TH350 no third gear

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2024, 09:32 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

TH350 no third gear

I installed a Transgo shift kit and no longer have high gear. I also changed the transmission modulator, pretty sure the old one was pulling in trans fluid into the engine. It was used but good when used last. I ordered a new US made replacement. The line is connected and braided thick wall. I even replaced one kinked cooler line. The pan was full of crud dying behind a 403. Any thoughts ate appreciated.
Old May 5th, 2024, 10:23 AM
Running On Empty

I was thinking one or the other item(s): (1) Modulator or (2) Incorrect throttle cable adjustment. I did find what appears to be a pretty decent conversation you might consider - 70'sForever appears pretty knowledgeable w/ some discussion regarding shift kit.
https://www.chevelles.com/threads/th...rd-gear.79100/
Old May 5th, 2024, 12:01 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Thanks, those were my thoughts as well. Since I have SEFI, I have an aftermarket bracket, it criss crosses over. I have an adjustable TV, backed it off but will actually unhook it and go for a drive. I only need this POS to work for a year to save for the 5 speed swap.
Old May 5th, 2024, 12:18 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

TV cable did nothing.
Old May 5th, 2024, 12:30 PM

The TH350 doesn't have a TV cable. All the cable does is make a forced downshift and increase line pressure. You can run the TH350 without the cable however you will have to manually downshift.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I installed a Transgo shift kit and no longer have high gear. I also changed the transmission modulator, pretty sure the old one was pulling in trans fluid into the engine. It was used but good when used last. I ordered a new US made replacement. The line is connected and braided thick wall. I even replaced one kinked cooler line. The pan was full of crud dying behind a 403. Any thoughts ate appreciated.
Did you replace any pistons or spool valves from the Trans-Go kit ? If you did, put the originals back in to see if that works.
Old May 6th, 2024, 05:29 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by 66SportCoupe
The TH350 doesn't have a TV cable. All the cable does is make a forced downshift and increase line pressure. You can run the TH350 without the cable however you will have to manually downshift.
Yes, kick down cable, used to messing with a 2004R trans.
Old May 6th, 2024, 05:37 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Did you replace any pistons or spool valves from the Trans-Go kit ? If you did, put the originals back in to see if that works.
I will look in the box and see. I did the base kit tune. This trans had super soft shifts before the kit. They are only normal now, far from firm. I am not a fan of the TH350 and this one isn't changing my mind.
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:28 PM

Does it have reverse?

Go back and double check the transfer plate at the front of the transmission. Make absolutely sure the spacer plate, transfer plate, and support are in the correct order.

While the pan is off, make sure the kickdown linkage goes back to its normal resting spot.

Make sure the valves in the valve body are free to move, and snap back to their original resting spot with authority. If they don’t snsp back, more than likely you raised a burr when removing/installing valves, or there is debris jamming things up.

If you don’t see anything obvious, call TransGo tech support. I have talked with Dave and Glenn over the years, both of them are very knowledgeable.
Old May 6th, 2024, 05:37 PM

As stated, check the transfer plate, I have seen the one from the kit installed on THM-350's without putting the stock plate back over this. Without the stock plate covering the kit plate which has the slots and passages, it cancels out reverse and high because all the fluid pressure gets instantly dumped back into the pan. I may be wrong but I think the purpose of the shift kit plate is to double-feed the reverse/high clutch. This is done by the slots in it, sealed up by the stock plate. In other words, the kit plate is sandwiched between the stock plate and valve body. Hope this helps along with the advice of others.
Old May 6th, 2024, 09:54 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Yes, reverse works fine.
Old May 7th, 2024, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
As stated, check the transfer plate, I have seen the one from the kit installed on THM-350's without putting the stock plate back over this. Without the stock plate covering the kit plate which has the slots and passages, it cancels out reverse and high because all the fluid pressure gets instantly dumped back into the pan. I may be wrong but I think the purpose of the shift kit plate is to double-feed the reverse/high clutch. This is done by the slots in it, sealed up by the stock plate. In other words, the kit plate is sandwiched between the stock plate and valve body. Hope this helps along with the advice of others.
that’s exactly the purpose of the transfer plate. If you study the hydraulic charts you will see that the direct drum is split into 2 separate chambers. One chamber is used in high gear, both in reverse. By removing the seal that separates them, and blocking off the reverse feed, you basically double the clamping force on the clutches.

Most people omit the seal and block the feed hole during an overhaul. It’s a much better way to do it. Unfortunately, it requires transmission removal and teardown. The shift kit and transfer plate is an easier way to accomplish the dual feed.

If it had 3rd gear before the shift kit, more than likely it’s something you did during the installation. Did you put the gaskets in the correct spot? Springs installed correctly?
Old May 10th, 2024, 07:57 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Yes, pretty sure on both. I will let you know on the vacuum modulator. I did change that with a used one at the same time. It may have gone bad, was Ok. I didn't remove the spring for thr modulator. I did go back in the replace the check *****, missed that. Thought it was all correct. All other gears work normally, just no third. Will see after I get the new modulator installed, nothing comes quickly up here.