Hello everyone

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Hello everyone

Hello everyone I am the owner of a 89 Olds Toronado And i need some info on the Odo cluster ine is not working must of the time does anyone have any ideas on that?
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:57 AM

all of the last generation toros will have the the gauge failure, my has had it too,,there is a small cheap capcitor on the board behind the gauges that shorts out and fails..there are serveral options... find one in the bone yards(which i know they are hard too find there) there are many online junkyards as well..but..since all of the clusters will fail the one you get might not work or stop working shortly after if it has never failed and fixed properly(they all fail) so its impossible to know which ones has failed and been fixed ...get it?...cost less than 100 dollars...there are a few places online that will send you one that they say will for sure work..cost less than 300 dollars..then you can have it repaired.. Tasaki is the company who made the gauges for olds( well atleast for my 92 im sure) ..and at one time there was a contract that ONLY allowed them to dianose and repair the gauges..there fore...if you took it to a automotive electronics repair shop, all they would do is send it to tasaki and charge you more if you would have just sent it to tasaki yourself..so having it repaired is big bucks 300-800 dollars..since you have a 89 things might be a little different..but they all fail..and the long you use it when it has fail ....it will strees the other systems in the car and make them fail as well...so fix it soon...i suggest buying a "parts car" becuse you ll need it......
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Yea I am in the middle of looking for one now if you know of any near or far let me know please. Here is a site i found that does them a lil cheaper. Have you heard of them http://www.mrwhizard.com/services2.cfm
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:41 PM

never heard of them, but it seems kinda shady..autotrader.com should have a couple toros of your year
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:48 AM

hiyah

hey, you got a 89 too? Cool so do I, having all sorts of problems with it...I'm having the same problem as you too. I tried checking out the dealerships to see what they can do. One place said they charge 80 and up to fix my problem. Dunno. I like my car, you rarely see them. Down here I don't.
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Electrical problems

Those vehicles had major problems with the central power supply.
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Indeed
Hello everyone I am the owner of a 89 Olds Toronado And i need some info on the Odo cluster ine is not working must of the time does anyone have any ideas on that?

Could be anything from the cluster itself, the central power supply or the body control module and anything in between as far as loose or bad connections especially the data lines and power ground connections. Check your diagnostic trouble codes. If it turns out to be the cluster, I have two for sale.
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:49 AM

I don't know anything specific about Toronado gauges failing in the late 80s but definitely check your trouble codes (as someone state earlier). Also, if there is a component that is failing such as a capacitor then you should be able to take the circuit board out, desolder the faulty component and take it to the local Radio Shak to find a replacement. There are codes on electrical components that indicate their electrical values and the guys at Radio Shak should be able to decode it for you.