Outside door mirror installation, '67 Toro

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2023, 05:01 AM

Outside door mirror installation, '67 Toro

I have the wrong mirror on the driver's door and I'm adding a mirror to the passenger side. I assume the holes I need to drill on the passenger door would match the holes I'll find on the driver's side, unless someone tells me differently. Also, is there supposed to be a backing/support plate on the inside of the door for the mounting screws/bolts? I've been digging for the information in the various manuals but can't seem to find the pages that show the mirror installation. Thanks for any help!
Old December 12th, 2023, 06:06 AM

I think I figured out that the double walled construction of the door skin doesn't leave any room for a metal backing panel of any kind. There might be a way to install a U-nut of some kind on the driver's side, but not the passenger. It appears that all driver's doors were equipped to take a remote mirror, but I don't have one of those. I'm going to mirror (ha!) the driver's door screw mounting holes to install the passenger side piece. It's not the function, it's the look!
Old December 12th, 2023, 08:45 AM

I have the drvr mirror off mine. It just has screws in the door skin
Old December 12th, 2023, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jetmek
I have the drvr mirror off mine. It just has screws in the door skin
It seems so FLIMSY, and the previous screws distorted the metal door skin so badly I had to take a hammer and flatten the spots to install the new one. I realized that Fusick hasn't delivered my mirror gasket for the passenger side, so that will have to wait until Thursday or Friday to install. Plenty of other things to do before then.
Old December 12th, 2023, 10:32 AM

Non remote attaching bracket.
Old December 12th, 2023, 02:44 PM

Was a passenger side mirror even an option on these things? The first time I backed up my Toro that was the very first thing that jumped out at me. I didn't even realize that I didn't have one until I started reversing. It feels all wrong not having one there.

Seems pretty odd to me to not have one in such a big car that is very well equipped otherwise. I guess I am just spoiled by having a passenger mirror in every other car I've ever owned.
Old December 12th, 2023, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
Was a passenger side mirror even an option on these things? The first time I backed up my Toro that was the very first thing that jumped out at me. I didn't even realize that I didn't have one until I started reversing. It feels all wrong not having one there.

Seems pretty odd to me to not have one in such a big car that is very well equipped otherwise. I guess I am just spoiled by having a passenger mirror in every other car I've ever owned.
Yeah, it was an option, and I'm surprised not more cars have it. I've seen an NOS mirror box and it says "LH and RH", so I have to assume the mirrors were the same. And since they're held on with two screws, they don't take longer than 5 minutes to install.
Old December 12th, 2023, 04:01 PM

Gotta say I REALLY appreciate that olds made the left and right mirrors the same. The right mirror would be unobtanium otherwise. I have a dodge for which a right mirror is impossible to get, and of course has the "mopar tax". I add the right side mirror to every old car. Too many other vehicles in the driveway and garage to not have extra eyes.