1966 Trunk paint

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2024, 07:08 AM

1966 Trunk paint

Hello all,

I've looked around quite a bit and haven't come across what color Olds used for paint in the 1966 Toronado trunk. Was it just body color? Or was it different, using some kind of splatter stuff like many other used?

I feel like this information is right in the material somewhere and I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks!

Last edited by ourkid2000; February 23rd, 2024 at 11:55 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2024, 09:20 AM

Wasn't it just body color with a permanent mat on the floor and the colored cardboard panels on the sides? After I scraped off the remainder of my mat, I decided I would just spatter paint the interior of the trunk - not that I've done it yet... I'm just as curious as you as to how it should be done in the proper manner, however. I have body color on the center trunk latch hump. but the rest of my trunk is ruined by the original mat, unfortunately. No way to tell how far the body color went.
Old February 23rd, 2024, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
Wasn't it just body color with a permanent mat on the floor and the colored cardboard panels on the sides? After I scraped off the remainder of my mat, I decided I would just spatter paint the interior of the trunk - not that I've done it yet... I'm just as curious as you as to how it should be done in the proper manner, however. I have body color on the center trunk latch hump. but the rest of my trunk is ruined by the original mat, unfortunately. No way to tell how far the body color went.
Great question but I have no idea. My car was re-painted in the late 70's to a similar, but not exactly correct, color and I really can't tell what is what at this point. I have awful color vision as well so I'm a bit handicapped by that. To my eye it seems that my trunk was painted body color, but again I do not know if it's original or that late 70's job.
Old February 24th, 2024, 01:28 PM

Except for some overspray in isolated areas, the only body color would be the underside of the trunk lid and the area of the trunk lock. Otherwise, the insides of the trunk were "painted" with a rough black paint, sort of similar to undercoating. On top of that, the floor had a 3/16" thick tar-like mat, and on top of that was a rubber foam-backed fabric that was topped with a 3-color (black, brown, and tan/beige) layer of woven fabric. Additional pieces of the same foam/woven fabric covered the taillights and gas tank filler hump (1 piece), the insides of the rear fenders, and the wheel humps and associated internal sheet metal areas.
Definitely no splatter paint Is the original fqabric still available, I don't know. Good luck with a correct restoration.
Old February 24th, 2024, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by torotoyguy
Except for some overspray in isolated areas, the only body color would be the underside of the trunk lid and the area of the trunk lock. Otherwise, the insides of the trunk were "painted" with a rough black paint, sort of similar to undercoating. On top of that, the floor had a 3/16" thick tar-like mat, and on top of that was a rubber foam-backed fabric that was topped with a 3-color (black, brown, and tan/beige) layer of woven fabric. Additional pieces of the same foam/woven fabric covered the taillights and gas tank filler hump (1 piece), the insides of the rear fenders, and the wheel humps and associated internal sheet metal areas.
Definitely no splatter paint Is the original fqabric still available, I don't know. Good luck with a correct restoration.
Wow, thanks so much for the details! That's super helpful. How did you know about all this?

That beige color trunk fabric seems like a horrible idea. Always looks terribly stained and scruffy.

Last edited by ourkid2000; February 24th, 2024 at 02:06 PM.
Old February 24th, 2024, 04:22 PM

I believe 65 was the last year for the body color painted trunk?
At least for the F85
Old February 24th, 2024, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rallye469
I believe 65 was the last year for the body color painted trunk?
At least for the F85
66 was the last year for body color painted trunk compartments. 67 was the first year for spatter painted trunks. 66 was also the last year for 442's.
Old February 25th, 2024, 08:30 AM

My info is based on ownership of two '66 Toros, one bought in 1968 and the other in late '70s, both in excellent condition including original trunks. Also, I helped restore a trunk for another OCA member along the way, and then did my later Toro 10 years ago - in both cases I was fortunate to be able to use original fabric.
Old February 25th, 2024, 08:35 AM

My info is based on ownership of two '66 Toros, one bought in 1968 and the other in late '70s, both in excellent condition including original trunks. Also, I helped restore a trunk for another OCA member along the way, and then did my later Toro 10 years ago - in both cases I was fortunate to be able to use original fabric.
I'm sorry, didn't see the Toro reference. I apologize,carry on.
Old February 25th, 2024, 11:34 AM

Here is the inside of my 68 Toro trunk. I re-painted the trunk jam, panel directly under the hinges, and latch area. The rest of the trunk was still the original k-code ocean turquoise metallic lacquer. The "red/ orange" color that you can see sprayed everywhere is the original fabric glue that was holding on the original carpet. You can see a sharp line where the glue stops at the bottom of the inner quarters. There was a cardboard panel that fit between the trunk floor and the quarter on each side that extended the flat trunk floor to the quarter panel. I have no idea if 66 was the same as 68 or not.

Old February 25th, 2024, 12:04 PM

Wow that sounds like info that you can take to the bank! Thanks so much for that.
Old February 25th, 2024, 12:25 PM

I guess there are some similarities of my '66 to the '68, but some details have gone missiing over the years. I just double-checked my trunk, and there's more lightly painted body color than I remembered, but it's definitely on the weak side after you go beyond the jambs - the inside of the quarter panels looks more like primer. The taillight panel has body color, but the actual taillight housings are not painted which makes sense as would have been assembled after painting.
In addition to the folded cardboard fillers in the recesses of the quarter panels, there also is a wrap-around cardboard piece over the lock area.
Old February 27th, 2024, 09:13 AM

You got me thinking that my next cleaning project should be the trunk. When I got the car it looked like a hoarder’s treasure, and the 4-color 70’s **** carpet was accentuating the collection. Today I opened it up for a wire wheel session and as the tar backing of the original liner came up, there was the original body color underneath (Sauterne), up and over the wheel wells and to the back seat. As noted before, there is a coating of orange spatter glue and I still had some remnants of the fabric liner attached here and there. I’m hitting the rust with some phosphoric acid and then I’ll prime later to stop the surface rust from getting worse. Whenever I repaint the car, I’ll shoot the trunk interior as well.