Shock/Spring Setup

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2013, 07:36 PM

Shock/Spring Setup

Have Fiiinnnaaaalllly begun work on my car. It is a 68 cutlass convertible with a 455 and TH400. Non A/C. In regards to suspension, since the car would have originally come with a 350, I'm not sure what sort of shock and spring setup I should run to obtain original ride height. Any ideas?

Additionally, I didn't realize until we took the body off the frame that it has air shocks in the rear. I noticed in the service manual where it mentions adjustable shocks but I didn't see any specific reference to "air" shocks. Could this have been a factory installation? If so, how can I tell? Any advantages/disadvantages to air shocks?

Thanks in advance!!
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sklbndt
Additionally, I didn't realize until we took the body off the frame that it has air shocks in the rear. I noticed in the service manual where it mentions adjustable shocks but I didn't see any specific reference to "air" shocks. Could this have been a factory installation? If so, how can I tell? Any advantages/disadvantages to air shocks?

Thanks in advance!!
Air shocks were a factory option but also a popular aftermarket addition at the time. Even the factory offered a Delco aftermarket air shock kit. The advantage of air shocks is that you can run your N50-15 tires and have them stick waaaaay out from the fenderwells without rubbing. The disadvantage is the bulls eye painted on your gas tank in a rear end collision.

Seriously, air shocks are only needed if you carry heavy loads or tow a trailer with significant tongue weight. Otherwise, I wouldn't run them. Frankly, if you do need suspension adjustability, use air bags that go inside the rear springs. The shock mount points really aren't designed for the extra load of air shocks. I've cracked the frame on a Cutlass at the shock mount by using air shocks on a car that I was towing with.
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Administrator

I'm with Joe, I hate airshocks. They leak, and the overall ride just plain sux. The stance and your ride charactoristics will dictate your spring and shock setup. What are you after?
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Seriously, air shocks are only needed if you carry heavy loads or tow a trailer with significant tongue weight. Otherwise, I wouldn't run them. Frankly, if you do need suspension adjustability, use air bags that go inside the rear springs. The shock mount points really aren't designed for the extra load of air shocks. I've cracked the frame on a Cutlass at the shock mount by using air shocks on a car that I was towing with.
I kinda figured the load/hauling thing was what they would be all about. Won't be an issue with me as I have no intention of any of that so I'm gonna change them out for standard style shocks.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The stance and your ride charactoristics will dictate your spring and shock setup. What are you after?
Am looking to obtain original ride height along with the best possible feeling ride and handling.