to extend about an inch or so too far past the pump. Maybe it's designed to use a short filter housing on the carb?

If yours extends too far down but otherwise lines up, you could cut it and re-install the flare fitting. Most parts stores have loaner flaring tools.

I originally tried bending my own but could not make the sharp 90 to miss the thermostat housing without kinking. Running a braided stainless line for now.
Old March 31st, 2014, 12:57 PM

I was hoping to not buy $40 worth of extra tools that I will only use once to make a custom fit fuel line fit correctly in the first place.
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:21 PM

I was hoping to not buy $40 worth of extra tools that I will only use once to make a custom fit fuel line fit correctly in the first place.
Beats buying 6 different $20 pre-formed lines only to find that none of them are bent right.....

Seriously, between the manufacturer's quality and both the manufacturer's and retailer's labeling and stock control, it's almost impossible to get a pump-to-carb line which fits. The only difference seems to be which retailers will stand behind their product and give you a refund.
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:39 PM

Got a generic 3/8 fuel line for ~$7 at a parts store and they lent me a bender and flaring tool. Had a tubing cutter at home but they are cheap. BUT their cruddy bender would not make the tight bend between carb and thermostat housing without kinking. So I ordered the Inline Tube "custom" line and now in a similar position as you. If you can't return the one that's too long, borrow the parts to cut it down.
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:21 AM

It has been a slow week at work.

I am in the process of contacting a few vendors to see if I can a get a valid part number for the 350 4bbl fuel pump to Carburetor line.
As time permits ill keep pinging other companies. Someone must have a 350 version.

I received a call from a nice guy “Paul” at OPGI, regarding an order mix-up with a Neutral Safety Switch. I was surprised I actually got a call back and a new Safety Switch enroot.
While I had him on the phone I asked him to check on the 350 engine fuel line. I was quickly given the Big-Block part number CT-20150.

I explained to Paul the CT-20150 is listed as a Big-Block part (455 cid) and not a Small-Block part (350 cid)

Two companies down, 50+ to go.
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Two companies down, 50+ to go.
Inline and Fusick both list the 350 4bbl line as a separate part number from the BBO line.
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:27 AM

I bought the Inline Tube fuel line for a 350 4bbl but have not installed it yet. Looks to be the right height but a little long, as if the carb should have a short filter housing instead of the long one. Then again I have an Ebrock 3711 intake but thought it was close enough to stock dimensions. Will try to work on it soon and let everyone know if it fits. Really don't like the braided soft line on it now so may try bending my own again, even if the shape ends up a bit different from original.
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Reviving a real old thread, but finally got around to installing the InLine Tube rigid fuel line on my 350. Like many aftermarket parts, it took a little tweaking to get it in but not too bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fuel line.JPG (120.9 KB, 46 views)