4 speed shifter question

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2009, 11:05 AM

4 speed shifter question

My Car came originally with a 4 speed, but It didn't have a console. I have a console to add I am assuming I need the brackets that go to the floor, but do i need the bent style shifter? mine is straight has 442 stamped on it. Also my floor did not have the 4 speed "hump" part of the floor was butchered and i repaired that, based on the rolled lip on the uncut portion did 69's have the hump? or was it just a whole in the floor with a larger boot and then the smaller boot that is with the console? I did have the console mounted but it was kinda rigged wanted to reinstall it right when i get there.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
My Car came originally with a 4 speed, but It didn't have a console. I have a console to add I am assuming I need the brackets that go to the floor, but do i need the bent style shifter? mine is straight has 442 stamped on it. Also my floor did not have the 4 speed "hump" part of the floor was butchered and i repaired that, based on the rolled lip on the uncut portion did 69's have the hump? or was it just a whole in the floor with a larger boot and then the smaller boot that is with the console? I did have the console mounted but it was kinda rigged wanted to reinstall it right when i get there.
You 69 should use the same shifter for both console and non-console applications. It was the 70-72 cars that used different shifters for console and non-console because the 70-72 console requires the shifter to be centered in the console. The 64-69 consoles have the shifter offset towards the driver.
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Thank you Joe....

what i wouldn't give to have Blackberry access to that noggin of yours while i do this resto LOL...

what about the hump in the floor? it seems it never had one but they seem cheap enough, so if i need to add it would rather do it to make it correct.

The more i thought about if I needed the bent shifter i might just skip the console take out the strato buckets and add a bench seat ! I always loved the look of a bench seat with a 4 speed...
Old March 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Trying to remember member

No hump on your '69 Eddie. Yes, you'll need the console brackets.
Actually, I think the "no console" look is pretty cool. It takes a large boot that is now reproduced. There is a steel mounting ring that goes over the bottom boot flange to secure it to the floor. There is a second boot flange right above it that goes over the flange *and* the carpet.
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM

thank you!!

Thanks for that!, yeah the portion of the floor that wasn't butchered had what looked like factory screw holes for a roundish boot, mine came with the go fast hurst biggazz square thing hahahahaha (with that go fast chrome plate LOL) ok will order the brackets... another step I can check off....