66 toro freeze plug

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2023, 03:32 PM

Arrow 66 toro freeze plug

One of my freeze plugs is oozing enough to leave a couple drips on the floor after a hot shutdown, and obviously i'm losing coolant during the whole drive. Not a huge amount but the level change in rad is noticeable.

It's the one above the starter, so (relatively) easy to access.

Where do I get a freeze plug from?

Last edited by mike 66 toro; December 13th, 2023 at 08:03 PM.
Old December 14th, 2023, 07:51 AM

Looks like rockauto has sets of plugs. This is new to me as I have not done expansion plugs before, so any insights are welcomed!
Old December 14th, 2023, 09:23 AM

You are so lucky your leaking plug is on the right side of the engine - on the left side, the transmission and "differential" make replacement difficult if not impossible.
Good luck/
Old December 14th, 2023, 10:08 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Remove the old plug with a slide hammer and or seal removal tool. Do not gouge the block surface.
Clean the block down to bare metal. Clean the block bore & F Plug with brake cleaner. Coat the block and plug with an anaerobic sealer. Start the new F plug with a small ball peen around the edges. Dont hit the middle of the plug.. Get it started straight. Then use a seal installer with the same OD as the F Plug. A seasoned wrench can get them in without the install tool. Its imperative that you do not damage the block with any of these tools.
Squarely tap it in until level or just beyond level with the surface of the block. Let the sealer set up a bit before adding coolant(even though it's anaerobic. I recommend Permatex). YouTube is your friend here for good visual on installation.

Flush the system while the plugs out, (Radiator, Heater Core & Block).
Feed the "flush water" with a hose from above(T-Stat hole) and into the F.Plug hole somewhat aggressively until it runs clear. Disconnect the heater core hoses and flush it separately/gently with low-pressure water, alternating between inlet/outlet hoses.

Blow out the block & core with low-pressure compressed air or a shop vac to expel as much tap water as possible.

Refill the system with premixed 50/50 coolant(never use tap water). Add a small bottle of pump lubricant.

MAW inspect/replace all other hoses & T-Stat (use a 190° HD Stant T-Stat).
Inspect the Rad cap and the other F Plugs. If one is thin the rest arent far behind.

Coolant should be checked for acidity every few years. A flush should be part of regular routine maintenance.

Tools:
(disclaimer...Pics are for example only. Anyone who knows me knows I don't promote the House of china chineasium tool store AKA harborjunk. USA tools all the way in my house)

Seal installer kit:

Seal remover:

Slide hammer kit

Last edited by droldsmorland; December 14th, 2023 at 10:10 AM.