66 toro carb dashpot

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2023, 11:46 AM

66 toro carb dashpot

I see pics of a dashpot acting on the throttle lever on some cars. Did all cars have it or just a/c equipped and what exactly is its function? Are they avail new? Thnks
Old November 27th, 2023, 11:52 AM

Mounting bracket on this.
Old November 27th, 2023, 12:46 PM

Dashpot/check assembly used on all 66 and 67 Toros, except those with A.I.R. Based on how it works, it would appear its function is to "soften" the reduction in engine speed when taking your foot off the accelerator pedal.
I note that you do not have original Q-jet carb, and it appears your linkage would not accommodate this part - if you're not having any operational issues with your set-up, I guess you're okay.
Old November 27th, 2023, 02:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Given the Holley, what the factory did with the Qjet is kind of irrelevant.
Old November 27th, 2023, 02:28 PM

I found a great explanation of the dashpot in the Haynes Quadrajet manual of all places:

"Anti-Stall Dashpot:

Let's say your vehicle has an automatic transmission and you accelerate away from a light by stomping authoritatively on the throttle, then suddenly change your mind as you realize that you're on a collision course with an 18-wheeler which also wants to occupy the same intersection at the same time as you. You have no choice but to lift your foot off the accelerator pedal and stomp on the brakes. And your engine, of course, dies - unless you have an anti-stall dashpot fitted to your carburetor. On a vehicle with a manual transmission, the situation would never occur, because you'd quickly de-clutch and the engine would simply rev up a little. But an automatic doesn't disengage when you lift your foot off the gas; it immediately pulls the engine down to a normal idle. This kills the engine because a big glob of air/fuel mixture is still on the way to the cylinders. In effect, the combustion chambers are flooded by this mixture. The anti-stall dashpot solves this problem by letting the engine return to its normal idle slowly, giving the combustion chambers time to burn off the extra-rich mix."

From what I understand, the actual dashpot for the Toronado is very difficult to find. I'm sure something can be rigged up that would work though.
Old November 27th, 2023, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Given the Holley, what the factory did with the Qjet is kind of irrelevant.
thanks… is the dashpot available new to best of your knowledge? The holly is going in the scrap bin. have a correct qjet for it. Engine is at my shop getting a rebuild this winter
Old November 27th, 2023, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
I found a great explanation of the dashpot in the Haynes Quadrajet manual of all places:

"Anti-Stall Dashpot:

Let's say your vehicle has an automatic transmission and you accelerate away from a light by stomping authoritatively on the throttle, then suddenly change your mind as you realize that you're on a collision course with an 18-wheeler which also wants to occupy the same intersection at the same time as you. You have no choice but to lift your foot off the accelerator pedal and stomp on the brakes. And your engine, of course, dies - unless you have an anti-stall dashpot fitted to your carburetor. On a vehicle with a manual transmission, the situation would never occur, because you'd quickly de-clutch and the engine would simply rev up a little. But an automatic doesn't disengage when you lift your foot off the gas; it immediately pulls the engine down to a normal idle. This kills the engine because a big glob of air/fuel mixture is still on the way to the cylinders. In effect, the combustion chambers are flooded by this mixture. The anti-stall dashpot solves this problem by letting the engine return to its normal idle slowly, giving the combustion chambers time to burn off the extra-rich mix."

From what I understand, the actual dashpot for the Toronado is very difficult to find. I'm sure something can be rigged up that would work though.
thanks
for that explanation !
Old November 27th, 2023, 07:46 PM

392902 - obsolete since the early 1980's if I recall correctly. Used only on '66 & '67 Toronado.