Wiper switch triggers ON too easily - '67 Toro

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2023, 08:01 AM

Wiper switch triggers ON too easily - '67 Toro

I'm not sure if anyone else has this issue, but when I got this car the wiper switch was unplugged, which I thought was odd - until I plugged it in. Then I soon found that the wiper switch wouldn't stay OFF when pressed - the slightest movement of the car would flip with switch back to low speed. OK, so I get a replacement switch and give it a good cleaning, and it works fine - but the slightest touch flips it ON, just like my current switch. It's a total hair trigger. I have a broken one from which I removed the rear panel, and these are simple press connections for low and high speeds - but nothing is in there to hold the OFF position other than light pressure from a copper blade, which isn't enough. Anyone else have this problem and solve it?
Old December 18th, 2023, 08:45 AM

Well, I guess not. So let’s break stuff.

I pulled back the tabs holding the back plate on, and found the contacts are similar to a relay inside. The issue was the pressure strap that pushed against the pointed back side of the toggle switch. There wasn’t enough pressure to hold the switch in place. A little pulling and bending and trial and error work got things where I thought it felt right. I carefully slipped the back on, making sure the contacts were where they belonged, and bent the retaining tabs back down. The switch works and is ready for installation as soon as I pull the gauge cluster.

It’s interesting how the electronics in these cars are really just mechanical switches. The last pic is from the broken switch I practiced on, showing the pointed tail that clicks into and out of these detents in the pressure spring to hold the switch in off, low, or high.

Old December 19th, 2023, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
Well, I guess not. So let’s break stuff.

I pulled back the tabs holding the back plate on, and found the contacts are similar to a relay inside. The issue was the pressure strap that pushed against the pointed back side of the toggle switch. There wasn’t enough pressure to hold the switch in place. A little pulling and bending and trial and error work got things where I thought it felt right. I carefully slipped the back on, making sure the contacts were where they belonged, and bent the retaining tabs back down. The switch works and is ready for installation as soon as I pull the gauge cluster.

It’s interesting how the electronics in these cars are really just mechanical switches. The last pic is from the broken switch I practiced on, showing the pointed tail that clicks into and out of these detents in the pressure spring to hold the switch in off, low, or high.
Thanks for the pics and info

Old December 19th, 2023, 06:47 AM

Great detective work!!
And thank you for taking the time to post these as I may have an idea now if my 67 starts having similar issues....