Will a rebuilt engine make self-repair difficult?

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM

Will a rebuilt engine make self-repair difficult?

I had been trying to find out what kind of engine I had in my '75 Cutlass Supreme, and y'all told me it was a small block chevy. I got in contact with the car's previous owner, and he confirmed that it's a small block chevy and told me that it was rebuilt.

Is there some manual I can use to guide me through repairs? Or is this going to be impossible because it was rebuilt?

I really have no idea what I am doing but am *very* eager to learn.

I know that I need to replace the battery cables before I do anything else and am not at all intimidated by the job itself, but I do not even know if the type of engine matters for a job like this..

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated - I want to start as soon as possible
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Administrator

On most simple repairs an sbc 350 is a sbc 350!!! The tune-up specs are basically the same, based on what ignition system you have, and all the procedures are basically the same. Most of the accessories are the same, if you need an alternator, power steering pump, belts, carb, distributor, etc...take it off bring it to the autoparts store and they will match it up for you. BTW same goes for battery cables! It's not that complicated. If you want to get technical and find out what motor is in there, there is a serial number stamped on the block on the right side behind the alternator or a/c compressor if you have one.

Don't over complicate it!! Good luck!
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
On most simple repairs an sbc 350 is a sbc 350!!! The tune-up specs are basically the same, based on what ignition system you have, and all the procedures are basically the same. Most of the accessories are the same, if you need an alternator, power steering pump, belts, carb, distributor, etc...take it off bring it to the autoparts store and they will match it up for you. BTW same goes for battery cables! It's not that complicated. If you want to get technical and find out what motor is in there, there is a serial number stamped on the block on the right side behind the alternator or a/c compressor if you have one.

Don't over complicate it!! Good luck!
Thanks! It hit me after I posted that I can just remove the parts and take them to the store with me to find out what I need.

My original plan had been to buy a Haynes manual for a '75 Cutlass Supreme, but I was told a Chassis manual is better. Do you happen to know what manual, if any, I could buy to use a guide for repairs? Thanks again!
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Administrator

The haynes manual will work if you know the approximate year of the engine, in conjunction with the chasis manual will help you dramatically. You can look for a chiltons or a motors manual for the year of your car also.
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM

I would always go with a factory chassis manual. Of course Haynes is not too bad if thats all you can find. Chiltons were never very good.
Was the SBC available in that car that year?
Of course if your engine is not original, then a manual may not help much for the engine. If you find out what your engine was available in or came out of, you could get the manual for that car and have engine data!
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The problem, as I said in an answer to you in a different thread, is not in doing simple procedures, like changing the alternator, but in making tune-up adjustments and determining the best way to set up the engine. Since this is a rebuilt engine, you have no idea of what most of the basic parameters are, such as: displacement, compression ratio, camshaft, etc., and so have no starting point for making adjustments or knowing when they are right.

Just do the best you can with it, and if you don't like the way it works, keep an eye out for a replacement. Then, you can tear this one down and see whether what's inside merits putting it back together.

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The haynes manual will work if you know the approximate year of the engine, in conjunction with the chasis manual will help you dramatically. You can look for a chiltons or a motors manual for the year of your car also.
Sorry, I meant to say look for a haynes, chiltons, or motors, manual for the year of the engine. The chasis manual would be for the year and model of your car!
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:12 AM

You can find all kinds of books for small block Chevys. If you want to know what year your engine is locate the casting number. Then go to this site http://www.nastyz28.com/sbcmenu.php find info what the size of the engine and get idea of the year. I don't think the year is going to matter to much with all the after market parts it has bolted on it. I can tell you it is a 69-83 engine more likely a late 70's to early 80's. In 84 they moved the dippstick to the pass. side of the engine. All years before it was on the driver side and in 86 they engine alot valve covers are different. Also in 86 they engine went from being internally balanced to externally balanced.

I hope this helps you.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; August 19th, 2011 at 04:50 AM.