TH350 spewing fluid on startup

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM

TH350 spewing fluid on startup

I am not sure what the heck is wrong with my transmission. I changed the trans pan gasket a few months ago, and now it spews trans fluid only when I start it. When it's running, it doesn't leak. When it sits (after dripping) it doesn't leak. It's only on startup, and it's a lot. I'm thinking it may be due to some pressure buildup somewhere in the trans, but it shifts fine.

To be more precise, it seems to be coming from the passenger side, right in the center of the length of the trans pan, looks to be right below that circular molding in the passenger side of the trans.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:40 PM

May be the seal on the 1-2 accumulator cover. You need to clean it off and check it again to see exactly where it is coming from. If it is the cover, you can remove the snap ring, and install a new o-ring. Make sure all the parts (spring, piston, etc), stay in the place inside the cover.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM

I agree with goatwgn on this one, have had that seal cause fits in the past on various GM cars in the past. Somehow the cover would get a little cocked to one side when it would cool off, and when started up, there was enough pressure of oil to make a mess, but it took a few seconds to build up enough to move the darn cover over the seal and end snap ring. There is a lot of volume being moved, thus the mess! It is a simple fix, but you may need a little dexterity to get to the spot! And yes, oil will spill when the cover is removed to replace the seal. Make sure it is scrupulously clean when you do the job, dirt or grit can scratch the seal and cause it to mis-align, making the headache continue!