'67 Toronado radio options

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2023, 07:04 AM

'67 Toronado radio options

I'm hoping to complete a purchase of a '67 next week, and it is missing the original radio. I'd like to replace it with a factory piece, but I have questions. The car could have come with the U58 AM/FM stereo, or the U59 AM/FM signal seeking Wonderbar. I don't care to install a basic AM radio. The option list descriptions may tell all, but I'd like to confirm - the AM/FM stereo radio does not have the Wonderbar seek feature, and the Wonderbar radio is only offered in mono? Thanks for any additional info
Old October 18th, 2023, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
I'm hoping to complete a purchase of a '67 next week, and it is missing the original radio. I'd like to replace it with a factory piece, but I have questions. The car could have come with the U58 AM/FM stereo, or the U59 AM/FM signal seeking Wonderbar. I don't care to install a basic AM radio. The option list descriptions may tell all, but I'd like to confirm - the AM/FM stereo radio does not have the Wonderbar seek feature, and the Wonderbar radio is only offered in mono? Thanks for any additional info
I can't confirm your questions 100% but I have a AM/FM radio in my 66' and it does have the Wonderbar seek and it is also mono. Not sure if any of that changed for 67' (I doubt it). *Edit, sorry I misread your question. I didn't know there was a Stereo option, so I'm not sure of the answer. I will see what I can find out though.
Old October 18th, 2023, 08:24 AM

Thanks for that info I'm getting a Chassis Manual in the mail today, and maybe that will have some of the answers. I'm guessing that the stereo radio had the separate multiplex unit as well, since that was the norm until '71. I'm also wondering if the '68 through '70 radios were physically the same size and fitment such that I would have a better chance of finding a stereo radio to install. **** variations are easy to change out. Seems like the dash assembly is the same through those years.
Old October 18th, 2023, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=BSiegPaint;I'd like to confirm - the AM/FM stereo radio does not have the Wonderbar seek feature, and the Wonderbar radio is only offered in mono? Thanks for any additional info [/QUOTE]

Correct on both counts. And I can tell you from experience that the fader control between the Wonderbar and the stereo are different.

When I added a stereo to my '67, it came without a fader ****. I had to use a bass/treble **** in place of the front/rear ****. The Wonderbar fader control (which was optional) has three prongs on the back (requires removal of a shunt wire) and the **** is part of the fader. The fader control slides over the tuner shaft.

The stereo fader uses a toothed **** on the tuner shaft, like the bass/treble ****. Also, the stereo is a two piece radio - the multiplex unit is connected to the radio via a cable.
Old October 18th, 2023, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan
Correct on both counts. And I can tell you from experience that the fader control between the Wonderbar and the stereo are different.

When I added a stereo to my '67, it came without a fader ****. I had to use a bass/treble **** in place of the front/rear ****. The Wonderbar fader control (which was optional) has three prongs on the back (requires removal of a shunt wire) and the **** is part of the fader. The fader control slides over the tuner shaft.

The stereo fader uses a toothed **** on the tuner shaft, like the bass/treble ****. Also, the stereo is a two piece radio - the multiplex unit is connected to the radio via a cable.
Ohhh yes. Just like the fader ***** for the '70's models I'm more familiar with. The stereo radio with multiplexer is certainly a rare breed and I may have to forget trying to find one. I've seen some '69 models that I believe would be the same except for the *****. Hey, half the fun of restoration is the search!
Old October 18th, 2023, 09:41 AM

Years ago I dismantled a 1967 that had both an AM/FM and 8 track. Sorry, I don't know how to tell the difference between the signal seeking wonderbar or not, but I could dig that one out and take some pictures for you. John
Old October 18th, 2023, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Years ago I dismantled a 1967 that had both an AM/FM and 8 track. Sorry, I don't know how to tell the difference between the signal seeking wonderbar or not, but I could dig that one out and take some pictures for you. John
Thanks, John - no worries about digging it out. I've spent some time this morning doing as much research as I can and I think my original thoughts were correct. Wonderbars were only mono, though they could be had with the optional rear speaker, and the stereo radios had no seek option as well as being two-piece with the multiplexer.
I think I've found enough info to also show me that the radio sizes were the same from '66-'70 and they are interchangeable, much like the '70-'72 Cutlass radios were.
Old October 18th, 2023, 12:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

You are correct. RPO U59 Wonderbar is mono, U58 was the only stereo radio option. U57 tape player had it's own stereo amp and thus could be used with any available radio.

Old October 18th, 2023, 12:18 PM

Thanks, Joe! That's the one page I've been looking for. Got my Chassis manual today... Now I hope I can get the car itself next week lol
Old October 18th, 2023, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsfan

The BiPhonic speaker adapter is the three pronged add in potentiometer which replaced the jumper of which you speak. The mono radio was the same, whether it was one or two speakered.
Old October 19th, 2023, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
I think I've found enough info to also show me that the radio sizes were the same from '66-'70 and they are interchangeable, much like the '70-'72 Cutlass radios were.
THAT'S why I didn't have the correct ***** - I bought a newer radio and didn't want to use the incorrect *****. I figured it would be harder to notice an incorrect bass/treble **** from '67 than it would to use both ***** from another year.
Old October 19th, 2023, 12:50 PM
Oldsdruid

I've had this Toronado mono AM-FM-WB taking up space for years. My 69's dash got butchered to install an aftermarket AM-FM-cassette before I got the car in 1986 so doubtful I ever install it. I'll guess 68-70, maybe 67, by the tuner pushbuttons. No *****, uses the prong type fader ****. Notice it DOES have the Toronado angled nose piece.

Working condition is unknown but the manual and pushbutton tune, AM and FM buttons, and Wonderbar and signal strength buttons all work smoothly. It has the dial light and power connector pigtails (the power/speaker wires were cut). Chrome has some flea bites.

Since it's unknown if it works, if it looks like something you'd be interested in how does $30 USD plus actual shipping cost sound? It IS heavy, probably between 7 and 10 lb. USPS money order works best, I'm not set up for any electronic payment.

Old October 19th, 2023, 01:28 PM

Rocket I sent you a PM
Old October 19th, 2023, 04:07 PM
4R5

Based on the date code of the output transistor of Rocketraider's set (690X) I would say it's a '69.
Old October 20th, 2023, 11:50 AM

Rocketraider, it took me about a year to track down that lightbulb holder on top of that radio (the one under the tape)! What an unobtainum item that turned out to be.