Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1950 tudor attaching door hinge sealing strip

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2014, 01:04 PM

Location: San Francisco area in formerly wonderful California
1950 tudor attaching door hinge sealing strip

This is fabric piece that goes between the door and the cowl. Is it glued or what? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks---Bill
Old February 7th, 2014, 07:27 PM

To my knowledge the is no fabric seal between the door and the cowl on any model of the '49-50 Olds.
There is a large rubber seal that attaches to the cowl and fender.. Bill
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:33 PM

sealing strip

Fusic calls it a "Body Hinge Pillar to door sealing strip" and one side attaches to the cowl below the windshield post (A pillar???) behind the hinges. The other side attaches somewhere and I assumed by the name, the door. The die cut edge matches the shape of the door or the fender.

My question then is where exactly does it go and how is it attached? Glue or what?

The ones that came off my car were in terrible shape and all I have is part of the piece and the metal hook at the bottom that is screwed to the A pillar

Thanks foor any help---Bill
Old February 8th, 2014, 07:35 PM

I have purchased the door seals you are talking about for my '50 Olds.. The piece is a large rubber affair that attaches to the cowl in front of the hinges. It is then loosely attached to the front fender.. without this seal there would be a large gap between the fender/cowl and subsequently a large gapping path to the door.
The seal does not actually attach to the door, the constant flexing caused by the opening of the door would cause the seal to fail very quickly..
It could be that the original seal had a fiber, cloth like core, I'm not sure if the re-pops have this feature..
If you have read through my postings to my '49 olds 88 club sdn topic, you will note that the front ends on the '49-50 Olds is very difficult to properly install..
The doors have to be fitted to the cowl/body, then the hood has to be fitted to the cowl/fenders. After the doors and hood have been properly installed, the front fenders and related sheet metal can be installed.
I separated the inner fender splash pans from the fenders prior to having them stripped/dipped. In lieu of re-spot welding them like original, I bolted them to the fenders with 1/4" shoulder headed bolts and nuts.. This gives the illusion of being more consistent with new cars and allowed for the panels to be powder coated in a satin black. Bill
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:17 PM

Wow! Good idea on the inner panels.

Re the seal, does it firmly attach to the fender via the two bolt holes in the A pillar or is it just loose in there? It looks like the straight edge is mounted on the A pillar with cut edge facing front then folded back over itself. Also, at the top there are three "flaps", the center one with a hole that doesn't line up with anything....
Thanks for your help
Bill