Springs on Exhaust Manifold to Pipe Connection

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2024, 05:27 AM

Springs on Exhaust Manifold to Pipe Connection

Hi All:

When I installed BOTH Bolt, washer, spacer and spring to connect my 67 Toronado exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe, the joint become loose and with unaceptable leak. Parts utilized are used and original from other Toro. The spacer went through the flange as it shoul be.The donut gasket is the correct one from Felt-Pro. Anyone had similar problem? or any advice where I have to start looking from?, as always any help is greatly appreciated. Best Regards. Raul.
Old April 13th, 2024, 07:51 AM

I'm hoping to benefit from anyone who might have a good answer here, as I am close to exhaust assembly but I do not have the correct bolts or spacers - I'm planning to use what I think are serviceable replacements for what I see in the assembly manual. Are you sure the new donut is the same size as the original? Would using a shorter spacer help? Is your exhaust flange in the proper position? If you can post a picture or two it might help someone who has an idea, or if we could compare to someone who has one installed with no problems, maybe we could see some differences...
Old April 13th, 2024, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
I'm hoping to benefit from anyone who might have a good answer here, as I am close to exhaust assembly but I do not have the correct bolts or spacers - I'm planning to use what I think are serviceable replacements for what I see in the assembly manual. Are you sure the new donut is the same size as the original? Would using a shorter spacer help? Is your exhaust flange in the proper position? If you can post a picture or two it might help someone who has an idea, or if we could compare to someone who has one installed with no problems, maybe we could see some differences...
Mine is a '66 but I think they're the same and I think everything is still stock. I did replace the donut gasket last year and I put everything back the way I found it. I'll post some pics below.
Old April 13th, 2024, 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

What is the condition of the springs? Are they even the correct ones? On other cars (like the 307 cars), I've had these springs distort with age, which prevents them from providing the correct clamping force. Also, do you have the spacers in place and are they installed properly?

Old April 13th, 2024, 08:46 AM

These pics are from a couple years ago. I'm not sure if they're pre-gasket replacement or post.

Old April 13th, 2024, 08:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Looks to be assembled correctly. You might want to try new springs. Search the P/N, they are available on ebay.
Old April 13th, 2024, 09:11 AM

Joe: The picture posted is NOT from my application but from a colaborator. I believe I have all the correct things in place and as suggested I will resintalled them and post a picture. Thansk to everybody.

Last edited by Gauchobyte; April 13th, 2024 at 09:15 AM. Reason: error
Old April 13th, 2024, 09:14 AM

Hi Bob: A shorter spacer hepled, I actually made two 1/4" shorter and they seal much better but still not enough. A picture is on its way in a few days. Tx.
Old April 14th, 2024, 01:17 PM

Hi All: I am attaching a short video of my arrangement as promised. I Believe now I understand what is happening: The flange is deformed at the bolt locations, this is because previous connection was done with overtightened all threaded bolts without spacer nor springs. This is why shorter spacer are needed but even so is not enough for a correct seal. I may need to take them out and straight them or get new ones, are they available?, Please if someone agree or not in this diagnosis do not hesitate to say so, as always thanks for your patience and help. Best. Raul.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7976.MOV (10.20 MB, 8 views)

Last edited by Gauchobyte; April 14th, 2024 at 01:20 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old April 14th, 2024, 01:40 PM

Nothing on eBay or internet with that part number. Maybe try that exhaust guy in Ohio - www.waldronexhaust.com
Old April 14th, 2024, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gauchobyte
Hi All: I am attaching a short video of my arrangement as promised. I Believe now I understand what is happening: The flange is deformed at the bolt locations, this is because previous connection was done with overtightened all threaded bolts without spacer nor springs. This is why shorter spacer are needed but even so is not enough for a correct seal. I may need to take them out and straight them or get new ones, are they available?, Please if someone agree or not in this diagnosis do not hesitate to say so, as always thanks for your patience and help. Best. Raul.
I'm not able to see the video, but are you even able to take off the bent flanges to straighten them? I know that the bends in my new pipes are such that mine cannot come off. yours may be different. New flanges are available for sure - I got some from Inline Tube a year or so ago. OPGI also carries them. You'll have to search for them as a Cutlass part, not Toronado, but the size should be the same.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; April 14th, 2024 at 06:18 PM.
Old April 15th, 2024, 07:05 AM

Bob: Not tried yet to remove them, my space and tools are not exactly appropiate to deal with exhaust, but I will try or give it to someone. Tx for the tip on sourcing.Raul
Old April 15th, 2024, 09:01 AM

Those springs and bolts look very much like the NAPA kits for many Gm exhaust connections, may be worth the look.
Old April 16th, 2024, 08:53 AM

Although a little out of topic, can someone please confirm the OEM diameters of the exhaust pipes on a 1967 Toronado is 2 1/4", mine is definitively non-stock and has been reduced after the manifold joint. Regards. Raul.
Old April 16th, 2024, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gauchobyte
Although a little out of topic, can someone please confirm the OEM diameters of the exhaust pipes on a 1967 Toronado is 2 1/4", mine is definitively non-stock and has been reduced after the manifold joint. Regards. Raul.
I just had a full set made to stock specs, and they are 2-1/4" from the manifold to the muffler, but the pipes from the muffler to the tips (I did not add resonators) are 2".
Old April 16th, 2024, 04:28 PM

Tx Bob!, BTW flange for a 65-71 425 is part #394299 2 7/16" ID.
Old April 17th, 2024, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by torotoyguy
Nothing on eBay or internet with that part number. Maybe try that exhaust guy in Ohio - www.waldronexhaust.com
You must've not used the right part number.
587575. Plenty to be had on ebay.
Here's a good deal on the GM springs. Shows 4, but the ad says you get 5 for 16.99 plus any taxes. Ask them first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364609589966

Also a Dorman p/n 03080 you can probably get at the local box store, but they're likely chinesium.

Old April 17th, 2024, 11:24 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I put that part number in Rock Auto and got a hit for $3.41/each. They also said they are available in a kit. Here is the link for the spring.

More Information for DORMAN 03080 (rockauto.com)
Old April 17th, 2024, 11:32 AM

You're right - that was a bad post on my part - I should have included the part number.
I was responding as to sourcing the spacer, #587574 - no where to be found. Also, #394299 flange are non-existent.
But like you said, springs #587575 are all over the place on eBay.
Old April 17th, 2024, 12:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The spring number I used was 03080.